Death in Autumn

Death in Autumn

A Poem by Kate mccracken

I know a lot of people love fall because of the weather.

Cozy sweaters, warm drinks, pretty colors, and good food.

Sometimes it amazes me how many people overlook the most magical thing about the season.

How it shows us that even in death there is beauty.


The leaves on the trees burn the brightest shade they ever have possessed right before they fall.

It lasts for a week, maybe two, a split second in the lives of trees.

It spreads like wildfire across the earth, you have to remember to look fast enough to see it.

Each tree's leaves fall at different times.

Brisk, cruel winds, snatching the last living memories of the majestic plants.

First the one on the hill, then the one by the pond, and then the one that obscures the small house from sunlight.

Each one shedding glowing leaves until all that’s left are clashing branches in the grey air.


If you are prepared, you can see laughter, a happiness in the last moments of a life.

Only for a second, and only if you look.

A bright burning of it’s own kind that makes a memory last forever.

Just before the warm arms of death embrace another soul.


When snow begins to fall, the trees sit silently, maybe grieving, maybe sleeping.

Over the long months of winter, nothing stirs, nothing breaths.

And then the sun starts to filter through the sky once again, warm rays melting the frigid blanket keeping mother earth safe and sound.

All of the trees begin to grow buds again.

Not in the same spot, no, no tree is ever the same as it was the previous year.  

But new, soft, bright, green leaves grow back.

Life starts another cycle.

Until once again, when the sharp winds start to blow,

Mother earth reminds us that even in death, silence, and sadness, there is a beautiful fire of life.

© 2017 Kate mccracken


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

you have a differrent perspective of this season...you can actually imagine yourself in that place when ur reading the poem

Posted 6 Years Ago


Probably the best thing I've read here, or anywhere in years. It read like prose, like an ode as lovely as the season you described. I really enjoyed it. Thank you so much.

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is highly observative... I love the way u think there is beauty in death .. there is a bit of joy n grace in death

Posted 6 Years Ago


I really like this, even feel inspired and ready for fall to come, so I can go look for beauty you've described so well in this piece. Actually, I can't wait. Thanks for giving me a new perspective on fall and the lives of trees.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 29, 2017
Last Updated on June 29, 2017