Running From It

Running From It

A Story by ImperfectWriter
"

A horror story for a competition.

"
While heading on feet to the nearby forest, her body started twitching and her legs tried kicking hopelessly as she slowly got back to conscientious. I dropped her out of shock, and looked back to her.
“Well, you’re not in hell yet!” I sarcastically said. 
“Help!” she screamed at the top of her lungs. I laughed hysterically as I continued dragging her across the sidewalk. She was screaming with confusion, as no one in the crowded street seemed to notice her, "someone help me!" The girl kicked and screamed as loud as she could thrashing with all of her might but all the people passing by continued talking and laughing as if nothing was going on, and to them nothing was going on. What she didn't know is these people didn't see me, all they saw was a girl running as fast as she could down the street with tears running down her cheeks hitting the pavement beneath her. I wasn't dragging her at all, in fact I wasn't even touching her, but she could feel the weight of my hands pulling her down. 
"Oh no someone please help her!" I said mockingly while laughing, "Just stop running trying to get away from me because you will never escape and you know it. You can struggle and run all you want but I will always be one step behind you, looming behind every corner. You can't get away from me." I whispered in a sinister tone, for the first time she looked me in the eyes, she got a real look at me, and I knew she recognized me when she gasped, in everyone's eyes she ran faster, in mine she struggled to get away.
"No, you aren't real. This is all a dream. This isn't happening, you aren't real. Y-you, no this can't be. This isn't real it's all a dream This can't be happening." She cried pushing me away with all of her might, now she was running in my eyes as well, straight into the forest. 
"Then tell me, what is real? Telling yourself that some boy loves you? Getting your heart broken by bad boys who do drugs and have too much sex? Feeling distant from everyone and everything, knowing you are different but not being able to place how? Tearing apart your own skin? Drowning yourself in music? Honey you don't live in reality, you live in a lie. You pretend you're normal and perfectly fine but you know you aren't." I said grinning as she stopped running; it was proof that my words were getting to her. 
"How do you know this about me?" She asked turning around, the look on her face showed confidence but I know her well enough to know she was really freaking out. I don't see the charade everyone else does, I know what this really is. Her left hand was clenched which came off as anger, but I knew she was actually digging her nails into her hand, a nervous habit she's always had.
I casually looked at my own nails, "Just give up, go straight to hell where you belong. There's no reason for you to live anymore. The bad boy you left you for your best friend. Your so called best friend helped the love of your life cheat on you. No one cares about you. Just give up, you can't keep living in this lie, running from me day after day, or should I say running from yourself day after day."
She shook her head trying to clear her head from what I just said; even if she would never admit it she knows I am right, "No! You aren't me, you're a broken mess, I will never be you, I will never become you. I won't give up." 
"Oh honey," I laughed humorlessly and circled around her, "you already are me, I'm the piece of you that makes you different, the piece of you that you've always had in you but you always push down. One day you'll run out of breath and you won't be able to run from me anymore, you will give in to me."
"Never." She growled making my crooked smirk grow. 
"Keep up that anger, it fuels me." I whispered in her ear knowing it would infuriate. 
 She was slightly out of breath and fading slightly but she took a deep breath and looked straight into my eyes, "You will never win, the good guy always wins."
"How can you be so sure that you are the good guy?" I continued speaking before she could respond, "wouldn't it be nice to get revenge on Evan? He hurt you. He told you he loved you and he left for your so called best friend! You never mattered to him, face it you were just a rebound girl for when he was lonely, he never cared about you at all. Just get some sweet revenge, get back at him, hurt him. You know how many girls he's hurt, he deserves it." 
"No, I won't become you. I won't be a lying, heartbreaking, revenge seeking fool!" She shouted shoving me away with all of her might.
I knew she'd say that and I was readily prepared for the rest of this argument, I was going to win she's so predictable, playing right into my plan, "You already are a heartbreaker. Remember Callie? You flirted with, you kisses her, called her beautiful, you told her you loved her and you sure acted like you did. She loved you with all of her heart; you told her you couldn't love a girl and you pushed her away. You lead her on. Because of you she gave up on life. You killed her, is that how you show your love? Killing people?"
"Don't you dare say that. I loved Callie, I still love her, she is my everything and she always will be. I never meant to hurt her. There was truth to what I told her, I never lead her on. You don't know a damn thing, you don't anything about me." Anger was evident in her voice and flames danced in her eyes. All I needed was one more thing, one more thing that I knew would crush her. One more thing and I win.
"You seem to forget that, darling I am you. I know everything. I know about those scars on your wrists, the things you did with that guy, the lies you've told to the people you love, I know everything. Heartbreaker." Each of my words sent a knife into her back, I could see the pain and anger in her eyes, I was playing her just right. I turned around to walk away when suddenly a not so metaphorical knife stabbed into my back. For one last time I grinned, she dropped to the ground with me. 
"You can't kill me, without killing yourself." I said coughing up blood. My plan worked. The worthless b***h was gone for good. Right as she took her last breath my eyes flashed red and I ripped the knife out of my back. I got up and smiled my crooked smile. Evil never dies. 
"Are you okay?" I heard a voice yell, "I thought I heard shouting." 
I glanced down at where the girl's body was just laying but it had already disappeared, I won for real, "Yeah, I'm great."

© 2015 ImperfectWriter


Author's Note

ImperfectWriter
I hope you liked it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
BM
I really like the creativity of this writing! You did a great job, i loved every detail and the end was just beautiful. Thank you for putting such an effort into this, and again, you are a great writer!

Posted 9 Years Ago


I never really appreciated horror writing until recently, and I’ve been into it a bit myself. It’s amazing how with our technology and movies and what not the description in a story can still be tenfold more unnerving. I liked the passage about no one noticing her, or all they saw was her crying. That’s such a true commentary on our society. People seem to avert trouble, and unless you’re bleeding from the neck they don’t try to help or console another person. That or they just rubberneck. I always thought sociopaths were particularly scary (which this narrator clearly is) because they have no empathy so it’s virtually impossible to talk them down or change their mind with displays of emotion. It’s like fight or die. I would suggest maybe putting a little more description between the dialog to break it up, like description of the setting, feelings, ext. I was a little confused by the ending, was the narrator another personality? Was she killing part of herself?


Suggestions:

“on feet to the” On foot.
"someone help me!" Capitalize ‘someone’.
“else does, I” I would replace the coma here with a semi colon.

Posted 9 Years Ago


ImperfectWriter

9 Years Ago

Yes it was supposed to be like her other personality, so evidently they are the same person and she .. read more
Meat of Dog

9 Years Ago

No problem, any time! I hope you do well in the competition!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

298 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 21, 2015
Last Updated on January 21, 2015
Tags: scary, horror

Author

ImperfectWriter
ImperfectWriter

About
I'm just a teenage girl who's always loved writing and music. My favorite genres are romance, and horror. But I especially love writing about problems teens go through depression, heartbreak, and bu.. more..

Writing