Infinite Omega - Part Two

Infinite Omega - Part Two

A Story by WizardsAffliction
"

Part Two Title: "The Beginning is in the End" This is part two in a six-part short story romance where two souls in the Afterlife struggle to reach eternity.

"

 All things are long and some forgotten, and these things never remembered may haunt us.


Suppose I remember my final seconds. In my opinion, it would be more fitting if I didn't. Guess I wanted it over rather quickly. Unfortunately, I don't feel any better dead than I did alive, if I'm yet allowed to feel anything in my current state. Speaking of state, I believe this is Ohio. Rather dreadful place if you ask me. This extreme fog and dim lighting sort of dampens my mood. But only sort of. There's no pain; I'm not exactly satisfied, but at least I'm not suicidal. D****t, I made a joke and no one is around to hear it. What in the world is that light over yonder? It's quite bright, seemingly a pale blue, flickering in the distance like flames joining hands with the wind.


At least you know you're dead, Hunt.


Though its tone was a whisper, it could have been heard as if someone screamed it into a megaphone. Eyebrows furrowed in confusion, I reply: “How the hell do you know my name...uh...whoever you are...who are you?”


To which question would you like me to answer, sir?


A beat goes by.


“Uh, both, please.”


I am Grim, he who ferried you from the living into the Afterlife. So of course I know your name, young Mr. Hunt. I'm pleased to see that you've adjusted to your transition so well.


I showed a half-smile, still perambulating aimlessly along, as if there were no issue with me talking to myself out in the open like a lunatic. Then again, what was deemed lunacy alive could be considered perfectly normal among the dead. If there were any other souls to communicate with, that is.


“Mr. uh...Grim. I DID make the choice to come here, so I can't exactly be shocked by all this, though I'm a tad disappointed it's not hell. I was always curious 'bout that place, and now I'll never know.”


Hell, sir?


I stop in my tracks, looking all around me with mock bewilderment cast upon my face.


“Is that a serious question? Or are you toying with me?”


I never 'toy', Mr. Hunt.


I shrug my shoulders and give him a quick summary of the Bible, particularly its depictions of Hell being a theme park that rivals those like Disneyland and Six Flags, but of course, he's also a stranger to sarcasm. You'd think that others who have died would have been kind enough to stimulate conversation with him. I'd say not given his lack of knowledge thus far. I'm still pissed off about having no one else around, not that Grim's company isn't welcoming. He's just entirely impossible to relate to.


“Grim, please tell me there's someone else about to spring up and greet me. I'm getting bored here.”


Marla should be arriving soon.


I continue pacing; the name inspired no pause whatsoever in my step.


“Who is this Marla chick?”


That 'chick', as you so aptly put it, sir, is your Half.


Okay. That made me freeze like ice in the coldest winter.


“My...Half?”


Yes, sir.


I sigh, slightly irritated with his ignorance once more, pinching the bridge of my nose like I was attempting to rub away a headache.


“There was a question within that question, Grim.”


I'm not sure I understand you, Hunt.


“Too true. I mean that not only did I need confirmation on what you just said, I also needed an explanation on what the flying circus that 'Half' stuff means.”


Your Half is the key to eternity, sir. Without her, your soul is, literally speaking, lost.


I roll my eyes.


“Enough with the cryptic nonsense bologna! What are you babbling on about?”


You will become nothing. No thoughts. No feelings. As if existence never even occurred.


I'm fairly confident that I'm not existing at this particular juncture of my career. Well, physically. It's the thought that truly counts. As I chuckle to myself for a bit, I come to the realization that Grim probably thinks I was amused by the notion of being blinked away like dust to cloth, with not even a memory of my presence to linger. At the moment, I'm inclined to be indifferent.


What's so bemusing?


“Um..Nothing. Anyway... How long do I have?”


One cycle.


“I have no clue what that means.”


Half the life of a living soul, of course. Now I must bid thee farewell. There are other souls that need transport.


In that fraction of time, the blue flames over atop the hill vanished in a plume of thick, grey smoke, revealing a gravel road lined with torches on either side, blazing with various different colors as though it were struck by a rainbow. Something within me pulls my essence forward and I float along the wind, which was now picking up in speed and strength, carrying me faster and faster toward my destination.


Wherever that may be...




Marla awoke, drawing in a huge breath as panic urged her heart to thump at a quickened pace. She looked all around wildly, the unknown closing in around her, allowing fear to choke on her lungs so her breathing became a hard, laborious task. As she sat up, some burst of blue flame erupted in the skies above, echoing her name as it boomed.


Marla!


She then had the courage to control herself so calm could settle in and relax her cardio to a steady love tap inside her chest. Being afraid would get her nowhere, she realized. She would have to face whatever came at her next, whether it be friend or foe, with the utmost confidence she could muster.


“Who are you?” she bellowed, hoping the voice could receive her through the roar of the wind and the rain pelting down like bullets from the clouds. Then suddenly, as soon as it all began, everything found complacence and the sun came out to play with her skin, drawing out a smile with its lightest touch. The voice called out her name once more, this time in a friendly, affectionate tone.


Marla...


“Who are you?” she asked again, with additional force behind the words.


My name is Hunt.


“You know, you kind of freaked me out a moment ago,” she stated, glaring intensely like a thousand suns melting the polar ice caps.


Sorry about that. I thought it would...


Then a flash of white, like being knocked in the head. Her back found the ground, and she lay still, immobilized by an invisible power. Everywhere she could see there was bright, bright light, but it didn't sting her eyes like it normally would, or should, for any regular human being. It was then she discovered that she was not even alive. Death had tagged her and made her its own. She could at least be grateful that it was on her own terms.


“Marla Trin,” said a cool, raspy voice to her left, and it was there she looked. Her eyes grew exponentially when she noticed he was nude. Not only that, but his stomach seemed as if it were chiseled by some sort of god, and his body had an interesting golden hue on its surface: it glowed like a dazzling jewel in the current setting. But his face was most admirable: round near the jaw and cheek bones, with a small, though slightly pointy, nose resting beneath a set of bright copper-colored eyes, speckled with black and yellow as they angled this way and that. He quickly brushed silver hair from his sight and toyed with it as he slid a handful backward over his head, giving it an even messier, disheveled appearance.


“Who..who are you?” she mumbled with great effort, still in awe of the vision before her. This man was absolutely gorgeous. She could feel a tingly feeling emanating from her loins, and, biting her lip, chose to ignore it as much as possible.


“I am Hunt. Your Half.”


“My what?” She blinked, understanding blank upon her face. He smiled, and such a gesture drove her imagination wild, sparking flames within her she thought so long ago were doused out. Why did she feel so immensely attracted to him? It was something past his looks that drew her to him like a magnet to metal, rivaling that of gravity. She did not know what it was, but she wanted desperately to find out.


“A Half is a literal soulmate. Someone you must pair with in order to survive eternity in the Afterlife.” As he said this, he pulled on a white cloak with a cowl, lifting it above his head and shadowing his countenance.


“But you don't seem like a human soul,” noted Marla, slowly leaning up. She cracked her neck and breathed out slowly. Then, she withdrew her blankets and her jaw dropped. Traced along her lightly tanned skin were markings, all glowing orange mixed with red, burning like a passionate fire.


She could hear the faint sound of harsh laughter as she moaned in impermissible pleasure, knowing she shouldn't feel this way toward him. An element in his vocalization sent shivers down her spine, keeping her grounded and immobile. And then:


That is NOT Hunt!


Had she heard a voice inside her head? This would be a terrible time to become senile.


Marla, please heed me! That man is not your Half. Hunt is on his way, but you must hold out!


Hold out? Against what? She tried to move but it was as though she were strapped down like a mental patient. Hunt, or whoever the hell he was, turned back around, smiling that same amazing smile, but she did not return the favor.


“Ah, Grim,” he began, “Why must you always attempt to foil my plans?”


Menace bubbled from his lips and emanated in a soft chuckle.


“Time to return home, my dearest Marla.”



© 2013 WizardsAffliction


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
Added on October 30, 2013
Last Updated on October 30, 2013
Tags: romance humor afterlife death lo

Author

WizardsAffliction
WizardsAffliction

NE



About
Please Note: My reviews are a commentary on the writing, and NOT the person. Though they may seem harsh, they are merely observations that can either be considered seriously and possibly implement.. more..

Writing