"Bitter Sweet"

"Bitter Sweet"

A Story by Joe Price
"

Cali's an atheist. But what would her parents do if they ever found out.

"

“Bitter Sweat”

By Joe Price

 

1.

            Cali’s an atheist. But what would her parents do if they ever found out? Her parents are Christians and very religious. Cali is very beautiful. She is short and has short curly black hair that goes down to her shoulders, and brown colored eyes. She wears glasses.

Cali’s mom, Regina, has short and straight red hair that goes down to her shoulders. Regina is tall with blue eyes and has an abnormally small nose. Cali’s dad, Robert, is shorter than Regina. When they dated in college, everyone always said “She’s too tall for you.” He’s about 5 feet and 8 inches tall while Regina is 6 feet and 2 inches tall. He and Regina are so religious that they’ll s**t a chicken if you dare question God, Jesus, Mary, but whatever in Cali’s standards. Cali didn’t have a problem with her parents for believing in God. She wonders what would happen if they ever knew.

            What’s the worst that could happen?” Cali thought. “Maybe I’ll tell them.” Cali said out loud to her friend, Aphelia. Aphelia is Cali’s best friend. She’s always had Cali’s back. Aphelion is very understanding. She truly gets her friends. Aphelia is a Christian also, but she didn’t have a problem with her best friend being an atheist. Aphelia always says “Religion starts wars, it’s best to believe what you want to believe and stay out of other people’s business. Cali and Aphelia were in a bar.

            “You have to tell them.” Aphelia said.

            “You don’t know them like I do. They’ll kill me if they ever find out.” Cali said as she took a sip of her wine. She is 21 but is still living with her parents due to the fact that she’s going to a nearby college.

            “I’ve met your parents and they seem like very nice people.” Aphelia said as she asked the bartender for more.

            “If I tell them they leave me alone about it?” Cali asked as if she were pissed off.

            “Yes.” Aphelia replied. They started making their way to the car. It was 11 P.M with no street lights outside of the bar, therefore, it hard for them to see. Cali too took her iphone out of her purse and went to the flashlight app that she’d just downloaded on her phone. They’d both drank a little wine, but not really enough to effect their driving. Cali started to get the keys out and paused.

            “Wait, we can’t drive. We drank.” Cali said.

            “I’ll call my parents they’ll come pick us up.” Aphelia said.

            “Ok then.” Cali agreed.

 

2.

            Aphelia’s mom and dad arrived in their big black truck. The truck is a 2015 model that they just recently drove off the lot.

            “That is one nice f*****g truck.” Cali said in an astonished manner.

            “Isn’t it?” Aphelia said. Cali opened the back door. The seats were made of red velvet leather. The seat belts also had the color of red velvet. Cali hopped up into the alluring truck and buckled up. As they started making their way home Cali’s phone rang.

            “It’s mom. She said. “Hello.” Cali said as if she were dreading talking to her.

            “Cali, where are you?” Regina said in a concerned manner.

            “I’m on my way home, but there’s something I have to tell you.” Cali said

            “What is it?” Regina said in a concerned manner.

            “I’ll tell you when I get home.” Cali said.

 

3.

            They’d finally reached Cali’s house after driving seven miles from the bar to there. Cali was dreading walking into her house to break the news to her parents, however, there’s no turning back now. She’d already told her she needed to tell her something. Cali lives in a two story house with a very large attic and a very nice basement. Cali started walking up the personal road that lead to her drive way. She walked into her house and saw her parents standing as if they were pissed off.
            “Where have you been?” Robert asked.

            “Nowhere.” Cali said.

            “What did you want to tell us?” Regina asked.

            “Ok but first maybe you should sit down.” Cali suggested.

            “Ok, tell us.” Regina said.

            “Mom, Dad. I’m an atheist.” Cali said. There was a moment of silence. Everything was just too quiet.

            “That’s all?” Regina said.

            “You’re not mad?” Cali asked as if she were surprised.

            “Heavens no!” Regina said.

            “Thank God.” Cali thought in her head. Cali put on a smile and made her way up to her room.

            “Are you serious? Are you really ok with this?” Robert said.

            “No. That’s why tonight, God told me to kill her.” Regina said.

 

4.

            Robert and Regina were clearly not ok with their daughter being and atheist. They decided that God told them to put an end to it. Robert went out to the shed to get the shovel while Regina went to the kitchen to get the knife. Robert came out of the shed with the shovel but ran into Aphelia.

            “What are you doing here?” Robert asked.

            “I just came to see if Cali told you her secret.” Aphelia said.

            “You knew?” Robert said.

            “Well, yeah. We are best friends.” Aphelia said.

            “And you were ok with it? What kind of Christian are you?” Robert shouted.

            “You’re really scaring me now.” Aphelia said. Robert took the shovel and buried it into her head and started digging two large wholes.

 

5.

            Cali was asleep until she heard a loud scream.

            “Mom? Dad?” She screamed. She started walking to the door. She opened the door and walked down the stairs. Regina was following her. She had the knife behind her back.

            “Mom you scared the crap out of me. Did you hear that lout scream?” Cali asked.

            “Afraid not. Why don’t you go get yourself some water. You look parched.” Regina said. Cali took one more step down the stairs and saw Aphelia dead on the couch.

            “Ahhhhhhhhhh!” Cali screamed. She turned around and saw a knife get buried in her chest. She fell down the stairs and died.








Copyright 2014 by Joe Price
Courtesy of TRUE TERROR PUBLICATIONS
A division of TTP Entertainment

© 2014 Joe Price


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Kind reminded Carrie by Stephan King.
Well penned. ^^

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

482 Views
1 Review
Added on August 3, 2014
Last Updated on August 3, 2014
Tags: horror, thriller, action, religoin, short story, prose, Joe Price

Author

Joe Price
Joe Price

Elizabethton, TN



About
I am a short story writer living in Tennessee. My major influences include Joe Hill and Tabitha King. more..

Writing
"Dear Cupid" "Dear Cupid"

A Story by Joe Price


Dark City Dark City

A Screenplay by Joe Price