Secrets & Lies - Chapter Two

Secrets & Lies - Chapter Two

A Story by Hope_Lescase
"

this is a part I wrote for the Dark Heresy story, It's quite enjoyable and gripping (as said by one reader)

"

One thing Shiv would miss from her long years spent in the Vault was always braiding her hair after every wash. Knowing that she was returning to her previous life, more or less with a tight leash, the assassin dyed her hair the crimson red she had before her incarceration. If she was going back to work, she was going to do it right and return to her former glory when everyone lived in fear of her.

By Terra’s hour, it was just turning dawn. Soon, the assassin would be meeting the two other acolytes that would accompany her on this mission. It gave her no pleasure. From experience, Shiv worked more efficiently alone rather than with a group - as there was more baggage to carry and more people to worry about. Trying to understand how she would even get anything done with two comrades slowing her down, Shiv strode into the training room; a good, hard exercise would help prepare her for what lay ahead, and her new, companions.

The doors to the training room slid open, and as she crossed the threshold, there was the unmistakable noise of grunting. Glancing past the tracks that ran the length of the room, the weapon training room, and the deactivated servitor training dummies. Shiv found a soldier practicing hand-to-hand combat.

He was strongly built, with a ruddy complexion. His short black hair barely moved. Focused solely on his training, he did not hear the doors slide open.

Seeking a great opportunity, the assassin decided to test her skills to see if she was still the fearsome killer she once was. Slowly, Shiv snuck behind the man, waited for half a heartbeat, then spoke in a deadly tone, “It’s easier to practice with another partner.”

If he was shocked, he barely showed it as he swung his leg around, ready to defend himself from an oncoming attack.

Unblinkingly, Shiv caught his boot before it made contact with her head; she stopped him dead in the air.

“You…” his dark eyes furrowed as he recognized the shackled woman he had seen walking the hallway only yesterday.

“Me.” she cocked an eyebrow and threw off his boot.


He stumbled back, quickly regained his balance, and held his fists up. “What are you doing out of your shackles?”

With a smirk, she responded, “I was invited against my will.”

“Liar.” he threw the first punch, but she dodged the single strike.

“Oh no,” she retaliated, but he too successfully evaded. “It’s very true. Inquisitor Maellus asked me to work a mission. In return, I keep my life.”


What she thought would be an easy fight, turned dirty very quickly. As she spoke the last word, the man managed to slam his knuckles into her cheek and jaw. A drop of blood slipped from the corner of her lip, and the mark stung.

She still managed to smirk as she commented, “No ordinary man.”  she spat a wad of blood and saliva out before lunging after him; she had already planned her form of attack, and so had he.

Block, retaliate. Block, retaliate. It went on like this as the two sparred with equal strength and stamina. As the man tried to hit her again, she ducked forward beneath the swing and struck the side of his torso with rapid succession before quickly avoiding his elbow. However, he caught her leg, tried to throw her back. But she was proficient with balance and leapt over him like a cat.

Despite his size, Shiv realized only too late, that he was quicker than she had estimated. As she tried to cuff him with a right hook, he swiftly had his large hand around her neck and pressed her against the wall. Lifted a few inches off the ground, Shiv grabbed his wrist, trying to release his hold but he was undoubtedly stronger.

“Why would a mission for the Inquisition even catch your attention, Assassin?” he asked, ignoring her grunts and knowing exactly what she was.

Trying to breathe, Shiv smiled wryly, her white teeth bared. “It involves my heretical sister.”


Somehow enraged by this statement, he roughly slammed her against the wall again; there was the distinct cracking noise along her spine, but it was not enough to kill or even paralyze her. “Well, aren’t you just noble. While other assassins are avoiding the Inquisition, working their schedule and getting murdered in the process, you are just an animal on a leash. Huh?”

Angered that he would even suggest such a thing, Shiv kneed him with a well-aimed blow just above his groin. Released from his grasp, she had no time to recover as she grabbed his arm, twisted it behind him and hammered him against the wall. Increasing the pressure, the cold metal pressed against his hot, sweaty flesh as she pressed her knuckles into the base of his neck; the weakest spot. “Understand one thing, you lowlife. I am no one’s lap dog. I have no ‘master’. I am only doing this mission because I know how to hunt down assassins who disobey their orders. I know how to track an enemy even if there is no evidence.”

Grunting, trying to breathe oxygen, the man smirked and used her words, “No ordinary assassin.”

She released him and started to walk away. “If you ever call me such a thing again, I will not hesitate to kill you.”


Before she could walk out of the training room, the doors slid open again. An Adeptus Arbites Arbitrator walked in, glanced at the two opponents whom each had a black eye, and bruised necks, then stated, “Acolyte Krell, you requested to meet your Inquisitor. Acolyte Shiv, you are requested to meet your Inquisitor.”

Just as Krell was walking past her, she stopped him. Shiv glanced at her combatant and held out her hand, a fashion she was not used to and surprised herself by doing such a thing. “Well, it’s easy to spot an equal, Krell.”

Unsure of her intentions, the man went for her hand then gripped her wrist and twisted it behind her. They were similar in height as his dark brown eyes glared directly at her violet gaze. They were inches apart, but Krell threatened her with a dark grimace. “If I ever see you step outside the path of the Imperium, then I will end your life.”

Staring right at his coal black corneas, Shiv smirked, “I eagerly await that day.”


He released her with something short of disgust and stormed out. From studying his methods during their match, Shiv knew that she would have to watch her back.


********


Staring out the large paned windows that shielded the bright star as Imperial Battleships passed by, Inquisitor Leardo Rochelli had his hands to his back as he watched the fleet. How many acolytes had he seen and trained? How many of them failed the missions and fell to the lustful temptations of Chaos, or died at the hands of those they had been tasked to defeat? All of those trainees showed potential until they met their fate. Out of the two hundred acolytes, less than ten made it to the rank of Inquisitor.

There was the distinct noise of boot heels clicking; drawing closer. However, the Inquisitor knew he was in no danger.

“You requested my appearance, Lord Inquisitor?”

“Acolyte Lazarus Krell.” out of his peripheral vision, Rochelli watched with sharp grey eyes as the mature male bowed respectively, then stood next to him. His gaze was on the distant planet’s revolving sphere. Rochelli then noticed the swollen areas on his acolyte's eye and neck. Are you alright?

“Yes, sir.” Krell caught his superior glancing at the five thin discoloured lines on his neck. Oh. It's nothing. I was just training with another acolyte.

Training, you say?

Knowing Rochelli would get somehow get the truth later, Krell said quickly, “It was with Inquisitor Maellus's acolyte, the assassin?

“Ah...” he understood completely, “About that, effective immediately, You are being transferred to continue your training with Inquisitor Maellus.”

“Mi’Lord?” Krell was perplexed. Had he done something wrong to upset his superior? Did he not finish a mission correctly? Was he being punished for some obscure wrong? Doubts and fears filled his mind, and his tall stature fell slightly.

As if he had read his thoughts, Rochelli reassured him, “You are in no any trouble, Acolyte.”

Speaking out of turn, Krell asked, “Then why am I being transferred? I have learned more duties under your wing than any other superior.”

“That is why.” Rochelli answered without missing a beat. “While I respect my fellow Inquisitors, I cannot help but think that Inquisitor Maellus has made the wrong decision in employing such a dangerous female.”

Enlightenment dawned on Krell. “The assassin.”

“Yes. Maellus is aware of my worries and has failed in convincing me that she will work for the Imperium willingly. That is why I am requesting your transference.”

“You want me to spy on my fellow acolytes?”

“No. I want you to spy on a deadly assassin who knows no bounds. I fear she will try to escape, and may even turn against the Inquisition if a better deal is struck.”

Gazing back out into the vast emptiness of space, Krell felt a sense of misplacement. He trusted his Inquisitor without question, but he was no scum. “What signs do you want me to look for? I don’t know how assassins think.”

“Tell me when she lies. Disappears for odd hours. Is unusually silent. Anything she does that is against our laws.

Gazing out the large windows, Krell wanted to ask more questions, but he knew his place. He lifted his head just as the galaxy's sun arose from behind the large planet and could not help but think that this was a sign that the Emperor of Mankind was watching him.


© 2016 Hope_Lescase


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

358 Views
Added on June 2, 2016
Last Updated on June 2, 2016
Tags: Warhammer 40, 000, 40k, Dark Heresy, Assassin, Inquisition, battle, fight, spar, fantasy, sci-fi

Author

Hope_Lescase
Hope_Lescase

About
Day and Night, I sit by a computer, drinking coffee and tea, with my cat by my side. - Well, I love gardening and drawing. While it may seem boring to some, I know that I am penning new adventures.. more..

Writing
The Players The Players

A Chapter by Hope_Lescase