Follow the leader

Follow the leader

A Poem by Avoiry
"

odd thought

"

Following the leader, the leader, the leader

We’re following the leader where ever he may go

Following what leader , what leader, what leader

Your following a leader because they told you so…

 

They danced the night away with fire bursting in their tiny eyes. They knew the falsehoods of youth and yet they followed him blindly in his tribal steps. He was no man and if he was a man, he was a man beyond men. “Following the leader the leader!” They sang with all the air their lungs could carry but lungs can only exhale so many words before falling silent and immobile. Nameless and faceless he spun his magic on the world as the children fell still and the world grew cold. In reflection we knew him as his eyes encompassed us all, our souls for his filling. We knew his hands, stoic and frail, and we knew his breath that ate the life, but we did not know his life as he had none to give nor take. The children transcended not a question, not a doubt , as the ages fell sick. In their ignorance they rejoiced following his song dancing, rejoicing * “Were following the leader where ever he may go !” * To the ends of the earth they tread beyond lands burned barren by the demons that lived before them. There was no end to the dark masqueraders trance and as he fell upon the world with his blade he smiled and spoke his first words * “Following what leader , what leader? What leader!” *He asked as he took the children by the hand * “I could be your leader, A leader, some leader ” * A moment of silence entered the world but in their need for approval they held fast fingers wrenching, the blood in their nails their pact with the dead. They followed him down beneath the bounds of reasoning and beyond the lands of their own sweat and tears.  Abandoning Gods and Angels they fell into an earth that knew nothing of soil of good will and to their throats his scythe fell swift their lives all his for the taking. Death was no name but a piece of all and nothing at our heels he stalked and at our front he beckoned. * “Why do you follow a leader? Such a leader! Your following a leader, because they told you so!” He whispered to the world as he claimed his throne a beast above all treason above all standing he stood. * “Following no leader , no leader, Following no leader , as only a leader would…”

© 2010 Avoiry


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was a great piece! Dark, intriguing, with great imagery. I noticed a typo in the third-from-last line after "Such a leader!" It should be "You're" instead of "Your". But other than that, it is a great piece! This could definitely be the intro to an incredible adventure. Such a gruesome scene. Love it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very though provoking piece. what first comes to mind for me as a reader is the Fall of Lucifer and his angel followers. In another reading of this, i think this would also make a fine beginning for an apocalyptic fantasy novel, with this a story being told to children around a campfire on a wasted earth or some similar scene. probably none of these thoughts you intended but that's what makes good writing, the interpretation that others take with them after they have read your work. Thanks for sharing this on the cafe.

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Considering this is prefaced as "odd thought," there isn't too much to say. I think that what you have here has some interesting themes and connotations that you could explore in a more concrete story or poem, if you felt like doing that. It's interesting, and leaves room for some development.

Posted 14 Years Ago


i like it its smart telling us a leader can fail you and you should be your own instead

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 2, 2010
Last Updated on February 2, 2010

Author

Avoiry
Avoiry

taipei, TX



About
The Facts My name is Avoiry. I like to do a lot of things but we don't need to get into that. I'm a closet cynic , a pro pretender, a verbal arms dealer, and a false eye lash applicator in training. .. more..

Writing
baloooooonnn baloooooonnn

A Poem by Avoiry


The red room The red room

A Poem by Avoiry