The Wind Still Beckons

The Wind Still Beckons

A Poem by The Autumn Faerie

“I…I can‘t reach you!”
She cries out to me through the sheeting rain.
Ivory droplets of certain destruction, they pour.

How could I let you slip away…?


My completing half, my sister,
One would have thought that I‘d have known her heart…
And I did, I just didn’t want to see.

I thought there were no secrets between us…


“I‘m coming, hold on!” I scream into the night.
I’m coming for her, as always,
Forever trying to ward away her demons.

But I cannot be the one to save her…

Running as best as I can manage through the darkness,
Praying to get to her before it‘s too late…
One would have thought it dire; life or death.

Oh, God! But, what if it is…?


It’s so dark out here now; jet-black…
Just where could she be, hidden in these impenetrable shadows?
I hear her cries, so faint, as though she’s a thousand miles away…

I can feel your ever-emanating hopelessness…


I’m trudging knee-deep in a thick, sticky mud,
But I couldn’t care less, wouldn‘t care less,
So long as she is safe…

I won’t carry on without you…


“I’m over here!” She rasps weakly,
As I finally reach her, embracing her frail, shivering body.
She feels so small in my arms, so cold

You’re safe now, my flower…

My chest aches with sweet relief, as my lungs expand with oxygen for the first time,
And the rain slows to a tempered stillness,
Though the wind still beckons, calling her name…

I won’t let them hurt you…


“We’ll be all right…” I whisper protectively,
“Oh, what will I do with you…?” I’m teasing her now, trying to ease this memory,
Though the question I dare not ask smolders quietly behind my lips…

…What would I ever do without you?

© 2008 The Autumn Faerie


Author's Note

The Autumn Faerie
She will know what this piece means...
And, by she, I mean my best friend.
You guys are taking this piece much too literally.
It's very metaphorical emotional piece about the struggles of my best friend.
Posted to prove a point.
It is meant to be felt, not analyzed, and although I COULD go through and annotate it, I won't.
Thank you for reading and critiquing, as always, my dears!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Yes, I do know what this means..

My heart ached as I read this, and I could feel the urgency of the piece. Your words spoke about a friendship that has long withstood the test of time and will continue to weather whatever storms it must endure. It speaks of the loneliness two hearts can feel when separated after so many years, even if those hearts may only be the very closest of friends. It was a beautiful piece, albeit a heart wrenching one, and I greatly enjoyed reading it. It brought tears to my eyes.

You have always been there for me, I should have trusted you with this secret long ago.

I'm deeply sorry that I did not, but I know that you will understand and forgive me.

This was an amazingly heartfelt write, my dear.

I love you!

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

So powerful! The freedom in your form is brilliant, and your words so emotive and full of angst... I found my own breath becoming stilted as I read, aligning with your fear and anxiety expressed so deeply. Incredible write!

Craig

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was a great poem for your friend Raye, I enjoyed it.
I dont know what I would ever do without my best friend.

Great work!!

Orlando

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

love the author's notes - hark, a poet be metaphorical and slightly exaggerating a situation! NEVAH - haha

Well, I 'm sure you friend appreciates the loyalty and the love you share. We can hear the ones we love calling during their time of need - with or without phones or words - we can feel it - and I think you show that here.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This was perhaps the best poem I've read in quite a while. I actually wanted to finish reading it.Nay, I probably would not be able to sleep tonight if I hadn't. Whether readers take it literally or not, it's still beautiful. The formatting is lovely, and I can see it all playing out in my mind. I love the ending. I'm going to put in in my library for inspiration. Wow. It's just so good!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is a beautiful poem..

It reminds me of my relationship with my younger sister.

Reading your poem opened up feeling that I thought only I felt.

My sister is dead now. I was not able to save her, from herself. She continued on a path of self destruction.

I love this poem. All the emotions and thoughts I could not express you expressed for me in your poem.

Your poem is by far my favorite and I'm going to print it and frame it.

Once again excellent job!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

It is a very nice construction. Often the formatting just takes away form the natural flow of things. You make no such mistake here, it adds to the read. It is as if we have come upon you secluded in the woods and ease drop into your thoughts. I mean rather than just hearing them, we get to feel them.

Nicely done!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Very powerful, very moving. The desperation was quite explicit as was the final, much-desired relief. This surely spoke of something very real in your own life. Surely no human person can make up something so profound! Well done, Raye.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

The saving grace of friendship; it is an internal bond only those who have felt it can understand. You are never really far away -- this is what it speaks to me -- whether it is friendship, siblings, even lovers. Within the heart, the essential heart, there is TRUE love, TRUE honor and devotion.....

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I'm glad SHE will know what it means? I'm hazarding a guess that you and your sister are very close and this was a true incident. I am going to have to get a stronger prescription pair of glasses Raye...I'm seeing double from the itsy bitsy writing LOL...I realise this is a very serious piece of writing and I know what having a younger sister means. Your words are as always well structured, but you need to consider your reader they don't want a puzzle. I know I am very aware of this, if people can't understand your prose you may as well hand in a blank sheet. This is constructive critique so please don't take offense. You are such a brilliant writer, but you sold yourself short here by over personalising content.
I hope we are still friends????
Helen :-))))

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Yes, I do know what this means..

My heart ached as I read this, and I could feel the urgency of the piece. Your words spoke about a friendship that has long withstood the test of time and will continue to weather whatever storms it must endure. It speaks of the loneliness two hearts can feel when separated after so many years, even if those hearts may only be the very closest of friends. It was a beautiful piece, albeit a heart wrenching one, and I greatly enjoyed reading it. It brought tears to my eyes.

You have always been there for me, I should have trusted you with this secret long ago.

I'm deeply sorry that I did not, but I know that you will understand and forgive me.

This was an amazingly heartfelt write, my dear.

I love you!

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

452 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on July 9, 2008
Last Updated on July 16, 2008

Author

The Autumn Faerie
The Autumn Faerie

Withering in, OH



About
Just a lover of words-- A poet of sorts... A soul, who knows what it's like-- To lose. I'll be nineteen soon, and I've been doing recreational writing for about eight years now, though I was discoura.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..