Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Jennifer

The tavern was filled with raucous noise as we slipped in from the cold. Thalion had forced me into wearing his clothes in order to hide my true identity. A few curious eyes turned on us but only briefly. No one held any interest in two men entering in the dead of night. A small breath of air left my lungs as Thalion led me towards a booth in the back corner.


“Do not move. Do not speak with anyone. I’m going to try and see if they have a room available.” He ordered, eyes darting around the somewhat crowded room.


I nodded my head, fear of speaking out gripping me lest my identity be discovered. I watched Thalion as he hurried across the room while also trying to remain inconspicuous. He spoke briefly with a woman at the bar, stole a quick glance in my direction, and then disappeared into a back room.


The second he was no longer visible, I felt a presence. I dared not look up. My eyes remained trained on the table. The seat beside me dipped the weight of another person’s body. I stole a glance out of the corner of my eye. My eyes widened. His skin was the same tone as mine; pale ivory with a cool undertone. His ears were sharply pointed, tattoos decorating his face. His most distinguished feature were the icy dreads that hung down his back.


“You are not safe here.” He stated, his lips never moving.


My eyes widened, my attention fully captured by his words of warning. I inclined my head fully in his direction, eyebrows pinched together in confusion. Had he truly spoken? Or was I simply going man. His lips twitched into an almost smile.


“You are not going mad, my child.” He whispered, turning his head towards me for a brief moment. Our eyes met and a sense of familiarity flashed through me.


“Have...we met?” I inquired gently.


His lips twitched once more, “Perhaps in another life. You shouldn’t linger here. There are many safety concerns in this particular village for creatures such as ourselves.” His eyes lingered on my headscarf, “Tell me. Why do you hide yourself?”


His fingers reached for the piece of fabric that helped to hide my true identity. I flinched from his touch. His fingers only brushed the material but it was enough to allow to strands of hair to emerge; one ebony and one crystal white. His head tilted to the side, momentarily taken off guard. He retracted his hand.


“I see. You are younger that I thought. You have yet to complete your transition.”


“My transition?”


My words must have held a sense of confusion. His face seemed to turn just a shade paler, his body leaning in towards me. He reached out, fingers brushing against my cheek. As the connection was made, I felt a blaze of energy flow through my body. It was unlike anything I had ever felt before. He seemed to feel it as well.


“You are female.” His body relaxed, his hand dropping slowly, “Forgive me, I did not realize.” His eyes darted around the room, “We must depart this place at once. Your life could be in jeopardy,”


“I cannot leave.” I replied, my lips quivering, “I await the return on my companion. He will return shortly.”


Anger flashed beneath his eyes, “You travel with a male? Has he claimed you?”


I felt anger flickering beneath my skin at the audacity of his words, “That is none of your concern.”


He settled back in the booth, a frown etched across his face. His demeanor suddenly changed. His fingers curled into a ball, his jaw tightened. Before I can react, his arm snatched towards me. He wrapped his fingers around my forearm.


“I apologize in advance for what I am about to do.” He sighed.


My arm began to burn. Not painfully but more like warm water being poured into my veins. I attempt to fight against the numbing effect but I find myself unable to move, unable to pull away. His hand inched closer up my arm, finally settling on my upper arm. His eyes emit a dark greenish glow as he stood, pulling me with him.


The stranger met my gaze, motioning for me to stand. My mind scream in denial but my body refused to cooperate. I stood slowly, my limbs heavy. He slipped out of the booth. I followed suit. I was unable to resist whatever power he now held over me. He led me from the crowded tavern back out into the bitter night air.


I felt a tear slid down my face as his fingers curled around my wrist. He took no joy in his actions, that much was obvious from his downcast eyes filled with guilt. He couldn’t bare to look me in the eyes. My mouth opened but no words came forth. I made several attempts at begging but it was useless.


A heavy force suddenly collided with the stranger. The invisible strings of control snapped and I am once again in control of my own body. My eyes focused on the pair of writhing bodies before me. My heart soared as I spotted Thalion on top of the stranger, wrestling to gain dominance. The stranger is too much for him.


Thalion is tossed to the ground with one simple maneuver. The stranger held out a hand, eyes focused on Thalion. He began to writhe in agony, fingers clutching at his throat. His face turned a dark,deep shade of scarlet as he struggled to breathe. The stranger stood slowly, one hand still extended, and dusted off his clothing.

“That mistake will cost you your life.” The stranger growled, eyes glowing with anger.


I stood to the side, watching the scene unfold before me. My feet remained frozen to the spot. Thalion was slowly choking to death in front of me and I was powerless to act. Thalion managed to incline his head in my direction. Tears leaked from the corner of his eyes as he managed a weak smile. Even in his excruciating pain, he was still trying to comfort me


Something within me snapped. Energy began flowing through my body, every nerve and synapse exploding. The stranger turned in my direction, his jaw slack. I began shaking, accustomed to whatever was consuming me. I stretched out an arm, noting the faint greenish glow that now shimmered across my pale skin.


“Leave him be!” I ordered, my voice not quite sounding like my own.


The stranger immediately dropped his hand. Thalion gasped fresh air, choking as he struggled to his feet. The man took a fearful step back, eyes never leaving me. Perhaps he thought I would attack him should he turn his back to me. The thought had crossed my mind. Even now, I struggled to reign in the power that threatened to surge towards him.


Only Thalion’s restraining hand on my shoulder pulled me back to reality. My arm lowered, the glow dissipating. His chest heaved with each struggle of air, his face still slightly crimson in color. But at least he was safe; at least he was still in the world of the living.


“I...I apologize.” The man muttered, pulling our attention back to him, “I did not realize that this man was the companion of which you spoke.”


“I should kill you where you stand!” Thalion growled, taking a menacing step towards the man.


His lips twitched, “We both know which of us is the stronger warrior. You would lose.”


Thalion’s fists balled but he knew the man spoke the truth. He was not an ordinary elf, of that I was certain. He possessed Magic, a rare and forbidden talent amongst the Summer court. It was, howerver, something that the Winter Court cherished. I only had knowledge of this face due to the Summer Queen allowing me free reign to her library.


“You’re a Witch.” I speak, taking a step towards him despite Thalion’s grunt of disapproval.


“As are you, my lady.”


I flinched at his comment even when the truth of his words burned me. “Did you know? When you tried to take me against my will?”


He nodded, “I had my suspicions.” HIs eyes flickered towards Thalion, “I did not realize you were so adequately protected.” Something sparked within the man’s eyes. I turned my head back towards Thalion and saw a similar spark within his own eyes.


“Why try and take me?” I inquire, “Why not speak your intentions?”

He let out an exasperated sigh, folding his arms across his chest, “Would you have believed me?”


I nibbled on my lip, “No. I suppose I would not have.” I bowed my head, “But I do believe you now as I have seen and felt what I am.”


“If she is a Witch, how did she come to reside in the Summer Court?” Thalion interjected, standing protectively at my side.


“That is a question only my King can answer. He can give you all the answers that you seek. You simply have to accompany me to his Court.”


I open my mouth to answer but Thalion once again interjects, “She goes nowhere without me.”


The man lifted an eyebrow, “You are a most loyal friend indeed.” He squinted his eyes, “I see you are not a full Summer elf either. I since a bit of Winter within you.”


Thalion’s jaw clenched but he ma no move to denounce the man’s wild accusation. He’d known the truth of his heritage before now it would seem. I laid a hand on his bicep, offering him a half smile. It didn’t matter to me if he was half Winter, half Summer. It would seem as if it was just one more thing we had in common; neither of us were what we seemed.


“You are welcome in the Winter court, Brother.” The man spoke again, “The King welcomes all those with Winter in their blood. Be they full blooded or halflings.” He closed the distance between us, “But we should hurry. There is a war brewing between Summer and Winter.” His eyes fell upon me once again, “And you, my lady, are the Key to ending the fued before it begins.”


© 2017 Jennifer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Nice, tight sentences from the off. The 4th paragraph was really well written. I particulary liked this bit - 'The seat beside me dipped the weight of another person’s body.' I know its a simple sentence BUT what intrigued me about it was the way in which it was done. Normally people just say he sat/she sat...etc - The way in which you did it was unique and I have never seen it done like that before - KUDOS TO YOU. The descriptives which followed were also good too.

This bit - Or was I simply going man.
'man' needs to be changed to 'mad'

When the conversation was going about 'the transition' I felt like I was reading something along the lines of Yoda talking to a pupil OR a mentor talking to his student. It came across as pretty powerful too.

This sentence - I attempt to fight against the numbing effect but I find myself unable to move, unable to pull away. - The word 'attempt' needs to be changed to 'attempted' BUT however I again like the warm water bit - that's a new one on me - NICE WORK AGAIN.
The action scene was well executed - crisp, neat and easily understandable.- I liked and the imagery of it all was really powerful. I really respect any author who can pull off action scenes so well, as I know how hard it is too do.

A killer of an ending with a great closing speech.

Yes I did like it.....A lot.

Mark.



Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow... Just...wow...
It's hard to write so smoothly like this. The story transitions perfectly from scene to scene, unlike my writing. Reading this helps me realize my mistakes as a writer, and I really think that this story could actually go somewhere. I can't wait until the next chapter. I love this story and its characters so far. Other than a few spelling errors, this is a masterpiece. I am literally squealing in my chair with excitement. Keep writing. It suits you! See you when the next chapter comes out!

Pensworth, author of Prakner

Posted 7 Years Ago


Great job of continuing the suspenseful tale. The other reviewers already found the issues I noticed.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Nice, tight sentences from the off. The 4th paragraph was really well written. I particulary liked this bit - 'The seat beside me dipped the weight of another person’s body.' I know its a simple sentence BUT what intrigued me about it was the way in which it was done. Normally people just say he sat/she sat...etc - The way in which you did it was unique and I have never seen it done like that before - KUDOS TO YOU. The descriptives which followed were also good too.

This bit - Or was I simply going man.
'man' needs to be changed to 'mad'

When the conversation was going about 'the transition' I felt like I was reading something along the lines of Yoda talking to a pupil OR a mentor talking to his student. It came across as pretty powerful too.

This sentence - I attempt to fight against the numbing effect but I find myself unable to move, unable to pull away. - The word 'attempt' needs to be changed to 'attempted' BUT however I again like the warm water bit - that's a new one on me - NICE WORK AGAIN.
The action scene was well executed - crisp, neat and easily understandable.- I liked and the imagery of it all was really powerful. I really respect any author who can pull off action scenes so well, as I know how hard it is too do.

A killer of an ending with a great closing speech.

Yes I did like it.....A lot.

Mark.



Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 5, 2017
Last Updated on April 5, 2017
Tags: Fantasy, Novel, Fiction


Author

Jennifer
Jennifer

Carrollton , MS



About
Hello! I'm twenty six years old. I have a part time job and a hyper four year old. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Jennifer


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Jennifer



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Jennifer


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Jennifer