Mrs Travers

Mrs Travers

A Story by Griselda
"

Cassie's parents have a lodger, but only she can see her.

"
Mrs Travers.

Mrs.Travers lives in the spare room.
She catches me looking at her when my mother cleans the room for guests. Family members stay but not as regular as they used to, they complain of the cold and even with the heating turned to full blast there's still a chill in the air.
I sometimes sneak a look and I see her standing by the window. Maybe she's waiting for someone to come and collect her, I don't really know as I'm only eleven years old. My dad says I have an old head on young shoulders though, apparently I think more than I should.
My name is Cassie, short for Cassandra. Mum likes Greek mythology and this Cassandra had the gift of prophecy. That means being able to see what happens before it does.
I once knew my Grandpa had died and no one believed me until they got the phone call.
"He's gone" I cried, and he waved to me then disappeared. I say things and I get laughed at. Like I knew my mum was having a boy before she even knew she was having a baby.
They want me to change rooms, the baby will be better in my room because it's smaller and warmer. The big room is better for me as I'll have room for a desk to do my homework. I can choose the colours and get a new bed but I don't want to go in there as I don't want to share.
I wish Mrs.Travers would leave. Move into my parents room or even the kitchen, I could maybe get her out of the house then. She could stay in the garden shed, I'd decorate it for her if she wanted, but I don't really know exactly what she does want.
I asked one of our neighbours about the people who lived here before us but they've only been here about a year before my parents moved in. I might look on the internet but I don't really have a clue what it is to look for. I asked one of my teachers and she thinks it's a great idea to look into the history of my home, I think I'll do that.

"No wonder we got it cheap" screamed my mum when I told her.  The baby's due in two months and they're getting my room sorted for him. Dad thinks it's a joke but its all there on the internet. 
Mr. Travers murdered his wife in MY new room, dad saw the police report and everything, including the pictures. He wouldn't show mum or me but him and uncle Steve had really disgusting looks on their faces.
This woman came this morning with a candle and some smelly stuff, she went into the bedroom and shook a stick about, she hummed some funny humming noises and left.
"Is that it?" asked my dad " 59 quid for that"
Mum told me to be strong for her, she told me the bad atmosphere has gone and if I see anymore strange things I have to shout for her. I'm going to keep quiet though, dad's worried about losing his job and mum's ready to drop so they have enough to think about.
I've chosen lemon for my room, nice and bright with daisies on my bedcovers. 
Mrs.Travers smiled at me from her seat by the window, I think she likes the room.

© 2013 Griselda


Author's Note

Griselda
Some feedback please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Has just the right amount of creepiness to send a chill up your spine. Good job.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
1 Review
Added on July 21, 2013
Last Updated on July 21, 2013
Tags: ghost, sad, scared.

Author

Griselda
Griselda

NJ



Writing
Sweet sixteen Sweet sixteen

A Story by Griselda