A Silent White

A Silent White

A Story by S.E. Miller
"

Walking in winter in moonlight ...

"
Snow falls soft as a kitten's kiss ... cool as a puppy's nose, and I walk slowly, the swoosh of my boots indiscernable as the pines whisper sweet nothings in my ears. The crystals are ankle deep and I follow the tracks that lead to where my dog has gone. Luna lights my way, and I soak up the aura of the night as I listen to the owls speak, their secrets safe with me. 
Brilliant diamonds sparkle, but I don't bend to gather them. Instead I revel in their cold beauty and I am grateful to be alive. They will melt soon, as spring flirts with old man winter, scaring him away. I laugh and my old dog and I make snow angels in the meadow now. And soon, we'll run with the butterflies, and whippoorwills will sing us to sleep as summer steals the show. 
I lay still and let the white cool sheets of winter's last fling lull me to sleep. And I dream. I dream. 

© 2013 S.E. Miller


Author's Note

S.E. Miller
I enjoy vignettes...splices of moments in time. And daydreaming. Thank you for reading...and hopefully enjoying. Thanks too, for any comments. Susan

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is like a winter enchantment.. one can feel the cold... see the white world alive with glimmering light... sense the mind drifting into summer dreams... Beautifully done glimpse of time!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I'm getting a Robert Frost meets Poe vibe in this work. I like it, I love your use of description and imagery. It is a great piece and I look forward to reading more of your work. Keep up the good work!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Oh this is so beautiful!!! So serene,peaceful,and gorgeous imagery. Oh what a beautiful thing it is to walk in the snow :) Sometimes looking at the snowy scenery you could almost swear that heaven has joined with the earth. The similies "soft as a kitten's kiss" and "cool as a puppy's nose" are cute and sweet :) I am a sucker for animals, especially dogs :) However it reads more like a poem than a story in my opinion.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Just beautiful. You use your words like paint - blending them into an unforgettable picture full of emotion. I wish I was there. Wonderful.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is the second piece where I saw the title and was drawn in. Since it's a mad and crazy 90 degrees here, I'm finding ways to beat the heat :-) What gorgeous work you've created here. It's soft and gentle with images that are stunning. You truly paint a picture and set a mood with words crafted in a way that the reader becomes part of the scenario... Brilliant work!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I love how you are able to put everything in this story with so few of words. The way you describe how the person feels and how everything looks and feels is amazing. Also I thought the choice of words was superb as in the use of the word Luna.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love how you described everything in this poem.
Really nice write with lots of emotions and deep feelings. I love winter so I really enjoyed this story... could be longer though, I feel like I could read this for much more then 2 minutes. Keep writing like this, just make it longer next time okay? All the best.

Posted 11 Years Ago


nicely written, like the imagery, i can hear the sound of the boots swooshing

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

561 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on June 19, 2012
Last Updated on April 14, 2013

Author

S.E. Miller
S.E. Miller

West Lafayette, IN



About
A lover of all things nature ... Susan enjoys the outdoors, riding her horse, having fireflies surround her in the dark, and most of all, daring to travel around her mind in the form of the written wo.. more..

Writing
Cave Cave

A Story by S.E. Miller