Mad Men

Mad Men

A Story by Kelso A. Nicholson
"

A vignette based of the idea of the show, Mad Men.

"
Mad men run the streets like wolves in the heat of a full moon. They bathe in the smoke of their nicotine addiction and toss back the delicious bite of whatever poison fills their tumblers. They prepare for the game of the city with whatever can numb their doubts and ease their conscience. Once they step out into the asphalt jungle they are solely on their own. They must play the cards they have been dealt and hope they pull in winnings. The dogs sit around hexagon tables with full pockets and sheer confidence. Business men of the city, with wrinkled and worn faces from the struggle of the urban world around them. Mad men who leave their pretty-faced wives at home with their round-faced, toothless, innocent children. Children who sit in front of the black and white and watch a faux world while their slick-haired daddies play in the real world with the bad men. Bad men who cheat, and steal, and drink until they feel nothing about their actions. Actions that define who they are and the kind of man they want to be. Gentlemen who put on warm smiles to cover up their cold hearts. Every man must be an actor, a potent representation of the perfect man, the smoothest gentleman, and the most attentive lover and friend. A tie pulls together a mans visage, the centerpiece of crisp suits and pressed pleats. But to the world we see it as the noose for  men who find no pleasure in the game and seek smooth exits to happiness. For most men wish only to return home to those pretty-faced wives and those innocent children and put aside the world outside the streets with porch lights on. To come home to a full plate and a full life. But these men are meant to sit discussing the game in wood paneled offices with other stone-faced men. Mad men not only run the streets, they also run the buildings and the people. Perched up in corner offices like gargoyles watching the people with sly smirks spread across their lush faces. Man men run the world and we are the maddest of men.

© 2013 Kelso A. Nicholson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
Added on March 31, 2013
Last Updated on March 31, 2013
Tags: madmen, vignette

Author

Kelso A. Nicholson
Kelso A. Nicholson

Glen Gardner, NJ



About
I'm 26 years old, I write a lot of poetry and vignettes. I focus a lot on love, loss, and beauty. I hope you like my work and would love to hear some responses. more..

Writing