How I Grew Old

How I Grew Old

A Story by Laney
"

You don't just grow old one day...or do you?

"

It crept upon me in the earliest beginings of the morning. You know the time I speak of; when dark is still around you but you know the light of day is there, hiding, waiting, stalking the night like a cat does a bird. I was in my bed, arm under my head, hand curled close to my face.  A most comfortable postion to have had such an unconfortable condition announced to me.  As the morning light spilled across my bed, I was aghast to see my mothers hand where mine had been! I knew it was hers for I recognized the familiar blue lace and brown buttons of aged skin. It horrified me to see her hand for she had been dead for seventeen years.  I couldn't imagine how it came to be in my bed.  How did it get there?  What did it mean?  My mind was racing with frightening thoughts. I moved in an attempt to get a better view of the hideous, weathered thing...Oh my God! It was my own hand!  What trick was this and who had played it on me? This couldn't possibly be the young, smooth hand I knew was mine. Why, it wasn't so long ago it had picked up jacks and dolls.  I know it was beautiful when my love placed a band of gold on it. Wasn't it just yesterday it held a tiny baby boy new to the world?  But no, wait! That little boy is a man now, the gold band tarnished and hidden away in some old jewelry box. And the dolls?  They are gone too,  I just can't remember where.

How did I get here and was it as fast as it seems?  How could  I remember the smell of my mothers' fragrant power, her soft touch when I was sick, the feel of the country morning air before school, my fathers laugh as he read me the funny papers before bed each night?  How could I remember these things so clearly if they weren't just yesterday? Where have all my yesterdays gone?  How many more yesterdays will I have ahead of me?  Most important, have I made any yesterdays worthwhile for my children to remember when they see my hand at the end of their own arm?  I guess only time will tell.

© 2009 Laney


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I've been meaning to read these submissions sooner and give out the rewards but unfortunately my computer was messed up so I had to purchase another one. Anyway, This piece is so true! Time passes by so quickly we seem to think things happens yesterday or so. Aging is something you don't really notice until you really take a long look in the mirror. When you look into a mirror each day you see the same face that you seen yesterday, reality only sets in when you grow wrinkles or have a new mark on your face. No one actually takes the time to sit and think of how fast they have aged. They only start when they finally take that long look in the mirror. Very wonderful piece! I love it!

P.S sorry for the long review.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 11, 2009
Last Updated on October 11, 2009

Author

Laney
Laney

Dallas, TX



Writing
Red Headed Lucy Red Headed Lucy

A Story by Laney