The Story

The Story

A Chapter by Jelani
"

Ezra Blade describes how it all started.

"
A society once embraced now unseen. A utopia not transformed into a dystopia, and peace now distorted into chaos. 
I once knew the light, I once found happiness, but now my life has fallen apart. 
What used to be love is but a crimson light shining in the window of despair, free from amnesty, caught in shame.
As deadly as it sounds, the dim crimson light is the least of my worries.
With a burning world, and the value of knowledge deteriorating, the human advancement has finally come to a halt. 
With time, it is no question that the human civilization will cease to exist. Caught in our own destruction, distracted by our ego, and blinded by our self-image we will kill off our own kind one by one.
Time is falling short, my name is Ezra Blade, and it is impossible to know what will happen to me, but what I do know is, I will not let this happen.

Just a week ago, on September 27th, 2023 the city of Las Angeles was burnt to the ground. 
The cause of this event is questionable, but the fault of the matter goes to ‘Leon’ the President, and Dictator of the United States of America.
He is the mastermind that soon plans total annihilation of our existence, and wishes for world domination. 
He dreams of sitting on a sandy beach, free from full world interaction, free to go where he pleases, do what he wants, and destroy what he wants. 
A lunatic with the power to carry out his plan quietly was now holding America in the palm of his hand waiting for the signal to crush us all.
One second, and we would all be demolished, one movement, and the foundation of America, and even the world would deteriorate.
No other country stands a chance, 20 years ahead, and with the invention of Aero-magnetic weapons (or laser technology), a nuclear bomb could detonate from the American military base to China within a matter of seconds.
It was like flashing a light that had the mass to break the sound barrier ten times at China, and having that light explode.
It was unbeatable; every other country had no choice but to submit to Americas’ power.

With the power of the world in America’s hands, many lives have changed significantly, but specifically; mine. It was just seven days earlier when I came across the infamous Dr. Kreemer who was well known for being an omniscient Philosopher. 
He knew anything and everything about the universe, and history. The only question is how. Books had been banned for 10 years now, and it was impossible for him to get books (or so I thought). I was sitting in the park enjoying a nice turkey sandwich when I couldn’t help but to notice an old man staring at me. He had a cheap name tag on that read “Dr. Kreemer “. 
Once he noticed that I had recognized his existence, Kreemer approached me with caution. It was almost as if he knew the future for me would be detrimental.
His walk was redefining, every step was clear and calculated; not a strand of grass was affected by his movement.
He has kind of a consistent shake to his body that told me that something terribly wrong was on his mind. 
Once at equilibrium with each other, he asked me a question that I would never forget. “Can you read?” said Kreemer. I glared in aspiration of the question, and then answered reluctantly. “No, why do you ask?” Kreemer grinned then spoke “Now what I have here is an offer!
This will be the defining moment of your life. The gift of the universe is in the palm of your hand, but you only need to answer one question. Will you follow me home?”
Being dumb, and curious I followed him to a shed just outside of the city. He made me swear to keep whatever I saw a secret, and to take any knowledge I gain, and use it to an advantage. 
At that point I had a choice. 
Say no, and walk away, while at the same time continuing to live my same old boring life, or pursue him, and accept my imminent devastation.
I closed my eyes, wished for something positive, then stepped into the shed with Kreemer. Inside was damp, and empty but in the center of the room was a spotlight showing on a trap door. 
Kreemer walked over to it and grabbed the handle of the door, and said “Feast your eyes on my collection” he flung the door open then jumped in.
I peered down the hole with curiosity, and saw what was near impossible to comprehend.

Over 50 million books, along with the biggest library I’ve ever seen.
“This has the power to change the world” said Kreemer, “and it is much bigger than the city itself. 
By this point my legs were trembling, fearful of the future, for my eyes were cursed. “I could go to the authorities” I thought, but so much curiosity, what about those books frightened the great country of America? What harm could ones words on paper be to society?
Take note that I had no idea what a fraud our leader was. I was just as blind as the rest of his followers. I just could not see the world betrayal falling into the U.S. governments’ name. 
I stood there questioning myself “Kreemer was well informed, and he wasn’t the biggest lunatic in the city. 
What did these books do to him that made him so smart? I guess if I went, then I would find out. So why not take the shot? It’s hidden, and no one would ever find out.” I then made up my decision. I jumped inside, and ran to the nearest shelf of books. 
The first book I grabbed was ironically Fahrenheit 451. Not knowing how to read at the time, I peered at the pages, and flipped from the beginning to the end really quick while faking as though I had begun to transform into an instantly enlightened genius.
Kreemer noticed my enthusiasm and curiosity and approached me with a keen grin on his face. “Not just yet my friend, you must first watch this.” He handed me a CD from the stone aged, and moved an old T.V. in front of me then slid in the disc.
I was expecting a quick how to read session, but something insanely technological happened instead. 
It was just two seconds where a very high pitched siren screeched in my ears, and instantly knowledge was sprung upon me.
It was almost as if some type of neurological science had converged on my mind. My mind had begun to see in multiple pathological ways. 
It was incredible, nearly indescribable; my mind began to travel to different party of the library as if it was another consciousness. 
Then Kreemer stopped the video, and I instantly passed out. Three days later, I woke up to a knock on the door of the shed, and a loud voice shouting “We know you’re in there!”


© 2013 Jelani


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow. There's a lot going on here.
Several different things caught my attention while reading this. One was the existence of a massive library in a world where books were banned (just like Fahrenheit 451). Another was the idea that someone could seek refuge there, but only if he was willing to learn to read. What would happen if he did not? And of course there's the despotic President, which isn't much of a stretch to imagine, these days...
I liked the way you introduced this world, in the first two sections. But after that it seems like you're trying to fit too much into the chapter- if that's what this truly is. It also starts to feel rushed and compressed.
Maybe you could develop the introduction a little more- then start the next chapter with the trip to Kreemer's library. You're covering a lot of ground at the expense of the story-telling.

I like the richness of your vocabulary and the word choices you make. Keep up the good work- and welcome to the site.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jelani

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your review! I will definitely take your comments into consideration. It is true, I wa.. read more



Reviews

Wow. There's a lot going on here.
Several different things caught my attention while reading this. One was the existence of a massive library in a world where books were banned (just like Fahrenheit 451). Another was the idea that someone could seek refuge there, but only if he was willing to learn to read. What would happen if he did not? And of course there's the despotic President, which isn't much of a stretch to imagine, these days...
I liked the way you introduced this world, in the first two sections. But after that it seems like you're trying to fit too much into the chapter- if that's what this truly is. It also starts to feel rushed and compressed.
Maybe you could develop the introduction a little more- then start the next chapter with the trip to Kreemer's library. You're covering a lot of ground at the expense of the story-telling.

I like the richness of your vocabulary and the word choices you make. Keep up the good work- and welcome to the site.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jelani

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your review! I will definitely take your comments into consideration. It is true, I wa.. read more
Very cool dude. It held my interest throughout the story. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jelani

10 Years Ago

Thank you :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 2, 2013
Last Updated on December 2, 2013


Author

Jelani
Jelani

Gilbert, AZ



Writing