Planetfall

Planetfall

A Story by James Alton
"

A soldier enters the fray.

"
Silence. That was the worst part of the drop-pod. It wasn't a furious thunder. A maw of righteous hell-fire. It was silence. Before hitting the atmosphere there was only yourself, the crackle of a radio, and the titanic expanse of the void.
Anderson adjusted in his seat, his hand tracing across the weapons panel to his right. It was discovered early on that was much equipment should be secured by the pod itself rather than hanging loose on the individual. Those early jumpers more than earned their monument at the martian test sites, they payed their dues for the future of the practice.
The light of the pod reddened and dimmed. "30 seconds until atmospheric entry." An automated voice played over his ship's comm. He took a deep breath. Then let it go, repeating as he waited in silence yet again.
"10."
...
"5."
...
"3..2..1..."
"Mark."
The impact rippled through his body, the moment that any drop trooper wanted, even lusted for.
Fire arching past his view-port and the thundering roar of a whole planet trying to slow his assault. But just like any other world. Any other force, he wasn't going to stop. He closed his eyes and smiled. This was his calm, the calm before the storm.
"This is Bayonet Lead, Roll-call. Over." His radio crackled, followed by squawking of other units reporting in. But something was wrong. Anderson slowed his breathing, the exhilaration passed. Too few.
"Bayonet Lead this is Bayonet 1, reporting.... Bayonet 2, 4, and 7... reconfirm roll-call, no copy..." He paused... then released the comm.
"30 seconds to impact. Deploying Grav-chute" The voice repeated in its calm monotone manner. Just as always.
The grav-chute ripped upwards on the plummeting pod, clawing at the air around it to achieve safe impact speed. 'Safe', he laughed to himself. ' Safe wasn't exactly what he had in mind while slamming into a planet from the outer reaches of its orbit.
"10."
...
"5."
...
"3..2..1..."
"Mark."
Training. That was the real key. We never rise to the challenge laid before us in combat, we sink to the level of our training. Step 1: Slide weapons locker to the open position. Attain 34-CT Railgun. Step 2: Release drop-pod door via green pressure lock release valve. Step 3: Seek cover, survey area, if needed, locate enemy forces. Step 4: Engage.

© 2012 James Alton


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
Added on May 24, 2012
Last Updated on May 24, 2012
Tags: War, Droptroop, Sci-fi, Soldier, Space, Silence, Training.

Author

James Alton
James Alton

Schofield Barracks, HI



Writing
Sunset Sunset

A Story by James Alton


Starlight Starlight

A Story by James Alton