Mommy There's My Angel

Mommy There's My Angel

A Story by Margaret Barton-Wahl
"

This an actual event from my teenage years.

"

                                    “MOMMY, THERE’S MY ANGEL”

                  

                          At 14 I was too tall, too thin, too smart and way too depressed. My parents had divorced, and yet their bickering continued.  

                         My only outlet was music. I enjoyed singing in a choir. Performing with a large group aloud me to be a part of something that worked beautifully. ( So unlike my broken home.)

                        Of course the Christmas pageant was the highlight of the choral year. The entire girls choir was dressed in lovely white robes. And I, being the tallest, was the first of the group to enter the auditorium. Followed by the rest and singing, “Oh, Come All Ye Faithful”. The Choir preformed many other standard Christmas songs, finely ending with a touching arrangement of “Silent Night".

                         After the concert,  I left the building, on my way home, alone because my parents had not been in attendance. I’m sure they both had been afraid to come and perhaps run into one another. Well, at least there’d be no bickering along the way. It was just then I heard the sweetest voice, "Mommy there's my angel, mommy there's my angel!"

                         I turned to see the cutest cherub-faced little girl, she was no more than 3 or 4 years of age, running toward me while shouting gleefully, “Mommy, there’s my angel, mommy there’s my angel!” She came up to me and hugged my leg. It was then I realized that she was talking about me. Her mother ran just behind her carrying the baby brother of the darling little girl in her arms. The beleaguered woman hastily apologized and explained; during the concert the little girl had decided that I, in my white robe was, “Her Angel!”

                          That so touched me that it made my teenage angst, self-pity and deep dark depression subside. I felt so very happy just to be alive. And on my long walk home I knew that no matter what else happened in my life I could cope.

                          Then, as I watched her mommy, take the sweet child by the hand and hurry off to daddy waiting in the car, I wondered just which one of us had really been the angel?

 

                            By, Margaret Barton-Wahl

 

© 2014 Margaret Barton-Wahl


Author's Note

Margaret Barton-Wahl
This was the story that set me on the path of being s writer. It was published in Bravehearts magazine the winter of 2005.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a wonderful heart warming story :)
Its those little touches of humanity we get in life that make it worth living *smile* isn't it .
As for me, hmm no angel , I have a strange effect on canines though (and *not* joking at all)
They tend to follow me and abandon their owners ( and what on earth is going on I don't know !)

Thats my little story (hopefully at least endearing :)

~Raven

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

So sweet and full of emotion!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Bravo. You captured something special. There is something extraordinary about the way strangers can give each other joy.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This really tugged at my heart strings. I sat here and read with tears in my eyes. The world needs more angels. Superb penning.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Margaret, your beautiful work has soul touching effect, I just cannot help but to be moved,
the depth is astonishing in this regards, its subtle, realistic and compassionate in nature,
the empathy moves through the readers heart willingly. Your writing carries the features
of timelessness through pure nostalgia flowing from the tip of your pen, this is stunning.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a wonderful heart warming story :)
Its those little touches of humanity we get in life that make it worth living *smile* isn't it .
As for me, hmm no angel , I have a strange effect on canines though (and *not* joking at all)
They tend to follow me and abandon their owners ( and what on earth is going on I don't know !)

Thats my little story (hopefully at least endearing :)

~Raven

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

876 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 21, 2008
Last Updated on January 25, 2014

Author

Margaret Barton-Wahl
Margaret Barton-Wahl

Pasco, WA



About
I was invited here by a friend to whom I often send my work. I am looking forward to posting some of my stories and poetry on this sight. I have had a couple of my stories published in magazines but a.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..