Point Bluff

Point Bluff

A Story by HoWiE

                                     Image result for sunshine road 
                 
 

It was a day like any other and the sun was shining on the coast road...

 

 The shimmering asphalt plunged and hugged the cliff edge affording wondrous views of the turning surf below. He angled the visor so that its shadow cut a slanting line across his cheekbones. The sun streamed in through the window and warmed his chest. She dozed in the passenger seat her head nodding gently as the car rocked to and fro. Her hands were clasped together in her lap and she toyed absently with the wedding band on her finger. He reached out for her and stroked the pale skin just above her watch. She felt his touch and her eyes fluttered open. She smiled.

“Do you want to stop for coffee?” He said. “There’s a little café up the way here.”

“Why not.”
 
They pulled into the little roadside café, the tyres crunching on the warm, chalky ground. The café was fronted by a decked veranda and populated by a handful of tables. He helped her out of the car. She smoothed her dress and smiled at him coyly.

“You look beautiful,” he said.

She slipped an arm through his and they walked, ignoring the enquiring eyes of others, across to the veranda. They chose a table in the sunshine. After a short while the young waitress came over, she looked them over and smiled.

“You two look stunning,” she whispered.

She adjusted her dress and ordered a green tea. He ordered a pot of coffee and scones with cream and jam.

“You’ll get fat,” she said with a wry smile. He gave a soft laugh and patted his belly protectively.
He reached out and took her fingers in his, stroking them gently. “How are you feeling?” He said.
“A little tired, it’s been a long drive,” she replied.

“Do you remember coming here years back? When we first started going out.”
She twisted in her seat, the corners of her eyes crinkling slightly. “Yes. It’s different now…”

He nodded. “The decking wasn't here and the honeysuckle and jasmine wasn't crawling up the back wall there. It’s prettier now.”

“It's funny how things change isn't it?”

“Yeah it is.” He stared off in the direction of the sea briefly, his mind wandering. A gentle squeeze of his hand brought him back and he blinked, shaking his head slightly. “This was the place we came with your parents. Remember? I was bringing the coffees out on the tray and caught my foot on the table leg…”
Her eyes sparkled and she put a hand to her mouth. “Oh my God yes!” She giggled.
He shook his head again, laughing. “I dumped the whole lot in your Dad’s lap.”
“That was so funny; my Mum was so embarrassed for you.”
“And man... your Dad was not happy.”
She smiled. “That was a good day…”
“Yeah it was…”

“It’s nice today…”

They feel into a distant quiet. She closed her eyes and tilted her face to the sun, relishing its warmth. A faint breeze tugged at her hair as she listened to the breakers crashing down onto the beach far below. He studied her features as they were illuminated by the sunlight, the curving sweep of her jaw line and cheekbone, gilt edged. Her eyelashes fluttered slightly. When she opened them again, her eyes were dewy. “I'm sorry,” she said, brushing a tear away with a finger.
He shook his head and whispered, “don’t be.”
 
A few miles up along the coast road they pulled up onto the grassy verge. He tossed the keys onto the driver's seat and fetched a picnic hamper and blanket from the boot before slipping around the side to help her from the passenger seat. Together they made the short walk to Point Bluff, the sea cliff that afforded the best view of the bay below.

“It’s beautiful,” she said, leaning against him, pressing her head against his chest and snaking an arm round his waist. “This is where you proposed.”

“This is where you accepted.”

They stared out across the glimmering seascape. The roll and swell of the water had subsided slightly as the tide began to retreat. The air was cool now, briny fresh and punctuated by the shrill, frantic call of seagulls.
 
They spread the blanket on the ground and drank champagne as the sun began to sink below the horizon. The sky blushed as they kissed and drew an inky blanket across them as they slipped into each other’s arms and watched the stars prickle into life.
 
Later, he stoked a small fire and listened to the crackling and snapping of the wood as the glowing embers floated upwards and danced, swirling in the darkness.  She fell asleep in his arms and he removed his suit jacket and draped it across her delicate frame.
 
She stirred as he shifted beside her. She felt his arms about her. She felt his heart throbbing in his chest, beating in steady cadence with hers. She looked down at the sweep and plunge of her wedding dress, the crushed grass stain at the hip and the blotted mascara, dark blooming at the sleeve.
 
The morning air was cooler now, briny fresh and punctuated by the occasional shrill, mournful call of seagulls.
 
The horizon shimmered and caught the tips of the waves, casting them as red-gold peaks. He pressed his lips to hers and whispered that he loved her.

She whispered back that she loved him too and that she was sorry. Sorry for everything.

“Don’t be,” he said. “I am so thankful that I met you. I am honoured that you chose to become my wife and I am so proud of you… so proud, in every way.”

“I just wish that I had been… stronger, that I could have fought,” she whispered. But it's taken so much...

“No man could have asked for more.”
“It’s not too late,” she said. “Not too late for you… it's my illness... it doesn't have to take both of us.”

He silenced her with a kiss.

“The world is nothing, if you’re not in it.”

She closed her eyes as he gathered her up, lifting her with ease. She rested her head against his chest, her cheek pressed against the boutonnière at his lapel. The scent of the gardenia heady and intoxicating.

“I love you.”

He stood, holding her gently, on the precipice. The breeze snagged at her dress and caused the tails of his suit to flutter and whip. The surf continued to roll in against the beach, a curious lullaby so far below.

“I love you too. So much...”

She tightened her arms about him; a final embrace. He closed his eyes and stepped out, his foot hovered just for a heartbeat in the emptiness...

And then they were gone.
 
It was a morning like any other and the sun was rising on the coast road…



 

sunsetkiss2.jpg Beach sunset kiss 3 image by stickisin

 

© 2018 HoWiE


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I loved the entire story...but the ending leaves a lot left open? What is she sorry for? Are they jumping to their deaths? Why? There are just so many unanswered questions. I absolutely love the way this was written, but there's just so much more left...open. I'd really love to see more to this. Other than that, really great job! You kept me captivated the entire time! :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I loved the entire story...but the ending leaves a lot left open? What is she sorry for? Are they jumping to their deaths? Why? There are just so many unanswered questions. I absolutely love the way this was written, but there's just so much more left...open. I'd really love to see more to this. Other than that, really great job! You kept me captivated the entire time! :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nice - a cliffhanger, if I may assume there's a pun. ;]
This had me hooked from the very first lines... beautifully written, and I wonder what she's sorry for.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I got that when he stepped, it was off a cliff. Am I the only one? Maybe I just have a dark mind lol.
Nice bit of writing Howser, but do tell. What exactly was it she was so sorry for?? Sam x

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Quite beautiful. Richly described. You took me there and I was with them every step of the way. Dying to know what she's sorry for. Dying to know what happens next.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It was great and all... I loved the story. You were building up, and up, and up, and we wanted to know what she was sorry for and were expecting a twist, but.... where was it? I am guessing you were going for a "Happily Ever After" moment. I liked it.... but would have liked it more if it had a twist. You have a talent for description and vocabulary.... but maybe you could have developed the story more. Good Job anyway :)


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

370 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 2, 2009
Last Updated on August 28, 2018
Tags: love

Author

HoWiE
HoWiE

Plymouth,, Devon, United Kingdom



About
Well, I'm back - it only took 8 years to get over my writer's block! Now 47, older, wiser and, for some reason, now a teacher having left the Armed Forces in 2012. The writing is slow going but .. more..

Writing
Jim Ad Infinitum Jim Ad Infinitum

A Story by HoWiE


Reboot Reboot

A Story by HoWiE



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Danny Danny

A Story by HoWiE


One Life One Life

A Story by HoWiE