Time

Time

A Poem by Lydia Shutter
"

Seems the minutes agically turn to hours and then days...and they do it faster as I get older!

"


The mysteries of life
have deepened and widened through the years.
They’ve left me with open ended questions - -
and a time account in arrears.

My time I try to budget
fighting tasks with saber and sharpened sword
yet seconds fall into step with minutes
to create a formidable horde.

They slip through my outstretched fingers
poised to jump when my head is turned.
By the time I crawl neath the covers each night
twenty four hours have burned.

Time is what I long for most.
It’s what I cherish and adore.
Buy me some, won’t you please?
My dear, I do need so much more!

Bejeweled minutes to hang from my ears,
for each finger a sparkling second
perhaps an hour to grace my navel
or even a dazzling day I reckon.

What will old Cronos think
when he espies me so gloriously bedecked?
Please forgive me Father Time
I mean no disrespect.

I don’t know if anyone has told you
perhaps you’re just not aware
but limiting a day to just twenty four hours
well, Cronos, that just aint fair!



© 2013 Lydia Shutter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

How very blooming true these words are, tis just as well they are carefully wrapped in such good humour, otherwise just drawing attention to our own mortality and the fact we are all slaves to time, might have wiped the smile from my face... you have such a way with words Lydi**.. not just a poet.. a damn good poet... oh' by the way.. you got ya cronos.. I once stepped out with a lass called Anna Logg.. honest, even got meself laughing all over again.... N :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

5 Years Ago

Anna Logg.....you are a hoot! Thank you so much, my friend. Lydi**
Neville

5 Years Ago

Her parents had a sense of humour.. she didn't I'm afraid.... :)



Reviews

An awesome poem. It sure does feel it is slipping from our grips, it is fading fast, it cares not to last. Perspectives change when we grow older indeed. Priorities change when we flip the folder.
Wowzy woooo......

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

1 Year Ago

WOW, Sami....a poem from 10 years ago reviewed by you! I am honored! Thank you so much!
Sami Khalil

1 Year Ago

Wow! You are welcome and honored.
I really liked this. Everyone can relate to not having enough hours in the day and this poem captures the idea splendidly. Great job!
(I realize this is an older poem, so you may not care, but there is a small typo in the description. Sorry to be rude I just wanted to let you know)

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

3 Years Ago

Yes, I know there is a typo in the description....I never bothered to fix it since it is not in the .. read more
How very blooming true these words are, tis just as well they are carefully wrapped in such good humour, otherwise just drawing attention to our own mortality and the fact we are all slaves to time, might have wiped the smile from my face... you have such a way with words Lydi**.. not just a poet.. a damn good poet... oh' by the way.. you got ya cronos.. I once stepped out with a lass called Anna Logg.. honest, even got meself laughing all over again.... N :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

5 Years Ago

Anna Logg.....you are a hoot! Thank you so much, my friend. Lydi**
Neville

5 Years Ago

Her parents had a sense of humour.. she didn't I'm afraid.... :)
How true this write is, and the older one gets, the faster time seems to fly by. Nice write. Valentine

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Kathie. Lydi**
Lyrically and metaphorically lovely.
A light but instructive portrayal of the movement of time--more accurately, how we humans perceive that movement.
Intriguing read, Lydi!


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

8 Years Ago

How wonderful you went back a few years to find this one, Jimmy! I really appreciate this. Lydi**
Well .... WOW to me also Ms Lydia . Cronos owed you and us an apology . This is a marvelous time piece. Its like you went back in time and rewrite poetry the way it should be done in the first place. We are time driven and time conscious people and that's how we have been conditioned to operate . I like your idea here Its like Father Time is so bias with us that he only limit 24 hours in a given day . I hear you it sounds unfair and then we have to rush trying to cram all our activities and agendas within its restricted constituents . Each paragraph 4th stanza are so cleverly expressed in a hilarious way. Its like it wants to file a grievance for a misappropriated distribution of time . Can I get an amen ? If not we are going to have a prayer meeting . I am so glad I checked your work I would have missed this craft . Ms Lydia ... I will take off my hat for this cleverly created craft . You have a classy sense of humor. I will have to come back and find the right words ..


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

10 Years Ago

Yes, we need to file that grievance, absolutely! :) I am honored by your wonderful review and the .. read more
Wow, what a great write you written on time. Such a deep write you write with deep words. It's a realistic piece you made by yourself. Great job once again.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lydia Shutter

10 Years Ago

Thank you. lydi**
I feel like i have no words to say
cause the poem is soooo amazing !

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lydia Shutter

10 Years Ago

You are a sweetheart. Thank you. Lydi*
Nermeen

10 Years Ago

always welcome !
I couldn't agree with you more, Lydi. And your poetry is endearing and lovely, as always! Here's hoping you can squeeze many more such poems into the years ahead. Joyce

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Joyce...and may you be around to read them! :)
Meditate to step out of time and open self to a world beyond. You beautifully created a timeless piece as I recalled a moment when I felt overwhelmed and learned how to cope. Splendid read and write, Lydia.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for this in depth comment, Brandon. Lydi*
Brandon S. Whitten

10 Years Ago

My pleasure, Lydia

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

583 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 20, 2013
Last Updated on July 20, 2013
Tags: life, coping, time


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..