Mrs Bakin

Mrs Bakin

A Story by MrWhistling
"

A tale of a broken man

"

                                                      Mrs Bakin

 

“Knock, knock.” I get up from my seat at the kitchen table, muttering to myself and shuffled past the store room, the garage entrance and my collectible ‘build it yourself’ miniature house and got to the door. As I opened it the sweet, warm smell of French toast with syrup rushed out of the house, and let in the cold, sweet, fresh air.

“Hello, my dears!” I crooned. The two police officers at the door looked up at me.

“Ummm…” The first police officer said. The second Police Officer wacked the first Officer in the stomach and extended his hand.

“How do you do, Mrs Elizabeth Bakin.”

“Wonderful, dearie! Now that I have some company!”

They were wearing each wearing clean, deep blue uniforms with polished silver badges that glinted in the early morning light and ocean blue tall caps with the nearest police department logo standing proud and tall on the front.

 

 “Oh, come in, my dears! You must be freezing! Would you like a cup of tea? “

“That would be lovely, thanks!” Said the second Officer.

I turned around and heading back into the warm, syrupy smelling cave that I call my home. As I led them toward my kitchen table I heard them whisper to each other. I stroked my long, blonde wiry beard and adjusted my long, flower plaid dress and made sure my hair bun was nice and neat. Would you like Camomile or whatever the ordinary tea is called, or both together? I recommend both together.”

“Oh, I’ll just have the ordinary tea, thanks.” Said the second police officer. The first Police Officer seemed nervous. He shuffled his feet.

“Don’t be shy, dearie. Which tea do you want?”

“Oh, um, I’ll have the, um, Camomile please.” He stammered.

“We’ve heard good things about the two of you.” Said the second Police Officer, as they sat down.

“Oh yes. We’re a cheery couple. We’ve had our problems, but we’ve always worked them out.”

“Do you think you could go and get your husband?” Asked the second Police Officer.

“Of course.” I smile at them and went around the corner o  the house to were my bed is and started getting changed. I untied my bund and let my hair hang loose, I put on my favourite sky-blue beanie that has taken a much dirtier shade due to years of being drenched in dirt and bugs. I made sure my circular spectacles were straight on my face and took off my dress. I pulled on some grey cargo pants and put a grey t-shirt with a picture of a tree on it that had faded throughout the years to an outline. I wrapped myself in a thick, wool jumper and replaced my red toe-shoes with sand coloured work boots. I headed back out into the kitchen.

 

“Hello!” I said as I went up to the police officers to shake their hands. The second Police officer took my hand with a warm smile and a,

“How do you do, Mr Bakin.” I returned the gesture with a smile that I felt I tried too hard to seem warm. I went to shake the first Police Officers hand but he didn’t extend his hand. He was too busy looking at me with a confused expression. I reached out and shook his hand as it hung at his side. I took the kettle of the stand and poured the boiling water into three cups. I placed an ordinary tea bag in one cup of water, Camomile in the other and put one of each in my cup. I picked up the cups by their handles and took them over to the Police Officers. They each nodded in thanks. I went back over to the kitchen bench.

“Would you like some French toast and syrup? My wife makes it herself, she makes the best French Toast I ever had” I asked.

“No thanks.” Said the second Police Officer. The first just shook his head, still staring at me with a confused expression.

“Are you sure? Out here we only receive supplies every couple years, so they only give enough of things that go off quickly to last a few days. It’s literally a once in a couple years opportunity.

“Were good.” Said the second Police officer. “So, as you and your wife must have guessed, were not here for socializing. We just have a couple questions to ask you.”

“Yeah, we thought as much, after all if you wanted to socialize you wouldn’t have come to the only place in North America with a population less than seven. So, what would you like to ask us?”

“Yesterday a middle aged woman named Elizabeth Oliver was found dead 150 km west from here, and you’re the closest neighbour.” Said the second Police Officer

“Oh dear! I knew I felt something terrible happen on the wind.” I said, glumly. I put my head in my hands and wept.

“Did you know her?” The second Police officer asked.

“No, but all life is truly, wonderfully beautiful. It is an accursed thing when it is lost.”

“Agreed, do you know anything about what might have happened?” Said the second Police Officer.

“I so sorry, but I have no idea. So sorry to not be able to help.”

“It’s okay, thank you for your time.” Said the second Police Officer. They got up to leave. As they made their way to the door the first Police Officer got up the courage to speak.

“Thanks for the tea.” He said. He turned back toward the depths of the house, and saw Mrs Bakin standing right behind them.

“Leaving already?” I moaned.

“Sorry, but we have to go and ask the other people in the area. Thanks for your kindness, I don’t think you had anything to do with the disappearance.

“Thank you dear, but I insist that you take a thermos of hot tea each, its freezing out there!” with that I handed them each a thermos of their preferred hot teas and let them go on their way. Once I couldn’t hear their cars engine anymore I stepped out the front door of my small shack and wondered over to the edge of the cliff that my dwelling is planted on and sat down with my legs hanging over the edge. And reached my hand so far out into the abyss of the open air until I felt her cold hand in mine. “Oh, my sweet, sweet child, if only the world could have seen you for how special I knew you were.” With that, I took the ring of my swollen, callused finger and pressed it into her hand. “Take this, it is my heart, my only request is that you keep it forever.”

 

© 2017 MrWhistling


Author's Note

MrWhistling
I like this story, i hope you do to

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
Added on November 16, 2017
Last Updated on November 16, 2017
Tags: man, sad, funny, interesting, beautiful

Author

MrWhistling
MrWhistling

Brisbane, Taringa, Australia