The Uttered Name

The Uttered Name

A Story by JulieNorell
"

Make it an omen if you'd like but I just call it life.

"

A young boy sees a man, standing at on the bridge. Intrigued, the boy sits and watches for a continued amount of time. Finally, the boy is restless and decides to speak to the man who gazes at the sky.

Star gazer, why do you gaze? Up at the sky?

Is there something my eyes can’t see?

I see the many twinkling stars, the full bright moon, but what do you see?

The stargazer, though raggedly dressed, is clean shaven but rubs his chin at what the boy has said.

I see the lost lives of many, young one, for each star up in that sky is a life living on somewhere else.

See how some make that line? That is a family, they chose to stay together.

Those stars are people who lived so virtuously and obediently that they moved on and continued to live.

The boy has a creative imagination and wants to farther his knowledge so he continues with the questions

What, stargazer, happens to the others? Do they rot in firry depths without another to hear them scream?

Do they cease to exist? These questions confuse me deeply. The stars, they are so bright, how can they be so bright when here we are all dull and shine less?

 The man does not look at the boy this time; he simply sighs and speaks words that horrify the boy.

You will learn soon enough young one. For your time is near, and you, being so young, have done no wrong. You have lived your life, but it was not meant to be for long, young one. Your time is up.

The boy is now frightened, and turns to make his escape before the man can get hold of him. But as he turns the man is suddenly in front of him. He now has a black aura radiating from him like black smoke. The boy realizes he has no escape. But he wants the name of his killer before his life fades and he proceeds to the stars.

What is your name stargazer? I want to know my killers name.

 

Death.

Many voices whispered that name. And they still do. They continue to utter those words to any who ask before they send them to the stars. Those words will always be uttered, for death is inevitable.

© 2011 JulieNorell


Author's Note

JulieNorell
This kinda flowed out of my finger tips. Make of it what you will. I find it dark and beautiful, because death is not always something to be scared of. PLEASE REVIEW!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great twist. I really liked this one. I think its really smart :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


i loved it, it gives me a shiver every time i read it =) great job julie


Posted 12 Years Ago


good story, scary in a way, but I thought it could have been extended a little long to give the characters more depth, very good though, just short...

Posted 12 Years Ago


I can honestly say that I have enjoyed this little story, so much so that i read it as a bed time story to my nephews. And btw way death is not scary. For the only things that are certain in life are change and death. I believe fear comes from the things we don't understand.

Posted 12 Years Ago


"sees a man, standing" No comma. "his knowledge(,) so he continues"

I did not expect that ending. It kind of just jumped there. Good job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I am still shuddering reading the end. Its so sudden, shocking and scary. I just love this write. Beautifully well written story.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I was shocked when I read it but i Find it Nice dark with beauty behind it

Posted 13 Years Ago


good story to tell kids in the dark with only a flashlight to shine in the darkness

Posted 13 Years Ago


I loved it so much!:) I'm favoriting this:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow!! the ending was a great twist, nice dark story there

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

721 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on February 25, 2011
Last Updated on March 1, 2011


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Black Swan Black Swan

A Poem by OT


Broken Broken

A Poem by OT