Anima

Anima

A Story by JulianaSun
"

The things that we can´t see...

"
The wind breathed over the still body, but no breath was returned. Lifeless. The body was lifeless, all covered in a white powder. White like snow, but just as deadly as snake venom. 
The gunshots still thundered in the air. The wind wreathed around the body protectively. The soul hadn't yet deserted the flesh, lingering in the bloodstream and unaware that the spirit was already gone. Without the spirit �" the nexus which connected body and soul �" the boy could no longer stay in the world of the living. He did not know that he was dead and that he had to leave the body which  had been his home for sixteen year, and move on to the next realm. The boy didn't know, but the wind did. 
A bullet swished through the air and pierced the wind. Although it did not hurt, for the wind could not feel pain, a low hissing sound reverberated throughout the run-down houses. But it mattered not. Bullets kept flying and screams kept rising towards the sky. The fight wasn't over. And the boy's soul lingered still in the bloodstream. The wind, with its hollow fingers, touched the boy's cold hand. The soul had to be set free, even if the wind didn't really want to part with the boy.
The wind remembered how the boy - Daniel was his name �" used to stretch his hand out and ask “Are you there?”. It remembered...and that memory made it want to howl. To roar. To cry.
The first time the boy had asked that question, he was but six years old. When the wind heard him, it thought he was talking to another human, but he wasn't. After repeating the question a couple of times, the wind decided to answer. He breathed over Daniel's small hand, and the boy smiled.  And so, they became friends.
Each time Daniel was alone, he would asked “Are you there?”, and the wind would breath over him, and he would smile. Sometimes, the wind would even do small tricks for Daniel. Like spinning some worn-out plastic bag in the air, lifting it higher and higher, and then pulling it down to the ground. Other times, it would even keep the door to Daniel's room locked when Daniel's father was too drunk to know the difference between right and wrong. The wind had even protected him from the bad guys in the neighborhood by tripping them, or throwing them down, or making something fall over their heads... 
Yes, they had been friends for many years, but now that friendship had to end. The wind wished it could have stopped the bullet from plunging into Daniel's heart, but certain things were beyond the wind's power, and death was one of them. That day was bound to come. The day of Daniel's death. 
A tattooed man with a thick silver chain around his neck sauntered through the sea of flying bullets and stopped at Daniel's side. The wind recognized him. He was Daniel's big brother, Tino. He gazed down and shook his head.
“Stupid boy! You had to take what wasn't yours and start a war!” he grumbled angrily. “What a waste!” He bent down and brushed some of the white powder off Daniel's face and then tasted it. “What a waste! I could have made so much money from this!” 
The wind wanted Tino away from Daniel. He had already done enough harm to the boy. The wind blew the white powder over Tino, and he stumbled back.
“What the hell!” he brawled, covering his face with his arms. 
The wind blew stronger. The white powder etched onto Tino like a leech. Disgruntled, Tino blundered away, leaving the body behind. Daniel's soul began rising. Slowly. Reluctantly. It was finally happening...
When the soul was floating only inches away from the body, Daniel looked around him and under him. He did not understand why he could see himself. He was scared and confused. Then, upon seeing the red smudge tainting his shirt and the white powder, he suddenly realized that he had been shot, and that his life was over. The thought felt unbearable. And awfully lonely.
“Are you there?” he asked with a shaky voice.
As always the wind answered - it softly breathed over his soul. Daniel smiled. He didn't feel as frightened anymore.
“I am dead,” the boy murmured, sadness weighing heavy on his words. “What am I to do now?”
The wind took his friend by the hand, for the last time, and hauled him towards the sky, towards his new home.

© 2015 JulianaSun


Author's Note

JulianaSun
I am a big fan of rain and storms. That´s how I got this idea.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Brilliantly creative! Can't remember reading anything like this before. I especially loved the fact that you didn't set this piece into a fantasy world where talking, feeling elements might not have been extraordinary, but into our present day world with dysfunctional families, gang fights and drug problems. What a wonderful and surprising contrast!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

JulianaSun

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the kind and for liking the story. :)

J



Reviews

This was such an interesting read. I loved the personification of the wind. The narration reminded me of Neil Gaimon's The Graveyard Book. It would be awesome to see you turn this story into a book

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

JulianaSun

8 Years Ago

Wow, thanks. Being compared to Neil Gaiman it´s awesome! As for the book - I´m thinking about it.... read more
Brilliantly creative! Can't remember reading anything like this before. I especially loved the fact that you didn't set this piece into a fantasy world where talking, feeling elements might not have been extraordinary, but into our present day world with dysfunctional families, gang fights and drug problems. What a wonderful and surprising contrast!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

JulianaSun

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the kind and for liking the story. :)

J
Very moving...I liked how you told the story from the winds POV. A strong maid of sadness and hope makes this very powerful. You should be proud of this.

David Jae, author of Children of the Sands.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

JulianaSun

8 Years Ago

Thank you, David Jae. I am glad you enjoyed the story.

J
Wow...amazing . A true friend never leave even after death. Great idea. Friendship between a boy and the wind. Splendidly woven.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

JulianaSun

8 Years Ago

Thank you for the review, it is most welcomed. I´m glad you liked it. Writing about crazy, impossib.. read more
Sparsa Chowdary

8 Years Ago

And reading your crazy, impossible thing's works is what I am loving now :-D Keep writing :-)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

231 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 22, 2015
Last Updated on July 22, 2015
Tags: short story, death, bullet, drama, wind, soul, spirit, end, cry, scream