A Most Usual Evening

A Most Usual Evening

A Poem by Erudite
"

Just a short description of a scene

"
Stepping through the mahogany doorway into his humble two bedroom home, Alex felt his usual sense of relief. Having had a troublesome day working in the warehouse, his first decision was to crack open a chilled lager and set out to greet his wife. His oversized keyring jingled as he turned to latch the door, and kept jingling with each step he took as he proceeded toward the stairs. On the walls hung various framed memories shared by Alex and his wife, Sophia. Memories of joy and hope for the future, along with a day at the amusement park. In the latter picture the couple were holding churros with arms wrapped around each other. They were both smiling contentedly. Alex stopped for a moment at this picture to reminisce, then he continued.
"I'm finally back from work, darling." Alex gently declared as he nudged open their bedroom door, doing his best to not wake his wife should she be asleep.
"Oh, hey babe, I missed you today." Replied Sophia, who had been laying awake awhile. 
"How've you been feelin'? Besides your missing me that is."
"I've been, uhm, really sleepy. I think it was that tea Dr. Schofield told me I should be drinking. It was so gross, and, afterward, I felt like I needed to throw up."
"But, how's the pain?"
"The tea helped. I haven't been hurting for a while, but I think it might be wearing off. Could you make me some more? Please?"
"Sure, give me a moment." Alex took her mug along with the used tissues scattered about their mattress and went for the kitchen.

© 2017 Erudite


Author's Note

Erudite
Please review and rate. I'm still looking for my 'voice', so any feedback is quite helpful. Thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

349 Views
Added on December 3, 2016
Last Updated on June 3, 2017
Tags: excerpt, love, love story, fiction, novel, prose

Author

Erudite
Erudite

Riverside, CA



About
Greetings, reader. Please do enjoy this music I've prepared for you, and don't be too bashful to take a peek at some of my writings. My poem titled "Ah, To Float in My Boat" is one of my personal .. more..

Writing