The Lighthouse

The Lighthouse

A Story by Italo Ferrante
"

From childhood to adulthood: the unavoidable passing of time.

"
THE LIGHTHOUSE

Two children slammed the door vigorously. Their breaths grew heavier and more distinguished as they both hurried away. The rustle of leaves caressed their bare feet. The boisterous wind sighed upon their chubby cheeks . They ran on aimlessly like two arrows speeding towards no target. The land was their thriving colony. Nothing could thwart their expedition. There were neither frets nor disquietude in their fast-beating hearts. Acres of uncharted soil stood before them. Ounces of vital sap were ready to be sipped by their swollen throngs. There they were. Two children at the climax of their revelation. A lively boy and a bold girl made a balanced pair. She sang along with the chirping birds like a spellbinding mermaid. Thoughtless and joyful, she dictated the flowing rhythm of their rush. In return, he whistled a sing-song, a brand new tune to follow their duetto . Their bodies flourished at the same time and according to the same beat. They had set no destination. Only persistent wanderlust and delightful symphonies were to guide them. The thick hedge punctuated the lush vegetation they were going through. So they went on to crawl through damp weeds. They kept stumbling over fallen boughs as they tried to spot bright flowers to pick as tokens of their young love.
Then, they gazed at the approaching of dusk. The bleeding sun was going to drown itself in the encroaching waves. The whisper of the sea eventually found its way in the maze Daedalus had created in their ears. The cold air oozed saltiness. The gulls spread their wings and lost themselves in the depths of the cloudless sky. Their steps were in unison with the lithe swells dancing upon the sand hills. Their eyes finally gazed at the shoreline rocks, hidden under a veil of spumy foam. The sun was bathing, yet it was afraid to dive in. That semisphere radiated dim light which barely illuminated their growing bodies. Their song gradually lost tune, became low in volume and almost as imperceptible as a murmur. Still, they pursed their lips.

Time passed. The fiery sun had been put out by the dark water. Stars started pulsing in the nighttime beat. They called out for the dead calm. The ball was already over. Only few indefatigable dancers still beat upon the sand.

The only light came from the Lighthouse. It shed some artificial ilumination on their ageing body. Their youthful hymn was no longer audible. Minutes would run away from their short lives. Weeks. Fortnights. Months. Years . They would flow and eventually fade, washed away in oblivion.

Thus the Lighthouse cast the last rays of light on their departing boat. Childhood still lingered in the horizon until it eventually dissolved. They sailed away.

© 2017 Italo Ferrante


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on July 29, 2017
Last Updated on July 29, 2017

Author

Italo Ferrante
Italo Ferrante

Italy



About
Budding writer, ambitious reader and contemplative thinker. Interested in: English Literature; Creative Writing; Visual Arts. Loves: The soothing musicality of the English language; Reading.. more..

Writing
Rain Rain

A Poem by Italo Ferrante