My Monsters

My Monsters

A Poem by Katie Louise

There were never any monsters, hiding under my bed.
Or lurking in the dark parts of my room.
But the monsters were real, like the tales had said.
And they smelled like whiskey and perfume.

They came in the night, with the lights turned out.
Whispering spitefully as they crept in.
And with their voices raised, they'd begin to shout.
As they hit and scratched at my skin.

Bruised and guilt-ridden, I had to face each day.
Believing this was the love that I deserved.
Now the bruises have faded, but the memories stay.
Memories of the torture I observed.

© 2013 Katie Louise


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ty
Very sad but obviously very well written. Excellent job of bringing out these real nightmares with such honesty.

Posted 9 Years Ago


A really descriptive view of a troubled childhood. Touched me heart.
God bless you

Posted 9 Years Ago


You have a strong way of expressing this haunting experience with innocence inflamed
by the cruel side of life. Your words are put forth simple like a child yet timed with skill
a pleasure to read and not.100/100


Rossen

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your monsters have me floored, Katie. A heavy poem, which is so well written.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Ah wow another hard hitting piece. But again, I think it's put together perfectly.
It's a beautiful poem depicting so well the pain and hurt experienced by too many children and the torment they then deal with in ways lasting after their monsters are gone / they are away from them...



Posted 10 Years Ago


Nice rhyme scheme. The poem flows well and explains the fears we all felt as children. Nice work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is how poetry should be done when it involves painful experiences.

Posted 10 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Cid
"Believing this was the love that I deserved." yes, it's a true-line, I do believe you do 'Deserve' love, a love that keeps ya into heart, a love that makes blush on yer face, removes yer every pain, cleans-up yer bad days to take ya away to the world of 'Joy' ... that's all you do deserve even you do deserve much more than mah words.

Guilt, hurt, ridden, pain, wrench, dark-nights, bruises, spit, torture at all you don't deserve even the pain doesn't fit in you, never suits on you because 'Goddesses' wash away the pain never ever live with the pain. Your 'Tears' are 'Diamonds' so don't waste it all, don't pluck it from yer eyes because it's much 'Expensive' even it's all yer 'Luxury' assets.

This poem's very strong, a heartfelt write but the painful one as well.
"May you stay away from the pain, you are in the world to be your loved ones rain."

Posted 10 Years Ago


Thank you so much for submitting this, and congratulations! A beautifully, well-written poem describing in detail the pain and heartache that abuse victims suffer.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Katie Louise

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.
Was this an experience you really had in real life? If it is, I am deeply sorry your monsters run so deep, but this poem described it perfectly. It's tragic and sad, but honest and truthful.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

483 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 28, 2013
Last Updated on December 28, 2013
Tags: child abuse, children, child, abuse, hurt, monsters, monster, sad, depression

Author

Katie Louise
Katie Louise

Busselton, Western Australia, Australia



Writing
demons demons

A Poem by Katie Louise



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


My Camera My Camera

A Poem by Half Dream