Two A.M.

Two A.M.

A Story by Jayne Ann Saporito
"

phone calls at night are never good

"

TWO A.M.

 

“It’s two a.m., and I must be dreaming,” as the song goes.  But I wasn’t dreaming.  The telephone was shrilling on the nightstand next to my bed, jarring me out of a peaceful dream I was having about palm trees and sand. 

Phone calls at two a.m. were never good news.  My 19 year-old son, Danny, was working the night shift down at the Burger King now.  Terrible things happened in the wee hours of the morning and my mind immediately flew around every bad scenario a mother could think up in the space of a second.  I bolted up in bed, clutching the receiver.  “Hello?” I croaked out in my sleep-laden voice.  The only response I got was a woeful cry, sorrowful as a misty rain, followed by sniffling.

“Danny!  What’s wrong?” I asked in a whisper.  A shock ran through me. 

“Please, please,” the voice begged.  “Be there for me, mommy.”

It did not sound like the usual Danny.  My son was full of life, confidence and a very positive attitude.  He was competent, so unlike the broken child now on the other end of the line.

“Please!  Tell me what’s happened, Danny.  You know I am there for you.  Please!”

“I’m so sorry.  I drove drunk,” he said in a half-whisper.  “It’s my fault.”

My blood chilled.  “Danny, are you hurt?  Has there been an accident?  Are people injured?”  I could hear my voice rising and I forced it down.  Hysterics would not help Danny.  I needed cold, hard facts.  Danny was not a drinker, to my knowledge.  He was steady, focused, getting ready for his second year of community college.

“I hit my head a little,” he sobbed out.  “I think the car is a total loss, though.  I ran into a pole.  I was drinking and I ran into it.  God, I am sorry, mom.  The police are coming,” he choked, broken.

I heard the wailing of sirens in the background.  “Danny, tell me exactly where you are and I will go there now,” I said as I hastily threw on my sweats with one hand.

“Why do you keep calling me Danny?” the boy asked suddenly between sniffles.

“This is Danny, isn't it?  What do you mean, son?”  I was worried in full force now.  What if Danny had a head injury?  He needed immediate help.

A moment of dead silence and then, “My name’s Jason.”

“Your name is Jason?  You are not Danny Jamieson?”

“No!” he cried.  “Please, don’t disown me now!  Please!”  His plea was so powerful.  “You are never there!  Never!  And tonight, you answered your phone.  I prayed you would.” 

He’d obviously mis-dialed.  And he’d gotten me instead of a mother who never answered her phone.

“Jason, do you have parents to call?  Do you have a family?  How old are you?” I queried as delicately as I could.

“I’m sixteen.  My parents are divorced.  Dad’s out of town.  Please, just for tonight, will you please be my mother?  Just be my mother for this one night and I swear, I will never drink again!”

I could hear the police asking questions, the sound hollow and tinny over the telephone.  “Jason, tonight I'm your mother.  Where are you?”

“At the Old Road and Calgrove.  Against the pole,” he answered, hope building in his tone.  “The cops are going to take me in.”  He commenced sniffling again.  “I prayed so hard before calling you.  That you would finally answer the phone, and I guess I got a wrong number.”

Who would answer this child’s cries for help?  I thought of Danny, and I knew instantly what I had to do.  “I think you got exactly the number that you needed, Jason.  Let me talk to the police.”  I wasn't planning on telling lies to the police, but I was prepared to help this boy who needed someone to guide him in the darkness.  I was dressed and ready to leave, keys in hand.

“Thank you.  Thank you, for being my mother,” Jason whispered.  "Even if it is just for a few moments."

I spoke with the cop, leaving the full explanation for later, and left immediately for the scene of the crash.  I scribbled a hasty note for Danny, in case he came home and found me gone. 

Hope was forcing its way into my tired heart.  A new life was about to start.  I could feel it in my blood and bones.  Jason was only sixteen.  There was still time.

 

 

 

© 2012 Jayne Ann Saporito


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

So, I take it this is fiction from what Rain said? Wow. This was gripping from the word "Go!" You grabbed me from the very first words! You definitely know how to draw your readers in. How have I missed all of your fabulous writing? I can see I will be spending a little more time over in your neck of the woods. Thank you!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

LOSE THESE:I was having about no place in particular(POOR WRITING)gentle as a misty rain(CONFLICTS WITH WOEFUL CRY)I gasped out(GASP IS AN INWARD BREATH)he sobbed out(LOSE THE out)“Because you are my son, Danny. That’s your name.(SHE WOULD NOT SAY THIS, SHE WOULD SAY, "Danny, isn't it you?)
That's as far as I went. You have obvious writing talent and the ability to compell the reader's interest, but poor style and this plot is sureal, people do not lie to the police like this, not after a 30 second phone conversation. This plethora of reviewers that praise this are doing you absolutely no good. Good luck

Posted 13 Years Ago


Beautifully written. Thank you for sharing. Debileah

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
LSS
Jayne,
I cannot believe that this story is not true, its too poignant. The other reviewers are correct; you are touched (the good way), and amazing. You hit all the right points to capture me. I am a dedicated reader - now.
Lar

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

oh my God, you made me cry at the office. I only wish I could spin fiction with such power to illicit this raw emotion.
Beautifully done.
How is God's Sparrow progressing?

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So, I take it this is fiction from what Rain said? Wow. This was gripping from the word "Go!" You grabbed me from the very first words! You definitely know how to draw your readers in. How have I missed all of your fabulous writing? I can see I will be spending a little more time over in your neck of the woods. Thank you!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You found it! Thank you for bringing it back. These words have a special message.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow! This is great! The story line is unique, and very realistic. I can see this happening. The dialogue is fantastic and flows wonderfully. The opening is very powerful and gripping. For nothing physically exhausting to actually be taking place in the scene, one loses their breath reading it. I can actually see this as a film opening. I love it when I read someone's work and can see it in pictures. I write using my own storeis using images, and when I can see someone else's in pictures, I definately give my full attention. Write more!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh Wow,
You are such a great writer. Damn you, I believe this happened! lol. Amazing talent, Jayne. I loved it. Please write more. Rain..

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

627 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 22, 2008
Last Updated on June 28, 2012

Author

Jayne Ann Saporito
Jayne Ann Saporito

Santa Clarita, CA



About
I am a published author, and currently concentrating on The Restitution Inn, an independent film project in the works. My books are available through all online retailers such as Amazon, Barnes&Noble,.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Winter Winter

A Poem by Imperfection