Modern Fairytale-Repunzel

Modern Fairytale-Repunzel

A Story by Machel
"

A modern fairytale of Rapunzel, in this version Repunzel lives in Toronto and the old 'witch' locked her up in the CN Tower. What happens when the witch is seen by a security gaurd?

"

    Modern Fairy Tale

            Repunzel

 

  Twenty years ago, a woman who was with child was craving some pie. The woman’s faithful husband went out to buy some, but the traffic was far too bad in the streets of Toronto, just for some apple pie. Feeling horrible about his luck, the husband smelt something wonderful coming from the neighbors’ house. It was an apple pie, fresh out of the oven. The husband rushed to the window, and grabbed it. Right when he was about to turn and leave an old woman who resembled a witch, took him by the wrist and said “You dared to steal from me! Now you must grant me the child your wife bares.” With that she pushed him away.

 

 When the husband told his wife what had happened, she burst into tears. Well, she cried until her husband got out the pie. After that, she didn’t really care.

 

 A few months later the child was born. It was a little baby girl named Repunzel, named after the princess in the fairy tale, Rapunzel. After a few years, when Repunzel was ten, the witch came and took Repunzel away.

 

 The witch decided to keep the child away from the world, and from every one in it. She took Repunzel to the CN Tower and brought her up to a room in the very top. In the room there was a bed, an old fridge, a table, an old wardrobe with used clothes, and two little crates to sit on. There was also a window, so far up no one ever noticed it .The window had the most breathtaking view of Toronto with all the busy streets and people. As the witch was leaving, she took the ladder that lead to that attic room, so no one could get up except for her when she cried out “Repunzel, Repunzel. Let down your hair.” You see, Repunzel had the longest golden colored hair. She could probably beat the World Record if the witch would tell people about her.

 

 Every other day, the witch would come and yell “Repunzel, Repunzel. Let down your hair,” and Repunzel would. Up, the witch would climb, causing great pain to the poor girl. When the witch was in the attic, she would tell Repunzel what a horrible place the world was, filled with darkness and monsters. Sometimes the witch would be there for only five minutes, sometimes for three hours. No matter what, the witch made sure to leave before the CN Tower closed so she wouldn’t get caught by the watchmen.

 

 One day, after Repunzel let the witch up, the witch said nothing, only passed out right there on the floor. The witch did this often with her old age, so Repunzel just dragged the witch over to the bed until she woke up. But that day, the witch woke up much later then usual. The watchmen where already making their rounds but the witch had no chose but to try to escape because she had left one of her delicious apple pies in the oven. She ordered Repunzel to take her hair out, and the witch climbed out, taking great care not to be seen. When the witch reached the bottom, Repunzel pulled up her hair and was about to close the latch when the witch realized she had forgotten her handbag.

 

 “Wait Repunzel, Repunzel! Let your hair down! And hurry!” cried the witch, fearing to be caught. Repunzel let her hair down once more, the witch climbed up, grabbed her handbag and left.

 

 Unfortunately for the witch, she had not noticed the handsome security guard watch her call for Repunzel. The next night, the security called down for Repunzel. Thinking the witch had forgotten something else yesterday, she let down her hair. When the man reached the top, Repunzel nearly screamed. The only man she had ever seen before was her father. The guard calmed her down, and explained what he had seen the night before.

 

 “Yes, the witch keeps me locked up her. I can barely remember what its like outside,” explained Repunzel.

 

 “That’s awful! Perhaps I shall come here the night after tomorrow so the witch won’t see me, then I can bring you rope and you can escape with me,” suggested the security man.

 

 “That is a wonderful idea! Now, you must go or you will be missed doing your rounds,” Repunzel replied.

 

“Very true, goodnight Repunzel,” and with that he climbed down her hair.

 

 The following day, Repunzel let slip to the witch that the security guard had come up to her room.

 

 “Why you stupid girl! I let you live all this time, and this is how you repay me? We shall see about that!” and the witch cut off Repunzel’s hair and sent her out of Toronto.

 

 The next night when the watchman called for Repunzel, the witch let down Repunzel’s hair. When the man reached the top, he was surprised to see the witch’s face.

 

 “You have come to see Repunzel but…” and the witch passed out once more. When she awoke she found herself in jail for abduction and attempted murder. The witch also got the news that Repunzel and the security guard named Eric were engaged and expecting a baby soon.

 

 Repunzel and Eric lived happily ever after. Well, until the baby came but you see my point.

© 2011 Machel


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on June 20, 2011
Last Updated on June 20, 2011

Author

Machel
Machel

London, Canada