I Will Be The Light

I Will Be The Light

A Story by *~Imperfectly Me~*
"

I just had to put this on paper... or I guess online.

"
I caught myself questioning everything today. I caught myself wondering why this world should continue. It is weeks like this that I just can't find the humanity in our world. It is days like today that make me want to give up. This past year and this past week have damaged my hope in humanity. 

At least… it should… But I refuse to give up. 

We are all deeply affected by these attacks in Boston, the explosion in Texas, the rape in Steubenville, the shooting in Newtown, the fires in Colorado, the Aurora theater shooting. We are all questioning, wondering, and hoping that things will all work out in the end.

I have sat here as an observer. I have watched the continuous coverage on my Facebook stream. I have been updated on the tragic events as they happen. I have seen the posts from Twitter, the pictures being shown, and I have cried for the lives that have been damaged, the individuals who have been left broken (emotionally, physically, psychologically). I am truly saddened by the horror that has taken up my Facebook stream. I am truly thankful that friends, family, and acquaintances who were there, could have been there, had friends or family that were there, are okay. 

I have caught myself questioning everything today. I am still questioning everything. Why are so hateful? Why are these people so cruel? Why, why, why… 

I am stopping this. I hope that by writing this down I can try to change my outlook. I am going to see the beauty in these tragedies. I am going to look at the soldiers who ran towards the explosions. I am going to admire the first responders who ran to help an individual that they did not know. I am going to be thankful that I know a hero that saved lives in the theater shooting. I am going to admire the teacher that died for her students. I am going to pray for the families and friends who have experienced these horrific events first hand and that they get the justice they deserve.

These events have changed us. Let us not look at the religion the terrorists are. That doesn't matter. Let us not look at the color of their skin. That doesn't matter. 

These events are horrific but in the darkness you will see the light. We cannot let the darkness surround us. I am going to be the light. Actually, I am going to try to be the light. I can only hope that I have the strength not to give up.

© 2013 *~Imperfectly Me~*


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I can feel for these words. I'm so often disgusted by what people write in the comment sections of the new articles about these tragedies. It's like all they can do is point fingers and blame,blame,blame, anybody and everybody, till they are blue in the face. It's like many have lost all sense of compassion or the ability to see a more positive from a situation.
I have friends from all over this war torn world. Poets that are displaced by wars, who've lost relatives and countless friends. They will write about their experiences and the pain and their anguish, in hopes that the world will know the reality and change. That's when other poets will share their stories and hope by doing so, will raise awareness.
I agree a hundred and two percent that we all should be striving to be that light in peoples darker hours.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
You're friend always,
Aaron

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

347 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 19, 2013
Last Updated on April 19, 2013

Author

*~Imperfectly Me~*
*~Imperfectly Me~*

In the Shadows of Imagination, CO



About
***~~***IF YOU WANT TO BE MY FRIEND PLEASE REVIEW SOMETHING OF MINE FIRST***~~*** I accept that i am imperfect... I am proud of it... It's in our imperfections that make us who we are... they.. more..

Writing