The Transition

The Transition

A Story by Lachlan.M

I come to an opening, a threshold, a portal from this world to the next. I begin to stare, at what I am un-comprehensive. I begin to look deeper; as I look I begin to make out silhouettes, figures, they look to be moving, dancing, and laughing almost. They are still but black figures, I look again deeper. Flashes of colour begin to greet the figures, giving them character, giving them life. Soon I begin to realise who they are. They are my wife, my friends and my daughter.

“Look at my little angel” As I see my little girls face.

 All the people I loved most in the most cherished moments of my life, my baby girl’s birth, my wedding, my best friend’s bachelor party. All being relived right before my eyes, a tornado of memories all presenting themselves like the first flower of spring.

I take a step forward to touch this gateway but as I extend my arm it touches nothing, not a wall, not a canvas, just an empty vacuum. I am overwhelmed with confusion, the desire to understand and fathom what is happening. I send a probe into my head looking for some kind of inspiration but it comes back unsuccessful. I look forward to see my daughter blowing out candles on her 6th birthday, as the last candle is blown the image disappears. I begin to look around, seeing only darkness. Fear engulfs me, my heart starts to race and my muscles grow tense.

“God help me.”

 As I turn looking for some kind of a petrifying roar slices through my ears like a hot knife through butter. The roar continues, I raise my hands to muffle my ears with no prevail. After what feels like years the roar begins to soften, words begin to form. Not in English or any language I have ever heard but somehow I understand. The voice instructs me to open my eyes, not just physically but to what has happened. Again a wave of confusion consumes me.

“My eyes are open…aren’t they?” I question myself

I begin to try to open them, through the slight crack in my eyelids flows a blinding light. I continue to open them, letting my eyes adjust to see a field, green and thriving, riddled with wildflowers and a pond in the centre. The temperature is just right, there is a beautiful breeze and the sun is shining.

“This is heaven.”

As I make my way to the pond I feel of the grass on my bare feet, the aroma of the flowers and the vivid colours dancing before my eyes. As I reach the pond I look in expecting fish and other aquatic life but instead I see my daughter, playing on the lawn in front of my house. As I watch this I feel a hand grab my shoulder. Some sort of instinct tells me not to turn but just to listen.

You can watch over them here.” 

© 2014 Lachlan.M


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on November 27, 2014
Last Updated on November 27, 2014
Tags: short story