Chapter Two: Dreams of Fairy Tales

Chapter Two: Dreams of Fairy Tales

A Chapter by Nikki Richardson

            After I had the pleasure of meeting Derek, the music started.  I was a bit surprised at the suddenness of the music, but I didn't mind at all because he smiled and held out a hand.  I smiled in return as I took his hand and he led me to the floor. 

 

Not many people were dancing because most of them were family, but the older couples with kids were on the floor along with the young children who were mocking their parents.  I laughed as I saw Derek's friend dancing with Katherine.  She looked like she was in pain, and that seemed amusing to me because she always made sure that I never had a moment’s happiness when she was near.

 

            Derek and I flowed together as the music floated on the warm air around us.  It was a lovely dance that I thoroughly enjoyed.  He was a complete gentleman towards me during the length of our dance. 

 

As a breeze floated through the room, I noticed his cologne for the first time.  It smelled sweet yet masculine.  Whatever the fragrance was, it suited him well.  I wondered for a moment as he spun me around the room, if the bit of perfume that Rosaline dabbed on the crook of my neck floated on the air as well as his cologne.

 

            His forest colored eyes stared into mine for a moment as if he was lost.  For a long while I was lost in the beautiful yet mysterious moment we seemed to share.  The music ended too quickly for my taste.  We clapped our encouragements to the orchestra.  I stole a quick glance at his chiseled features, and I wanted to continue dancing with him for the rest of the night.  There was something in my head telling me that Derek Granger was not all that he seemed, but I couldn't help but to wonder about this beautiful boy who noticed me.

 

            "This is a lovely party," Katherine stated as she walked up to Derek and me.  Jeremy tagged along by her side, and I couldn't hold back a giggle at how similar to a puppy he seemed.

 

"Thank you, dear cousin.  It means the world to me that you are enjoying my party," I said in a tone that lacked all traces of sincerity.  I could have cared less on the matter of whether she showed up to the party.  I never cared for people who often thought they were much better than they are and turned their terrible thoughts into the actions of others’ lives.

 

"This is Jeremy Bristol," she said as she turned to him.  His face turned a bright red as he blushed madly at the introduction.  I could not decide whether he blushed because he was shy, or if it was because he genuinely felt affection towards Katherine.

 

"Hello Jeremy,” I returned politely, “I just had the pleasure of meeting your parents and your friend Derek."  I could have sworn I saw a flicker of confusion cross his blushing features, but as quickly as I noticed it, it was gone.  I couldn’t help wondering about the confused countenance that crossed his soft features.  Did he really know Derek, or was there a puzzle piece missing from the puzzling mystery of Derek Granger.

 

"Ah, yes.  They are good people indeed, and there is none finer than Derek here," he complimented.

 

"Well, if you all will excuse me,” I said abruptly yet politely, “I have other guests to attend to."  I looked towards Derek's chiseled features one last time to see a smile that could be second to no other as I withdrew from the crowd.

 

            I walked towards another small group of people.  An older couple was standing talking to a girl my age and Mr. Bristol.  Mr. Bristol just told a joke that I had the misfortune of missing.  I smile graciously at the older couple, whom I recognized as my father’s brother and wife.

 

            “Happy birthday my dear, Rhiannon,” my aunt sang happily as she hugged me. 

 

“Yes, happy eighteenth, niece,” my uncle stated.  “Thank you for inviting us to this lovely celebration.”

 

“Thank you for attending, Uncle and Aunt,” I replied politely.  I embraced them both before I turned to the girl.  I smiled brightly at their daughter, Jane�"she just turned seventeen.  Jane was by far my favorite cousin because she was so entirely sweet. 

 

“Happy Birthday,” she whispered in my ear.  I nodded a thank you as the music began to play again.

 

            I embraced my cousin Jane as her brother, Jack, made his way into the circle.  He grabbed my hand and introduced me quickly to the three friends he was allowed to invite.  After the introductions were made, he hurried away to dance with another of our distant cousins.  He seemed to be enjoying himself. 

 

I danced with Jack's friends, although none of them really stood out to me before I began to make my way around the room to thank my guests for coming to celebrate with my family.  After an hour or two of greeting my guests, I was finally finished with thanking them for attending.  I turned to find the lovely yet mysterious stranger that struck such an impression on my senses.  I scanned the room several times, but he was nowhere to be found. 

 

            I turned back to the last conversation that I was having with one of Jack's friends named Benjamin.  He wasn’t very tall, maybe about 5’8, his grey eyes seemed to swirl like the grey storm clouds.  His sandy blond hair was ruffled with messy curls.  I liked his shy smile.  He was probably the only one of Jack’s friends that did stand out to me. 

 

He noticed that I was not heading back to the dance floor.  He also saw that there was no one trying to spark a conversation with me.  So, to save me from my own boredom with the occasion, he politely asked me to dance and I accepted. 

 

"This will be the last song of the night because it is almost midnight," the orchestrator announced. 

 

"This was nice.  Thank you for allowing Jack to invite me," Benjamin said politely as we swayed gently to the music.  Our movements didn't quite flow together as the music moved Derek and me, but it was alright for the moment.  I stopped paying attention as I lost myself in my thoughts until Benjamin jumped slightly.  We both looked over to see Derek standing beside us. 

 

"May I cut in," he asked politely as he stared into my eyes.  Benjamin nodded in a way that seemed like he really didn't want to, but he was being forced to.

 

"I guess that's a yes," I smiled as I let go of Benjamin.  He reluctantly released me and Derek wrapped his arms around me.  We began to dance slowly to the song.

 

"My curfew is at midnight, so I think I'm going to be late," he whispered as we flowed gently.

 

"You probably are," I laughed quietly, “But I hope it’s not too much trouble.”

 

“Me too,” he agreed with a beautiful smile.

 

            The soft slow music seemed to stop, as everything in the room but Derek and I disappeared.  It was a beautiful fairy tale setting, and I wondered how something like this could be real.  The clock struck the hour signaling that midnight had arrived.  Derek jumped, slightly startled, by the loud grandfather clock.  "I must go," he said in an anxious tone.

 

"Too bad," I said with a sad smile.

 

"Send me an invite to your next ball," he whispered before releasing me and leaving quickly.  Reality set in, and I felt somewhat lost.  I wanted nothing more than to grab his arm and make him stay with me, but I couldn’t bring myself to stop him. 

 

My other friends and family began to file out of the house as well.  Soon, the house was empty, and there was nothing left to do besides clean.  Things in my head just seemed to be hazy, but there was nothing I could do about it.

 

            I tried to help my mother and sisters clean a bit while clearing my head before I went upstairs to change into my night gown.  I lay in my bed with thoughts of fairy princesses swirling through my mind.  I shut my eyes, and dreams of a wonderful man named Derek Granger floated along the backs of my eyelids as sleep took over my body.



© 2013 Nikki Richardson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

273 Views
Added on September 19, 2013
Last Updated on September 19, 2013
Tags: ball number one, over, sleep, dreams, demon, magic, spell, trickery, humans, birthday, october


Author

Nikki Richardson
Nikki Richardson

Great Falls, SC



About
The only place I have ever felt at home is behind a pen. I write because there is so much inside my soul that needs to come out. No one has told the story I’m looking for yet, so I might as we.. more..

Writing