Chapter 1: She's back

Chapter 1: She's back

A Chapter by Nene

Boy's POV.

She was standing on top of a rock with her face towards the sea. Her arms were wide open and her eyes shut closed. Her, now longer and darker, hairs moved in harmony with the breeze.

How many years have passed by since I last saw her? Not many I guess, but enough for me to have changed. I wondered if she too had changed. She did not look much different to me. But then again, if there's one thing I have learnt, that's: Looks are deceiving. Her's had not deceived me but what reason had I to say that, now. Now that she was no longer my friend. But I wondered whether we ever were friends. She probably never even thought about me after that day.

I looked up again. I was sure it was her. Only she was capable of such freedom and carelessness. With not a worry in the world, she lived her life, peacefully and joyfully.

Gradually the wind slowed down and the waves calmed down. For a moment, everything froze in time. I looked up at how peaceful she was and at once my heart too, was at peace. I could have drowned in that moment but my damn alarm began to ring. I quickly turned it off and hoped she hadn't heard it.

No, she hadn't but her eyes were now open. I gasped. For some reason my heart began to hurt. Her eyes were different now. They were dark and cloudy. They had lost all their hope and sparkle. She looked tired and exhausted. I wondered if she was always like this. But then memories of her smiles and laughs clouded my thoughts and I couldn't bear to look at the sorrow in her eyes.

I decided to leave, since I was sure that I was resposible for part of the sorrow. But as I turned around, my foot slipped and a rock slid off from it place.

Please no.

I looked back and sure enough a pair of familiar chocolate brown eyes were staring down at me. They looked deep into me and suddenly the cloud lifted. I could see into them. The pain, the sorrow she had been through, was all visible. She was like an open book, yet so distant and mysterious.

I slowly stood up from behind the rock, not knowing what to do. She stared at me unbelievably but then her expressions soften.

Time had stopped again and there was no knowing when it would move on again. I didn't mind being there but then, the winds began to move again. They blew past us towards the sea as the night breeze took over. The sun had already set, leaving behind faint orange light. Its warmth could still be felt. It was calm and peaceful yet a haunting aura enveloped us. I could hear the sound of waves crashing into each other. But it felt faint and distant against the sound of my heartbeat, getting louder and louder by the second.

I couldn't blink. I wanted to look away but I was too afraid to make a move. Her expressions changed again and it felt as if she wanted to say something but was not sure.

Or maybe I'm just imagining it all.

I sighed and turned around. I didn't dare to look back at her, and ran towards the town. I was sure she was still furious with me. My presence would have just made things worst.

It was hard to sleep that night. My thoughts haunted me and cursed me for that day. The day it had all end. Or did it all began? I could not tell.

What was I even thinking?

I groaned and got up. It was still dark outside but I needed fresh air. I slipped on my gown and got out onto the balcony. The air outside was cold and fresh. It had a soft, saltish essence.

Our house was not much far away from the sea. I could easily see the shore over the houses. It was at a perfect location. I wondered if she could see the sea from where she lived.

The sun soon began to rise from the horizon. The dew drops twinkled as the first rays of golden sunshine hit them. The moon slowly disappeared as the Sun took over and marked the beginning of another day. Birds began to chirp as the hegde crickets sang and the redbrest robins rising from their nightly slumber, twittered. The world was waking up. It was going to be a new morning, a new life and a new beginning.

And how do I know?

Its because nothing is ever the same. Every day is a new day. A day to start again and to strive to be better then we were yesterday.

Change.

It is an essential part of life. We change everyday, bit by bit, into something we've never been before. It is a universal truth that must be accepted. And those who fail to do so, suffer dearly and die everyday.

Open to change, trying new things.
Waiting, hoping and loosing.
Thus is life.

"Couldn't sleep?"

I turned around and found my brother standing at the door.

"Yes. It was kind of stuffy inside."

Howard walked over to me. He had concern written all over his face.

"Is something bothering you?"

"Nothing I can't handle."

"Mmhm." Howard walked passed me and leaned against the railing.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" He said, looking out at the sea.

"Yes. It sure is."

Okinawa was a small, beautiful town. Not many people lived here. Cut off from the outside world, it was a world of its own.

'A peaceful town of friendly people.' That's what my father said when we decided to move here.

"Want to go for a walk?" He said, still looking at the sea.

"Sure," I replied.

Ten minutes later we were out jogging down the street. I looked around at the scene I had gotten so used too. But I had to admit iy was still as beautiful as the day we came here. The houses were much the same as ours; tin roofs, big attics and a small garden. Almost all of them were well kept with flowers and plants reflecting the mood and personality of their owners.

For instance good old Mr Parker's garden was full of bright red lillies, poppies and flowering fruit trees. He, himself was a bright cheery old man. I loved visiting him on weekends for a game or two of chess. Boy was he hard to defeat!

After a few blocks, we passed by the crazy old cat lady Mrs Veronica Sydney's house. Her garden like wise had cat nips and plants with long dangly leaves. It was surrounded with thick Mulburry bushes. Every cat's dream play-ground if you ask me.

But my favorite was Mr. Stanley. His favourite past time was bird watching. And yes, I love birds! His garden had bushes of different berries. A number of lean talk trees with bird houses hanging from the branches. In the middle of the garden was a large bird bath encircled with many small ones and tray with seeds. He was keen to share his bird watching adventures with me.

At the end of the lane was a super market. We took a right from the super market and headed down towards the beach.

The Sun had risen by the time we set foot in the sea. The heat was a bit strong for a September morning but the sea kept us cool.

We silently stood by the sea. It was calm and quiet. The water surface shimmered and glimmered as light fell on it and I had to shield my eyes.

"I'll be leaving tomorrow," Howard said breaking the silence.

"Tomorrow?" I was surprised. "Weren't you going back on Sunday."

"I was, but I got a call yesterday and there were some change of plans."

"Oh." I was a bit down.

Howard was under training at air force. And he did his job well. Naturally he also expected me to do the same. In my defence I did! But in some areas I did slack off. Hopefully this year would be different.

Sigh. I'm going to to miss him.

Howard seemed to have read my mind.

"Don't worry," he said. "You'll have school from Monday. You wouldn't even have time to miss me."

"Got that right." I grinned.

"I expect you to study hard and not waste time on useless things." He got serious. "I'll be checking up on your results and keeping an eye on you, so don't you dare slack off."

"Yes sir!"

He smiled. "And do take care of mother."

'"Don't worry, I will."

"That's like my little brother."

We stood there silently watching the sea.

Howard turned his back towards the sea. "I'm heading over to the Henderson's for breakfast. Wanna come."

"Nope." I said. "Say hi to Jack for me."

"Sure." And with that he left.

I looked out at the sea. With Howard gone, events of the previous day began to cloud my mind again. I sat down and let my thoughts flow through me. There was no use trying to resist them. I might as well go back for sometime. A little wouldn't hurt right? And with that I took a ride down the memory lane. All the was back to the first day we came here.

And it felt just like yesterday.




© 2017 Nene


Author's Note

Nene
So this is it!
I've finally begun my journey to write down "The Story Of Kays"!
Hope you enjoy and maybe connect to it.

Leave your thoughts and criticism down in the comments!

I would love to hear from you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

My Critique

I am fairly new, but I have done a few reviews. Ok, this is the way I see it. If I make a critique on your chapter, it is with the sole purpose to help you improve and I want you to see it that way. Don’t be discouraged.
All right, I assume your story is fiction. I perceive this is heading for a romance story, am I correct?
You start your story very well, you set the scenario to a very smooth romantic scene, but unexpectedly you changed the topic to a family affair that is completely in an opposite direction. About the brother being deployed, well that is a common aspect when you fulfill your duties.

This is just a comment, you should have put your first chapter based on your main character’s situation and ended in a sweet tone. The guy ran away for whatever reason he had, that is a turn off. I am not into reading romance novels, I maybe have read one, if any, still, I want to see a great woman and a great man.
I must repeat, making him run away from the situation, may make the fans wonder, what kind of man is this. Is he the kind of hero everyone wants to read about?
I think and this is just my opinion. The plot should have been mainly on that girl and the previous situation, to make the reader want to see what took place.
Your first chapter started with a great hook, and you let it go. Instead of talking about the brother at least on this stage, make your hero go back and face the lady to put some intensity into it. He left for whatever reason, but right away, he came back to amend things, if that is the case and end the chapter on a vibrant or sweet mood.
Read it again and make your own evaluation.
Ok, about your writing, is very good, good job!




Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nene

6 Years Ago

YOU. ARE. AMAZING!
Firstly, Thank you for reading my chapter even though you are not fond of .. read more



Reviews

My Critique

I am fairly new, but I have done a few reviews. Ok, this is the way I see it. If I make a critique on your chapter, it is with the sole purpose to help you improve and I want you to see it that way. Don’t be discouraged.
All right, I assume your story is fiction. I perceive this is heading for a romance story, am I correct?
You start your story very well, you set the scenario to a very smooth romantic scene, but unexpectedly you changed the topic to a family affair that is completely in an opposite direction. About the brother being deployed, well that is a common aspect when you fulfill your duties.

This is just a comment, you should have put your first chapter based on your main character’s situation and ended in a sweet tone. The guy ran away for whatever reason he had, that is a turn off. I am not into reading romance novels, I maybe have read one, if any, still, I want to see a great woman and a great man.
I must repeat, making him run away from the situation, may make the fans wonder, what kind of man is this. Is he the kind of hero everyone wants to read about?
I think and this is just my opinion. The plot should have been mainly on that girl and the previous situation, to make the reader want to see what took place.
Your first chapter started with a great hook, and you let it go. Instead of talking about the brother at least on this stage, make your hero go back and face the lady to put some intensity into it. He left for whatever reason, but right away, he came back to amend things, if that is the case and end the chapter on a vibrant or sweet mood.
Read it again and make your own evaluation.
Ok, about your writing, is very good, good job!




Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nene

6 Years Ago

YOU. ARE. AMAZING!
Firstly, Thank you for reading my chapter even though you are not fond of .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
1 Review
Added on June 23, 2017
Last Updated on June 24, 2017


Author

Nene
Nene

In my own world



About
Me?? I love to write write write.. Nene's my nick name. No one actually calls me by my real name. I'm really into animations Especially Irish, Japanese, Chinese and much more I've been fond of .. more..

Writing
Sacrifice Sacrifice

A Poem by Nene