Rip Off!

Rip Off!

A Poem by Margaret Barton-Wahl
"

It is my little poke of fun at the beat poetry of the 60's

"

               Rip Off

 

Nicck-knack Kerouac give the crowd a bone.

Drink your mocha latte with biscotti or a scone.

Beat those bongos daddy to a mellow soothin' tone.

Tryin' to swim in heavy water?

Now you're sinkin' like a stone.

Spoutin dis-conn-ected nonsence

And you'll go home alone.

No originality , no vision or a style of your own.

Just a nasty reputation as a Kerouacin' clone!

© 2009 Margaret Barton-Wahl


Author's Note

Margaret Barton-Wahl
I would like any help with the spelling I can get. However remember that I have purposely dropped the g from all words with the ing suffix for affect.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Since you asked for spelling help "bongoes" should be "bongos" and "origonality" should be "originality," that said I really wouldn't have noticed these spelling errors if you hadn't asked for help. I just liked the poem as is. It worked because of it being written in beat style and I really did enjoy the playfulness of this piece.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Margaret Barton-Wahl

10 Years Ago

Thanks so very much. Spelling is not one of my strong suits. Bright Blessings...~M~



Reviews

I would like to make this abundantly clear..."I am not making fun of Jack Kerouac!" I am making fun of the hundreds of people who tried to imitate him and did it so poorly! One should do more than copy an original thinker one needs to BE an original thinker to pay homage to a Poet of his stature.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is great! I don't know how you could improve it, it looks flawless to me.

Posted 10 Years Ago


ahh!!! I am glad that i bumped into this piece..beat has always been my area of interest..the only problem is that i failed at writing in the genre of geniuses. the piece is pretty witty..or shall i say..passionate..yea..passionate is a little more precise..has also got that touch of 60s to it...
a nice attpemt! sucessful indeed!

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

strokes my goatee, adjusts my oh-so-cool sunglasses, pulls at the neck of my black turtleneck shirt and c***s my beret to one side.... and what was wrong with the beat poets?

Posted 14 Years Ago


I like this.
It's catchy.
Really great write!!
-Elissa

Posted 15 Years Ago


Love it. It really takes the Micky (do you have that phrase where you are or is it British). And how true it all is about that which you speak.
I got a real lift out of the last line. Kerouacin' makes a wonderful expletive; have you, I wonder made a new addition to the world of bad language? Discuss.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Since you asked for spelling help "bongoes" should be "bongos" and "origonality" should be "originality," that said I really wouldn't have noticed these spelling errors if you hadn't asked for help. I just liked the poem as is. It worked because of it being written in beat style and I really did enjoy the playfulness of this piece.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Margaret Barton-Wahl

10 Years Ago

Thanks so very much. Spelling is not one of my strong suits. Bright Blessings...~M~
Love this write. There is so much passion in this piece. I can relate to a particular era but the flow of this poem warrants for more of it. I enjoyed this piece and I will be back to read some more of your fantastic work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Margaret, this is humorous and flows with the beat of the sixies, its truly jive, and carries, the passionate meaning and tone gives the reader a strong impression of what beat poetry is, as such, is capturing with the notion of grove and hip writing that takes the reader back in time, fun and exceptionally colorful.
The abstract quality accentuates the intent nicely. Nickknack* bongos* nonsense* originality* ..effect*

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This brings up some interesting questions about what poetry writing and for that matter art is ...
Rap, popular music lyrics, both forms of poetry (whether you like the content is aesthetics ;) )
Some interesting thoughts , and parody is a good way of bursting pretention ;-)

~Raven


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

764 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 21, 2008
Last Updated on February 24, 2009

Author

Margaret Barton-Wahl
Margaret Barton-Wahl

Pasco, WA



About
I was invited here by a friend to whom I often send my work. I am looking forward to posting some of my stories and poetry on this sight. I have had a couple of my stories published in magazines but a.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..