The Sacrifice: An Elegy

The Sacrifice: An Elegy

A Chapter by Loekie
"

King Gwefldn has fallen. His people had gathered to honour a great king with a wake that lasts three days. This is one of the stories of someone touched by the King. Based on an Amerindian tale.

"

Silence fell in the room as Cairbre left the podium. Taliesin looked from his fur draped chair, out to the assembled people. The brazier was starting to burn low. He could see that the people were growing restless, wondering who would stand up next. Some wished to stand up but did not know how to say what they felt. Some thought what they had to say was too trivial and not worthy of such a solemn occasion. Some sat, still numbed by the death of King Gwefldn.


Taliesin’s eyes roamed the room. His eyes met with a pair of old eyes; filled with age and secrets. The old man tried to pull away from the druid’s gaze but could not. The gaze asked the old man what he did not want to do. He could not talk about the sacrifice. It had been kept secret for so long. To the point it gnawed at the roots of his soul.


The old man lowered his head, breaking the spell of the druid’s gaze. His heart was filled with remorse and grief. But, for a moment, under the druid’s gaze, he felt release. As he stared at the remains of his mutton, the old man realized what he had to do. It was time to tell everyone what had happened. But he did not know if he could find the words.


As the old man rose to his feet, a light murmur came over the assembly. People looked to each other, wondering. Would he talk about it? One of the younger warriors, quickly rose to help the mighty old man. Will he now tell us what Gwefldn would not? As the young warrior reached to help him, he slowly shook his head. He would go to the emhnae by himself.


Instead of walking, from the table, proudly, the old man shuffled, as if weighed down by the great weight of age. One warrior turned to his mate and said: ‘I hope to be as him when I reach his age.’ But the words did not reach the him.


The old man stopped by the brazier. He took a handful of yarbach. Slowly, he lifted his withered hand and sprinkled the dust into the flames. The flames leapt up as smoke rose into the air. A pungent aroma filled the air.


He stood, in front of the brazier, silent in thought. It was traditional, at the wáth to pause and give thanks. To ábéodan, the departed. After a moment of thought, the old man continued to the emhnae.


When he reached the oak podium, the old warrior turned to the assembled in the room. Tears were streaming down his wrinkled cheeks. In his shrouded chair, Taliesin waited impassively. The assembled thought they knew the grief the old man was feeling. Many had worried when the news came of King Gwefldn’s death, it would kill him. Yet Tryffin ab Halwn persevered. The younger warriors were quickly reminded a warrior so great and mighty could withstand much.


With shaking hands, the old man grabbed out to the emhnae. The heavy podium was made of oak, so it could give him support. Yet it looked as if he was about to collapse. Several warriors started to rise, to help the old man. Taliesin raised his hand, his eyes flashing in warning. The warriors reluctantly sat down.


And to the amazement of the gathered, they saw Taliesin rise. He picked up his great, horned cup, his ampelle, and filled it with mead. Slowly he glided to the emhnae. It was gently placed down, for the old man. Without a word, the druid returned to his seat.


The people stared in astonishment. Only Taliesin would give his cup to someone as great as Tryffin, many thought. In known memory, only three had drunk from the cup. And King Gwefldn was one. Everyone assembled in the room sat in reverence as the old man prepared to speak.


The old man’s eyes did not lift up from the podium. He could not face the friends and comrades, before him. For the tale he was about to tell would bring shame. Reveal a dark tale that none of them knew fully. A chapter which he had kept to himself, revealing it to no one. But now he was about to tell everyone. None of those amassed would be able to cherish some memories in the same way, once he was finished.


“I’ve come to tell you of what many have heard of but know little of.” The old man spoke with a soft, trembling voice.


“There have been many a story and tale of what happened. All based on truth. All based on rumour.” The old man looked up, briefly, to the crowd with rheumy eyes. “I will now tell the tale.”


Suddenly his voice gained resolve and force. His shaking hands became rigid. Before the people, the old man grew in stature. “I will now tell you of the sacrifice.


“Many of you know of the tale, since you were there. Some of you heard it from the bards. Now I must tell the truth of that fateful journey we made.


“It was the twenty-first cycle of the reign of King Gwefldn. The one we proudly called Bregu or Ealdor as Bilewit would call him, behind his back. A darkness seemed to have come upon the land. The hunt grew scarce. The animals grew small.


“Many said the darkness was caused by the druids which wished to bring King Gwefldn down, after he had banished them. Many thought they had called up the Ealdorbealu. He scoffed, saying it was just a dry spell. But rumours grew of a black, evil creature which lurked in the woods. An evil creature which was scaring away the animals.


“After many consultations, King Gwefldn decided to take action. He would do a hunt, to show that the animals had not fled the kingdom. And if there were such a dark creature, he would hunt it down.


“He assembled his horse and his hounds,” the old man’s voice cracked and was silent for a moment. Many looked at him, knowing of the pain. All had seen King Gwefldn with his hounds. He always treated them with respect. He treated them as if they were part of his family.


Every night, as he laid down to sleep, his hounds would sleep with him, by his side. As he walked about his kingdom, they would be by his side, or in front of him. At meals, he would serve them before he ever ate. After a kill, he would always give them the first meat from the kill. All the courtesies he would extend to guest and family, were extended to his hounds.


Some remembered one day, when a travelling druid, Zargash, remarked that more should be like Prince Gwefldn and show respect to their pets. Prince Gwefldn rose from his seat, angered.


“These magnificent hounds are not pets, dear sir,” he said crossly. “They are my equals. In many ways, superior to myself. Be it their sense of smell, or vision, or agility, they are my superior.”


The druid Zargash laughed. “But, sire, you are talking of mere dogs. If you wish to talk about the eagle or weasel. Or of the raven or fox, perchance I could see your point. I applauded your respect for your dogs but they are but dogs.”


Gwefldn’s eyes flashed in anger. But he knew better than to fight a druid. He sat down and handed a piece of venison to his hounds.


“If you see my hounds as mere dogs, that is your loss.”


“You make it sound as if they know more than just hounds.” Zargash laughed once again. “Next you will be telling me they can speak.”


Gwefldn merely shrugged. “They may. But I suspect they have nothing important to say.”


The druid shook his head slowly. “So it is when one is lost in the love of their pets.”


“You may believe that. Well, so be it for narrow vision.”


Many at the table gasped at what Prince Gwefldn had said. Heads turned to look for the soothing presence of Taliesin. But he was not to be seen. Many were struck with terror and worry because of the prince’s rash words.


Zargash looked at the prince. He reached for his goblet and raised it into the air. The air was tense with worry. Without Taliesin, there was no way to counter a curse from this travelling druid.
The goblet hovered by the lips of the druid. But he would not take a sip. He looked at Gwefldn and let out a hearty laugh. The goblet rose up in a salute.


“You have the druid air about you, Prince Gwefldn.” Zargash paused. “And you are right about your magnificent hounds.”


The warriors smiled at the memory that the old man bought back from the depths of many cycles. But the smiles grew to frowns as another memory came to them.


“At this time, his faithful hounds numbered four. As you may remember. The four came from the litter of Téln. Three hearty pups and one runt. Pushed aside by her brothers as they would go to suckle.
“But King Gwefldn would gently push aside the hungry brothers, to allow the runt to suckle her mother’s milk. At times, the hungry pups would snap at the King but he took the pups milk teeth.


“In time, they grew into maturity. Be it because of King Gwefldn’s intervention or fate, but the hearty pups grew to accept the runt. And unlike other’s, the King named the pups himself. Of the hearty ones, he named one Long-Tooth because his teeth were long. The second he called Sure-Foot because he was quick and agile. The third he called Quick-Ears because he would hear things before many others.


“The fourth, the runt, he called Four-Eyes. For on her forehead were two white spots which looked as if they were eyes.


“As many of you know, whereas the three would move about, Four-Eyes was always by the King’s side, except on the hunts. There was mutterings that she had special powers and caused many to fear her. But the King laughed at any those suggestions.


“So that fateful day, King Gwefldn decided to hunt. To prove that either there was no curse, or to kill the evil creature.


“He summoned his warriors, to tell them of his resolve. Many stood up, to be by his side.” The old man looked up, briefly, to some faces. “You told him he should not go alone, to face the creature of darkness. You tried to convince him he must go with his knights. To go out, with him, into the possible nearu.


“King Gwefldn stood before us and said no. ‘If this be a curse put upon the land, by the druids, then I must confront it.’


“It was then Bilewit jumped to his feet and said ‘We will stand by you, sire.’ And his son, Fale, rose to his feet. Many others rose to pledge their allegiance to their sovereign. He let us speak our minds before he spoke again.


“It was then he looked at us. Slowly he shook his head. ‘I cannot take you all. This is my burden. Also, the dust of all of you will reveal my approach. No, this I must do alone and leave you to guard my lands.’


“It was then something spoke in my heart. I rose, with King Gwefldn looking at me, quizzically. He knew not what was going through my heart and mind. I remember many of you becoming silent so there was no sound in the lodge. King Gwefldn looked at me.


“‘You have something to say?’


“‘Yes, I do, sire.’


““And what do you wish to say?’


“‘You are right not to go hunting with all your men. But would it not be wise to bring one of us?’


“The King stood there, pondering what I had said. ‘Is it not customary you bring a companion on a hunt? Be it just a page? I recommend, sire, you bring one of your mightiest warriors to be by your side when you go forth to the dark menace.’ I had a great fear that if he were to go alone, there would be dire consequences.


“The King thought for a moment and then looked at me and said: ‘You are right, Tryffin. In my pride, I thought my hounds and I could do this alone. But you are right, I must bring another with me.’


“The room became alive with warriors, offering their service. Throughout the outbursts, King Gwefldn’s gaze never left my face. Once peace came to the room, he released his gaze.


“‘Since it was Tryffin who suggested a companion, I would say that he has the first rights to offer his services.’ Without reservation, I offered them to him. But then Taliesin appeared and told the King that he should not run off so rashly. He must be prepared before he departed.


“I will not talk of the preparations for it involves magicks which is not to be revealed. Save through Taliesin’s voice. The three days of preparation, with Taliesin, was arduous and lengthy.


“Through his magicks, wide and varied, he warned us of a great danger that laid before us. If the beast existed, the darkness of the supposed beast could instill fear even in the greatest warrior.” The old man paused in the ancient memory. The flames burnt brightly in the brazier. The pungent aroma of yarbach still left tendrils of smell in the room. Taliesin sat, in the shadows of memory as all eyes were on the mighty warrior.


The old man stirred from his thoughts. “After the three days, it was time to depart. King Gwefldn sat on Caserlic, Niemh at his side and the blood stone on his brow. His four hounds, sat proudly by his side.


“I came forth on Lasner, ready to join the King on his mission. The King spoke, briefly to all those who were gathered. He said he would go out and search for game. And if the hunt was successful, then the curse would be lifted. For if a sovereign could not hunt deer or boar in his own dominion, then no one else could. And if the hunt would be for a dark creature, so be it.


“Once again, many of the warriors offered their sword arm to the King. The dark beast would be a formidable adversary. King Gwefldn laughed.


“‘With Tryffin ab Halwn at my side and my beloved hounds, in front of us, nothing can thwart us, save fear. The six of us will prove formidable adversaries to the dark curse that so many have come to believe.’ But the King did not voice what we had learnt from Taliesin. We did not speak that the creature of darkness may be real and out in the land.


“I remember the day we left. The night before, the moon had been full. The leaves of the trees were starting to change colour. The smell of passage was in the air. The wind hinted of the coming chill of winter.


“The farmers were rushing to finish their harvest. Preparing for the celebration of Samhainn, before the snows start to fall. To give thanks and praise to those who came before us. To remember that we are one of the Chosen.


“We left the castle, to the north and roamed the countryside in search for game. But it seemed as if all the animals had been driven away. The wealds were barren. Even the sounds of crickets were missing. A darkness, no a sceadu, had fallen on the land.


“Four-Eyes ran in front of us, while the rest of the hounds were by our side. We were out, in search for three days and three nights. And saw no game. The silence of the forest seemed unnatural. We, including the hounds, grew nervous.


“At night, by the camp fire, we would prepare our rations. Before eating himself, the King would make sure that I and his hounds were fed. Only then would he eat. As we fell asleep, the hounds would curl up around the King, save Four-Eyes. She seemed forever awake, keeping vigil.


“The last night, we were all uneasy. Why, I cannot say. The King and his three hounds finally fell into a disturbed slumber. But I could not sleep. I laid by the dying fire, unable to sleep. At the edge of the camp, I could see the wiry form of Four-Eyes. Staring out into the darkness of the forest.


“I rose from my sleeping pouch and approached the hound. Her ears moved, knowing I was approaching. There she sat, at the edge of light and dark. I picked up a f****t and threw it into the fire. Sparks and embers jumped into the fresh, autumn air.


“I sat down beside Four-Eyes and scratched her behind her ear. ‘Do you sense something, Four-Eyes?’ I asked the hound. Of course, I did not expect an answer. The muscles under her fur was tense and taut. She sensed something as I did. We were close to our journey’s end.


“I ran my hand over the short, bristly fur of Four-Eyes. ‘I hope I can show the faith and loyalty the four of you have for the King.’ Four-Eyes turned and looked at me with mournful eyes.


“The sadness I saw, shook me. I put my hand on Four-Eyes head. ‘Worry not, my friend. All will be right.’ The sadness seemed to fade. Then the hound looked back to the dark void of the forest. Looking for the source of our unease. Somewhere in this place was what we were looking for.


“I needed my rest, else I would be of no use to the King. Before returning to my pouch, I reached into my ration bag and pulled out some cured meat. I put it by Four-Eyes.


“‘We will all need our strength, tomorrow.’ I said to the hound. ‘If you wish to stay up, take this to give you some sustenance. And if you wish to have some sleep, wake me and I will take your place.’ I cannot say why I spoke to the hound as such but I did. Four-Eyes turned to look at me. I cannot explain what I saw in her eyes except concern and relief.


“Four-Eyes then brought her muzzle to my hand and rubbed it against my palm. I rose, petting the hound. I returned to my pouch. I looked at King Gwefldn and the hounds by him. It was then I noticed that not one of them were sleeping. Their eyes were half closed but ever watchful.


“I crawled into my sleep pouch but could not fall asleep. I laid in my pouch, restless. Then I heard the soft padding of paws coming toward me. I bolted up, to see the eyes of Quick-Ears. The musky smell of the hound filled the air. He laid down beside me, the warmth of his body penetrating my pouch. And, at the edge of the camp, Four-Eyes was looking at me. A sense of security came to me, allowing me sleep.


“I awoke at sunrise. When the sun is but a sliver. Quick-Ears was still beside me, with eyes half-closed. My movements had his ears twitch, then stop. I scratched the hound, behind his ears. And at the edge of the camp, sat Four-Eyes. I thanked Quick-Ears for the service he had performed. His tail briefly thumped against the ground.


“The cured meat I had pulled out earlier was gone. As I rose, the Four-Eyes gave me a quick glance. The King was still asleep with his hounds. As the sun became a hand’s width, the King started to stir. With sleepy eyes, King Gwefldn noticed Quick-Ears stirring by my pouch.


“‘It would seem that my hounds have taken to you, Tryffin.’ I was a little confused by his comment. ‘Save Taliesin, I have never known my hounds to leave my side. I would take that to be a good sign of what awaits us.’ I didn’t know what to say but I thought Four-Eyes was looking at me as the King spoke.


“We broke fast and then camp. We spent the fourth day, as the previous days, searching. It was only as the sun started to cast long shadows, we heard something.


“All four hounds stopped, muzzles in the air. Suddenly, from the bramble, a deer with a white chest burst forth. The King looked at me. The hunt was upon us. The hounds leapt in pursuit. We reined our horses and followed.


“The hounds ran before us, Four-Eyes as always in front. The chase lasted for three hours. Until finally, we came into an open expanse. The deer was bounding in front of us, leaving tracks in dead grass. Our horses hooves crackled as they tore through the grass. The deer of our pursuit was growing tired. It’s speed and agility grew erratic.


“King Gwefldn called to his hounds. He reined his horse to a stop and mentioned me to stop. The hounds seemed ill at ease but they obeyed their master. The deer approached a dead elm tree which looked like it had been shattered by lightning.


“The King quickly dismounted and pulled out his bow. ‘A buck of such stamina will tell many that there is still game, Tryffin.’ He cocked his bow and an arrow sung through the air. The deer fell near the elm tree.


“King Gwefldn looked at me. ‘The hounds are ill at ease, as am I. I do not recognize this place.’ We proceeded carefully, our soft boots breaking the dead blades beneath us. The hounds cautiously followed us.


“The buck laid 20 lengths from the dead elm. It had been a great tree in it’s time. But the top had been broken off and the inside burnt away. A tree shattered from the inside out by lightning.


“It was a clean kill. The King pulled out the arrow. He cleaned the bloody arrow head in the dead grass, as tradition calls for. ‘May the blood of this kill give the power back to the land.’ He pulled put a small pouch he had been given by Taliesin. He sprinkled some dust on the bloodied grass.


“Then King Gwefldn and I started to clean the kill. We noticed that the hounds did not gather, as they normally did. The King always gave them the reward of the first cut of meat. He called to them but they stood still, looking at the dead elm.


“I remember thinking either something was wrong or the hounds were not hungry. Unlike many other people, the King did not raise his voice to his hounds.


“‘Come and join us in the kill, brothers.’ he said again. The hounds looked at the King and then back to the elm. The King turned to look at the darkening elm.


“‘There is something about the elm, Tryffin. I’ve always trusted and respected my hounds. They sense something.’


“‘Could this be the creature of darkness?’ I asked.


“‘Unless it sleeps, in the hollow of the tree, I doubt it. But there seems to be death in this area. I feel this may be the source of our troubles. But I doubt it is a creature. I suspect some spell which is seeping outward from the tree. Poisoning the land. Look at it. It is almost as if it has been defiled. I would even say áfÿlan.’”


“‘Mayhap the druids.’


“‘Possibly. We will camp here for the night. We will watch the tree as the hounds. I will return to the forest for some kindling for fire while you finish cleaning the kill. In the morn we will return and bring Taliesin back to this spot. He will know what should be done properly.’


“King Gwefldn walked to Caserlic and mounted his horse. As I continued the cleaning of the kill, the shadows grew longer. As the sun started to set, my discomfort grew. The air was deathly still. There were no sounds of animals and insects. The flies had not arrived to buzz around the carcass.


“King Gwefldn returned to us as the glóm deepened. He cleared an area of dead grass. He seemed to be as ill at ease as I was. Occasionally he would glance to the dead elm.


“I suspect, like I, he did not want to go near the tree. Else he would have used the wood from the elm for the fire. Be it spell or creature, the elm harboured something. Whatever it may be, it could not be as powerful as Taliesin.


“Before the King lit the fire, Four-Eyes came toward us. The King reached for some venison. ‘You wish your reward, now, Four-Eyes.’ Four-Eyes stopped a length from the King.


“‘My brother,’ Four-Eyes spoke, ‘you and your knight are in great danger.’ We stared at the hound, with shock and disbelief.


“‘A terrible creature does live in the hollow of the tree. As darkness settles and with our presence, it is starting to stir. You must leave at once. It is, as you suspected. This creature has scared life away, from here.’


“‘Then we must leave immediately,’ the King said. “Gather your brothers and we shall leave this forsaken place. And return with Taliesin.’ The King rose.


“‘No, we will stay so you can escape.’


“‘No! I will not leave you here alone to face possible death. I will stand by you.’


“Suddenly there was a crack of wood. The horses let out a terrified whinny and bolted. ‘Please, brother, do as I ask. You must escape and return. There is nothing you can do, against this beast save one thing. We will give you that chance to return to your abode and get help. We will give you that chance.’


“The King reached down to Four-Eyes. ‘I cannot,’ he said softly.


“‘You must.’ There was another crack of wood. ‘It stirs. Soon it will be revealed. Please, brother, do as I tell you. Listen to me and do as I say.’


“‘What do you say?’”


“‘You must begin to run. I will lick the bottom of your and your knight’s boots. You will be able to travel as we hounds do. With the speed of wind at your back. Go straight east from here. Do not look back. If it goes well, I shall see you again.’


“The King wept but did as the hound said. Four-Eyes licked the soles of our boots. We leapt to our feet and sped into the darkness. Leaving everything behind.


“As we ran, we heard a terrible howl. A wóma. It made my blood run coldly through me. Then there was growling of the hounds. Then sounds of their attack. We ran, not looking back. We left the desolate weald and entered the forest. Following trails made so long ago.


“We ran through the forest all night, as the main moon crossed the sky. The moon cast its silvery light on our path. We ran like hounds through the forest. As we ran, we could not talk for we needed all our breath.


“I was amazed that we could run so fast and effortlessly. Maybe the rumours of Four-Eyes were true, I thought to myself as we ran. That was all we had, our thoughts and worries. Leaving the hounds to take care of the wearg.


“The horizon started to glow with bright colours as the sun began to rise. We reached a clearing. King Gwefldn stopped. ‘We must rest for a second or so, Tryffin. Else our hearts will burst.’


“We stopped in the clearing, to catch our breath, King Gwefldn put his hand on my shoulder.


“‘We cannot do this, Tryffin. We run as if we are dobbins. This is not right!’


“Before I could answer, Four-Eyes came into the clearing. The King let out a cry of joy. ‘All has gone well!’


“Four-Eyes looked at the King, mournfully. ‘No, my brother, Quick-Ears is dead.’ My heart fell, remembering the hound from night before. ‘We were able to hold the creature, for a while. But it is now your trail.’


“‘Then you must join us, in the run,’ the King said strongly.


“‘No, brother. The three of us will try to stop it while you run.’


“‘But you will surely die.’


“Four-Eyes looked back down the trail. ‘You must run. The creature is near. Head south, brother. Run with the wind.’


“Once again, Four-Eyes licked the soles of our boots before bounding back into the forest. King Gwefldn looked at me, tears in his eyes. ‘I do not wish to do so but we must do as she says.’ Once again, we ran. And as before, we heard the awful wóma and the attack of the hounds. We did not look back.


“All through the morning, we ran. Our breath started to grow ragged, our chests burned with fire. Our throats parched. When the sun was high in the sky, we stopped once again. By now, our strength and resolve were waning. And the warmth of the morning sun drained us.


“As before, the little hound came to us. ‘My brother, Sure-Foot is dead. It does not go well for us. The creature now has taken to the trees. It leaps from tree top to tree top. My brother and I will hide here and try to bring it down.’


“‘You must come with us. Together, we can out run the creature!’”


“‘No. With our attacks, we have slowed down the creature and wounded it. Otherwise it would have been upon you earlier.’ Four-Eyes looked at us.


“‘One more thing, when you need strength, stop and drink at any pool of water along the path. Do as we hounds do. Step into the pool and muddy it before drinking. It is our secret for gaining strength from water. Do as we do.’ And once again the hound went back into the forest.


“As we started to run, we heard the dreadful howl of the beast behind us, high in the trees. We heard the growl of the two remaining hounds. There was a crash and the sound of a large body hitting the ground. But we did not look back.


“When we came upon a pool of water, we stopped and did as Four-Eyes told us. As we drank of the water, we felt our strength return to our limbs. We resumed our run.


“When the sun was just a hand’s width in the sky, we had to stop. Our legs were growing weary again. We stopped by a pool of water, to restore our draining strength.


“‘We are not far from home, Tryffin. I recognize these woods. This bodes well.’”


“‘We will have new names after our run, sire. They will call you Gwefldn the Déornód.’


King Gwefldn smiled. ‘And what will they call you?’ But the smile grew to tears.


“Four-Eyes returned to us. She looked as tired as us. And she had many wounds. ‘My brother, Long-Tooth is dead.’ The hound said wearily. King Gwefldn quietly wept.


“‘Weep not, my brother. All is not lost. You are close to home. And it dare not attack your stronghold. When you return, then Taliesin can give pursuit to the beast for it is away from its sanctuary.


“‘I will try to hold it for your final sprint to safety. But do not fear, it feeds on that. For we do not fear this creature and our love for you has strengthen us. You have always honoured and respected us. Our sacrifice honours you now in return.


“‘Do not weep for me. If I fight well enough, the creature may be so weak that it will go away and never return. Now run. Or our sacrifice will be for naught.’ We stood up and ran.


Tears filled King Gwefldn’s eyes, as did mine. We summoned all our flagging strength. A terrible howl filled the air, once again. And Four-Eyes attacked. It was then I ... then I ... looked back.” The old man stopped. Tears started once again down his cheeks.


“It had long arms. It’s eyes were like fire pits. There was a gleam from the sharp teeth in its mouth and claws which looked like lances. I looked at it. Fear filled me and it let out a wóma of triumph. Four-Eyes jumped at the horrible creature. It was then ... it was then ... I ran in fear. Ran away from the creature and the King.” The old man stopped. He could not say any more. The shame he felt was overwhelming. What he had done was áfÿlan. Silence, save the crackling of the flames, filled the room.


From the front row, Bilewit could see the shame in the old man. Quietly, he rose from his table. Taliesin, from his darkness, watched in surprise. But he did not dare try to stop the warrior. Bilewit gently put his hand on the old man’s shoulder.


“Continue your tale, Tryffin,” he said softly. “You must finish it.”


“But I cannot.” the old man said, in a broken voice. “I deserted the King. I should not have started my tale. The shame, the shame. The áfÿlan.”


“We have all done shameful things, in our lives, Tryffin. Even I.” The tears stopped flowing. Bilewit thought he saw a ghost of a smile.


“If this was so shameful, you must have redeemed yourself. Else the King would not have held you in such high regard. Would he have kept such a wearg in his council? Could it be that only you see the shame?”


Taliesin smiled. He looked at the old and young warriors at the emhnae. It was time for the old warrior to shed what weighted him down, for so long, before his journey continued. But he was surprised it was Bilewit who rose to help the old warrior.


The old man finally looked up. “But I deserted the King.”


“Then who bested the creature? Four-Eyes? The creature never reached the stronghold. Only the King. So who bested the creature?”


“No, Four-Eyes perished at the hands of the creature, as you all know.” Tryffin’s voice cracked.


“Mayhap, she did before she died or was it the King bested the beast?”


The old man took a deep breath. A light, which had been long extinguished, shone in his eyes. They shone as if they had ælf-scíene, the shine of the elves.


“You are right. I must finish my tale.”


Bilewit smiled and started back to his seat.


“No, Bilewit, please stay by my side.” Bilewit stopped.


“You are right.” The old man looked at the assembled group as he spoke. “I ran into the forest, filled with fear. And then stumbled and fell. I saw the horrible beast give the death blow to Four-Eyes.


“The hound fell to the ground. Her opened eyes seemed to be staring at me. As the light left her eyes, it was as if she was telling me I was the last chance. I should not let the King die.


“For once the creature was done, it leapt toward the King. Who was calling out to me, confused. As the creature passed me, I could see the many wounds the hounds had inflicted.


“From the ground, I could see the beast advancing toward the King. Toward my sovereign, who was defenceless. Suddenly my heart exploded. The fear I felt was washed away. My love for King Gwefldn filled me.


“I grabbed a sharp stick of ácrind and leapt toward the creature, yelling: ‘Run, sire. Run with the wind.’ The King turned to see what he had not seen. I could see fear in his eyes. I drove the stick into one of the many wounds. The creature let out a mighty cry.


“‘Run, sire. Run to the castle. You must escape.’ As the creature turned to me, the King came toward us.


“‘Fegs!’ I cried. ‘Run!’ I have never sworn before in front of the King and have never since. Be it shock or sense, but the King stopped and ran toward the castle.


“I moved away from the creature. All I had were sticks and stones but I had to keep the creature from following the King.


“The creature swung at me, with a long arm. I jumped away. The arm shattered a tree. It’s fetid breath filled the air. I fought the urge to vomit.


“But I could see that the creature was weakened. But so was I. The beast swung at me again. This time, it hit my left side. I was lifted from my feet and flew into the air. I felt a rib crack. Then I fell to the ground.


“With surprising speed, the creature moved toward me. But I did not let fear come into my heart. I grabbed another stick. With a sudden burst of energy, I leapt forward and drove it into another open wound. It let out a terrible bellow and stumbled back.


“I quickly moved away, grabbing at another stick. The fire in it’s eyes grew. I stumbled back onto the trail. I was near the body of Four-Eyes. I now understood the sacrifice they had made. As the creature came toward me, I resolved to do the hounds honour.


“‘Come and try to kill me! Be you malscrung or mán, I will defeat you. The hounds have left but a husk.’ I shouted. ‘For you will never get to the King. A man I love dearly.’ The creature stopped as if I had pierced it in the heart. It was then I ran forward, with the sharp stick. Guided by the love I had for King Gwefldn. I sunk the stick deep into a wound in it’s chest. With all my might, I pushed the stick in as far as I could. All I could think of the King and his safety.


“The creature swung at me, to push me away. I flew in the air and fell heavily. Darkness started to fill my mind. As it did, the beast stood there bellowing. It tried to pull the stick out but could not. The wóma was not of triumph or terror but of pain. As I started to fall into the bliss of darkness, I rejoiced in the knowledge I had done this for my King. Just before the darkness claimed me, there was a plaintive wail from the monster. I then heard no more.”


The old man paused. “As many of you will remember, you found me, beside Four-Eyes. There were large tracks of a kind we did not know of. And there was much blood around. The stick I had pierced the creature with could not be found. Beside Four-Eyes was a fetid piece of flesh she had rendered from the creature. But the creature was not to be found in the area. A short distance from the weald, the tracks disappeared.


“King Gwefldn told us we must ride to the elm. To see if the creature returned to the hollow and at the same time, retrieve the bodies of his hounds. ‘Their bodies cannot be left so the animals of the forest can scatter their bones to the wind.’ He told one of his attendants to escort me home. But as you know, I refused. The King smiled and had a horse brought for me, since our horses had not been sighted yet. Before we left, he tended to my wounds.


“With the speed of wind, we sped through the forest. At each point where we had stopped, we found a fallen hound. Gently and reverently, each hound was picked up. Many wounds covered the hounds, showing the battle they had been in. Many marvelled that they had lived long enough to gain so many wounds.


“Even though the King and I were exhausted from our run, we had to move forward. We spurred our horses and rode like the wind. Every stop, he and I would take a drink of water, to strength us. I remember many of you looking at us, confused when we muddied the water when we wished to drink.


“The forest opened up to the clearing. We galloped across, to the dead elm. If the creature had returned, we would fight it. At it’s place of slumber. With all the might of his warriors, the beast could not survive. We would remove the sceadu from the land.


“But as you know, we found the elm to be empty. The creature had not returned to the hollow. Where it had gone, no one knows. It had been said, it returned to it’s masters. And not to return, to plague the land.


“King Gwefldn ordered that the elm be uprooted and burnt. And in the place of the dead tree, he buried the four, faithful hounds. No, three. I asked the King that I place Quick-Ears into the ground. With burning tears, I gently lowered him into the ground. And soon, life came back to the forest. Thus ends my tale.” The old man grew silent.


“But it doesn’t end there,” Bilewit said softly. Taliesin stared, shocked by the young warrior. He slowly shook his head. He had always underestimated the young whelp. One of the few that he never full understood. Even with all his powers, there were times he didn’t have the sight King possessed. Ah, yes, Zargash was right. Gwefldn would have made a mighty druid.


The old man looked at Bilewit, confused. “My tale goes no further. Once we buried the hounds, we returned to the castle. There is no more to the tale.”


“But you carried your shame, did you not?” Bilewit asked, like a father to a son.


“That was for me to bear. The King knew nothing of my failing. I could never tell him of my weakness, that moment.”


“But he knew,” the sonorous voice of Taliesin filled the room. All eyes turned to him, save Bilewit. He kept his gaze on the old man.


Taliesin rose from the darkness of his chair. “You are right that he thought you ran to give him time to escape. At first. But as you seemed to grow bitter with a poison, he knew there was something bothering you.


“He suspected your flight was because of fear.” Bilewit said. Taliesin stood, in the light of the fire, surprised. Bilewit laughed at the druid.


“You were not the only ears he would bend, Taliesin. I’ve known of this for many a cycle. He could not determine the reason for the burden Tryffin carried. One night, over ale, we talked. And the only thing we could discern was something happened that time. I know how King Gwefldn agonized on how to lift the burden from Tryffin’s shoulders.”


“He knew?” the old man asked in a small voice.


“He suspected,” Bilewit replied softly. “Would not any man have fear, seeing what you and he had seen? He told me of the terror he felt when he first laid eyes on the beast. But concern for you kept him from fleeing.”


“I never knew.”


“He had hoped, with time, you would remember what sacrifice you made and not dwell on a small failing. Forget the brief moments where fear ruled you. But you seemed to be consumed by it. It caused him great pain to see you in such torment but he knew only you could release yourself from the blame you’ve placed on yourself.”


Bilewit paused. “He reminded me, of a time, so long ago, as he sat on a bench and I walked away. He said to me: ‘Beware the heart for it can be an anchor. It can weigh you down and you do not know where to turn.’”


The old man looked at Bilewit. “I thought he would never forgive me is he found out.”


Bilewit slowly shook his head. “He forgave you a long time ago. Long ago.”


Tryffin ab Halwn released the emhnae. He looked about those who were assembled in the room. He straightened his hunched figure.


“So my tales does come to an end.” The flames in the brazier vigorously leapt into the air as Tryffin walked unburdened back to his seat. A good omen, many gathered said to themselves. A very good omen, indeed.



© 2008 Loekie


Author's Note

Loekie
These stories are still a work in progress, I am looking for everything - grammar, POV problems, plotting issues. Please note, spelling is Canadian not American so don't point the differences. Hit me with your best shot!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Such immense writing as this swims in a ocean by itself and survives even among the toughest of elements.

Posted 12 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

TLK

11 Years Ago

Your review does not make it clear that you have actually read the story.
Raven Starhawk

11 Years Ago

I have. ^^* Your characters have unique names. Bilewit and Taliesin interact together in a believ.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

382 Views
1 Review
Added on February 5, 2008


Author

Loekie
Loekie

Montreal, Canada



About
Growing up, I never saw myself as a storyteller. But looking back, I see the seeds. I would build complex models with my Lego or Mecano, each with a story to tell. When I played with my Tonkas, Dinkey.. more..

Writing
Drawn Drawn

A Story by Loekie