Debris

Debris

A Story by Abdullah Abu Snaineh

For the last 13 hours I've been worried by the news of the disappearance of a force fellow. He was on a patrol on the northern highway on his own. I work on the same highway without a partner too.

 

It was a day off for me but it was the worst day one could have. It began with my wife leaving me taking our only child with her and to add fuel to the fire we received the news of the disappearance of a fellow officer.

 

We lost contact with him at 16:00 when he sent a call to the units telling us that he was following a suspicious vehicle. His worried-insecure tone was ominous. I only listened to a recording of the call.

 

Despite it was my day off, I went searching for him. I thought it could also make me forget about my domestic troubles for a while.

 

I drove back and forth looking for a lead to find the officer. While I was searching I saw a red 92 Ford Bronco recklessly driving. I drove carefully right behind it and honked twice to make the driver stop the car but the driver apparently didn't hear. So I flashed the headlights so the driver would notice and it worked. The driver pulled over to the side of the road. I stepped out of my car with a hand on my holster. When I reached the Ford I ordered the driver to step down. He was a white male in his late twenties and he was deaf. He peacefully stepped out of his car and pointed to the backseat of the Ford. I looked in there and saw a woman suffering the pain of labor. We had to move the woman to the nearest hospital very quickly. The man looked too weary to drive so we moved the woman to my car and drove to the nearest hospital.

 

I silently accompanied the husband and his wife to the maternity ward in the hospital and went back to my car immediately. I was tired and sleepy. I opened the door to find three whiskey bottles on the passenger seat! I wondered where they came from but I was too drowsy so my head tilted to the left and my eyes involuntarily closed. I don't know if I slept or not but I clearly heard the force calling to all units, "Attention! Attention! To all units on the northern highway! We have found the missing officer in a fatal car accident behind the gas station in the valley. The other car is a red 92 Ford Bronco and its driver and a passenger are dead. The driver is a white male in his late twenties and the passenger is his pregnant wife. All units on the northern highway head to the location ASAP!"

 

 

© 2015 Abdullah Abu Snaineh


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed this Flash Fiction. Original and outstanding write. Well done!

Thank you for submitting this to my contest. Sorry it has taken so long to complete, but I have been caught up with other matters and have just returned to the cafe!

Kind regards,

Helena

Posted 8 Years Ago


nice little story and a great twist. I enjoyed the read, Abdullah.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I will read it later but i know it will be amazing piece

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 26, 2015
Last Updated on April 26, 2015