A Latte Love

A Latte Love

A Stage Play by Guardian Of The Lost

 

 

A Latte Love

 

A Play in One Act

 

by

 

Houston Siracusa

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Characters

 

 

 

    Evie                     A woman in her early twenties.

 

    Tom                         A man in his mid thirties.

 

    Mark                      A man in his early twenties.

 

    Kendra                    A woman in her mid twenties.

 

    James                        A man in his mid twenties.

 

     

 

   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Act I, Scene I

 

SETTING: Coffee shop/Evie’s work.

 

Scene opens with customers sitting at their tables drinking coffee while conversing. Evie, a barista, is cleaning behind the counter while her coworker, Mark, is wiping down the counter. A male customer walks up to the counter to place an order.

 

Tom: Hey, Evie. How are you today?

 

Evie: I’m good, Tom. What can I get ya?

 

Tom: Hmm. That is a good question. (Tom takes a long moment to look at the menu. Evie grows impatient.) I’ll have a medium, half-caf, double shot, cappuccino with two pumps of vanilla, 1 Splenda, light foam, at 130 degrees dusted with cinnamon.

 

Evie: (Staring blankly) Is that all for you, Tom?

 

Tom: (Happily) Yes! Thank you.

 

Evie: (Dry) You’re welcome.

 

          (Tom walks to a nearby table and sits down. Evie gives Mark the order and says)

 

Evie: God. He’s so annoying. Every day with this s**t.

 

Mark: I know. You’d think he would just find a drink and stick with it. What’s his deal?

 

Evie: (Mockingly) Variety is the spice of life. No, Tom. Variety is the bane of my existence. Ugh.

 

Mark: (Laughing) Preach it, girl.

 

          (Two more customers walk in and step up to the counter. Evie knows one of them.)

 

Evie: (Excitedly) Oh my god! Kendra, how are you!?

 

Kendra: (Pleasantly) Hey, Evie. I’m great. How are things with you?

 

Evie: You know. Working at a coffee shop. (Sarcastically) Exciting.

 

Kendra: Haha. I hear ya. Oh! By the way, this is my friend, James.

 

James: (waves nervously at Evie) Hello. Nice to meet you.

 

Evie: Pleasure. So, what can I get you two?

 

Kendra: I’ll have a large hot chocolate. What about you, James? My treat.

 

James: Oh, well that’s awfully nice of you. Let’s see. (James peruses the menu briefly.) You know, let’s keep it simple. I’ll have a quad shot on ice, please.

 

Evie: You got it. That’ll be $6.50.

 

          (Kendra pulls out her wallet from her purse and hands Evie a ten dollar bill. Evie gives Kendra her change.)

 

Evie: It’ll be ready in a few. Sit tight.

 

          (Evie gives the order to Mark. Mark smirks at Evie and says.)

 

Mark: He’s cute, huh?

 

Evie: (Puzzled) Who? (Mark stares at her with a grin then points to James with his eyes.) James!? Well…uh… (Evie starts to blush and chuckles nervously) Sure, I guess.

 

Mark: Oh, come on. He’s cute and you know it. You should go talk to him.

 

Evie: And say what exactly? “Hi, James. I think you’re cute. Wanna go out with me?”

 

Mark: Haha. No, silly. Have you forgotten how to flirt? Has it really been THAT long?

 

Evie: (Stammering) No…Shut…shut up.

 

Mark: Oh, you poor thing. Come give me a hug. (Evie walks over to Mark and hugs him.) It’s OK, sweetheart. At this rate you’ll never find someone unless you start showing off the twins.

 

Evie: Shut up! (She playfully hits Mark. Then pauses and looks over at James) He is pretty cute, huh?

 

Mark: Girl, if I were single, I’d be on him like Hinata on Naruto.

 

Evie: (Laughing) You’re such a dork.

 

          (Mark hands out Tom’s drink and goes back to making Kendra’s and James’.)

 

Mark: James. Kendra. Your order is ready.

 

          (Kendra and James walk over to the pick-up counter and grab their drinks.)

 

Kendra: Thank you. (Walking away from the bar toward the condiment bar.) Have a good one, Evie. See you soon.

 

James: Bye, guys. Thanks again.

 

Evie: Enjoy.

 

          (Kendra and James are at the condiment bar)

 

James:  (While adding sweetener to his espresso.) You’re friend, Evie, is pretty cute. Is she single?

 

Kendra: Haha. Oh, you think so, huh? Well, I don’t know. She might be…

 

James: (Interrupting) Would you mind setting us up?

 

Kendra: I don’t know, James. That stuff doesn’t �"

 

James: Oh come on, Kendra. Just one date.

 

Kendra: I’ll think about it. We should go. We’ve got that meeting soon.

 

James: Right.

 

          (Kendra and James leave the coffee shop. Mark and Evie continue working.)

 

 

 

          (Later that day.)

 

SETTING: Evie’s Apartment.

 

          (Evie picks up her cell phone and calls Kendra. The phone rings 3 times before answered.)

 

Kendra: Hey. What’s up?

 

Evie: Hey, Kendra. Did I catch you at a bad time?

 

Kendra: (Sarcastically) Well, I’m doing my make-up, curling my hair, and trying to get out of here in 5 minutes, but sure, I totally have time to talk.

 

Evie:  Alright. Then I’ll be quick. Set me up with James. He’s really cute and you know�"

 

Kendra: You too!? Ah, man.

 

Evie: What? What do you mean “You too?” (Excited) Wait. Did James say something to you?

 

Kendra: Yeah. He kind of brought it up today after… (Another call comes in.) Hold on Evie. I’m getting another call.

 

Kendra: Hello.

 

James: Hey, Kendra. I was just wondering if you had thought anymore about setting Evie and me----

 

Kendra: For the love of God, James! Ugh! Hold on. (Kendra merges both calls.)

 

Kendra: Alright you two. I’ve got exactly 3 minutes to get out of here for this business dinner and I don’t have time to be dealing with your High School games. James, Evie likes you. Evie, James likes you. I’m gonna hang up now and finish getting ready. Next time I hear from either one of you I expect this nonsense to be over with. Got it?

 

Evie: Alright. Geez.

 

James: Yes, Sergeant Serious.

 

          (Kendra hangs up the phone in frustration.)

 

James: So, do you think she’s mad at us?

 

Evie: Not so much us, but the situation. She’s stressed about work.

 

James: Well, then maybe we should leave her be and go out sometime.

 

Evie: I’d like that, James.

 

James: Great! (Charmingly) I know a nice little coffee shop nearby.

 

Evie: You’re joking.

 

James: Hahaha. Of course. I’ll meet you at Louise’s this Friday at 7. You like Italian food, right?

 

Evie: (Giddy) Love it. See ya then.

 

          (James and Evie hangup. End Scene.)

 

 

Act I, Scene II

 

SETTING: Evie’s Apartment.

 

          (Weeks later. Evie and James hit it off 3 dates later and are hanging out. They’re both sitting on the couch watching TV. James gets a Facebook notification on his phone and checks it.)

 

James: (Looking at a meme on his phone) Hahaha. Babe, check this out. It’s so funny! (James shows Evie the pic.)

 

Evie: (She looks at the meme and then at James with a blank stare) If you show me another Star Wars meme I’m breaking up with you.

 

James: (Cleverly) It’s treason then.

 

Evie: Oh My God!

 

James: (Laughing uncontrollably)That’s…so funny…and you…know it!

 

Evie: (Frustrated) I swear you…sometimes you just…ugh never mind.

 

James: Geez, babe. What’s going on? Is it really THAT annoying?

 

Evie: (Exasperated) No. I…I just. I’m really stressed out. My boss asked me to work overtime this past week and she needs me to do it again. I want to. It’s good money, but I need a break.

 

James: I understand. How about this? Why don’t we finish this show and then I’ll give you a nice massage and draw you a bath? How does that sound?

 

Evie: That sounds amazing.

 

James: Good. You shouldn’t be so stressed. You’re too beautiful for that.

 

Evie: (Smiling sincerely) Awww. Thanks, babe.

 

          (James picks up his phone and starts scrolling through his Facebook newsfeed while still sitting next to Evie. She catches a glimpse of a girl in a costume showing off her butt on the newsfeed.)

 

Evie: (Annoyed) What is that?

 

James: (Still looking at his phone) What is what?

 

Evie: (Grabbing the phone out of his hand and showing the picture to him) This! What is this!? Why do you have a photo of a girl in some s****y outfit on your Facebook with her a*s hanging out?

 

James: Evie, calm down. I don’t have a photo of her. She’s a cosplayer that I follow. I like her work. She’s talented. Relax.

 

Evie: Relax? Relax!? This isn’t the first time I’ve caught you checking out other girl’s asses, James. Do you think I’m stupid?

 

James: Jesus Christ. Of course I don’t. And when have I checked out another girl’s a*s before?

 

Evie: On our second date when Miss Big Booty Judy walked passed our table and you snuck a glance.

 

James: (Puzzled) What!? How do you even know her name? I didn’t--

 

Evie: --I don’t, but that’s not the point. Don’t change the subject. And don’t deny it either.

 

James: I’m not. So I noticed a girl’s bodacious booty. I’m a guy. We can’t help it. It’s like how a goblin can’t not notice something shiny. We’re drawn to that. It’s instinct.

 

Evie: Don’t double negative me�"

 

James: Hold on! I distinctly recall you making a comment on that chick’s butt, so explain to me how I’m the douchebag here.

 

Evie: (Angrily) That doesn’t excuse you from doing it.

 

James: What!? I’m so confused. I thought you were fine with it, hence why you pointed it out.

 

          (Three consecutive knocks are heard at the front door. Evie huffs in frustration and goes to open it. It’s Kendra.)

 

Kendra: Hey, Evie. Hey, James. I just came by to�"

 

Evie: Come in! (To James) We’re not through.

 

Kendra: What kind of minefield did I walk into?

 

James: Tell me about it. She’s being unreasonable.

 

Evie: Unreasonable? (Brief pause) I’m being unreasonable? (Yoda speak)Unreasonable the size of your dick is. How’s that for a Star Wars joke, Jedi Master!?

 

James: Hey! You leave my dick out of this. He’s well within the national average.

 

Kendra: (Looks at James) What’s considered the national average?

 

James: Hush. That’s not important. (To Evie) I’m gonna go. Call me when you pass a charisma check. See ya, Kendra.

 

Kendra: (Sincerely) Bye, James.

 

Evie: Ugh! I’m sorry you saw that Kendra. I…I just need to be alone for a while. Can we talk tomorrow?

 

Kendra: Sure thing, Evie. Just…try to unwind and decompress. I’m here if you need me, hun.

 

Evie: Yeah. Thank you.

 

          (Kendra leaves and Evie draws herself a bath. End scene.)

 

 

Act I, Scene III

 

SETTING: Evie’s Work. Morning.

 

 

(Evie is still stressed out about what transpired the day before. While on her shift she grows more anxious about how she treated James. Tom walks in.)

 

Tom: (Walking up to the counter) Hey, Evie. How are you this fine morning?

 

Evie: (With a fake smile.) Fine, Tom. What can I getcha?

 

Tom: Hmmm. Let me see. (Long pause. Evie rolls her eyes and becomes annoyed.) I’ll have a large, coconut milk latte with 1 pump hazelnut, one pump vanilla, two Splendas, with a dollop of foam, lightly topped with�"

 

Evie: (Interrupting and irritated) Jesus Christ, Tom! For once in your life could you just order a f*****g plain coffee!?

 

          (Tom’s eyes widen and he makes an awkward frown.)

 

Tom: (Timidly) Uhh…yeah…sure, Evie. I’ll take one large coffee…to go, please.

 

Evie: Thaaaank you! That’ll be $2.40.

 

          (Tom pays and Evie gets him his coffee. Tom then leaves swiftly. Evie, flustered, goes to the back and asks Mark to cover her while she takes a break. Evie sits down at one of the tables and starts to cry. Kendra walks in not long after and notices Evie.)

 

Kendra: (Sincerely) Hey, hun. What’s going on? What happened?

 

Evie: (Sobbing) I…I’m so overwhelmed. I just blew up on a customer and I’m still upset about the fight James and I had yesterday. I fucked up and I’m worried that he won’t forgive me.

 

Kendra: Hey. Listen to me. James is a sweet guy, but most of all he’s understanding. Just talk to him. I’m sure you guys will work this out. As for the customer, well…you might want to rectify that. You don’t need any grief from that mistake.

 

Evie: True. But, Kendra, I said some mean s**t to James and it was uncalled for.

 

Kendra: I know. (Looks at audience) I was there, but are you really going to let that stop you? How are you going to fix this if you don’t try and just give up? You said something mean. So? Now go talk to him and apologize. Make an attempt at resolving this before just throwing in the towel or losing your s**t on some innocent bystander.

 

Evie: (Facetiously) OK. You don’t know Tom. He’s not innocent.

 

Kendra: (Sarcastically) Ha ha, but I’m serious, Evie. If we don’t try to resolve our differences then we won’t ever grow. Trust me when I say you need to talk to him. I’m sure he’ll understand. Worst case scenario, he doesn’t and you move on. It’s not the end of the world. (Dramatic like a superhero) Never give up. Never surrender.

 

Evie: (Hopeful) Al…alright, Kendra. I’ll give it a shot. Thank you.

 

Kendra: Sure thing, hun. You know I love ya.

 

Evie: Love you, too.

 

          (Evie wipes the tears from her eyes and gets back to work. Kendra walks up to the counter and places her order. Fade to black.)

 

          (Later that day, Evie is back at her apartment. She calls James and invites him over to talk. James knocks on the door and Evie answers it, inviting him in.)

 

Evie: Hey, James. Thanks for coming by. (She signals him to have a seat on the couch and then she follows.) Listen, I want to apologize for how I acted the other day and for what I said. You don’t deserve that. I just got really�"

 

James: (Interjecting) Evie, that’s fine. Apology accepted.

 

Evie: (Shocked) Huh? You’re not mad?

 

James: Mad? Haha, no. I mean, sure I was insulted. (Jokingly) You attacked my junk, but…look. At the end of the day they’re just words and they only have as much power as we are willing to give them. Some people choose to give up that power easily. I don’t. Yes, I’ll admit that when you love someone, or are in love with someone, words can have more impact, but people get in fights all the time. The important thing is to realize when we’ve made a mistake and make amends when we’re out of line.

 

Evie: (Tearing up) I…I don’t deserve this.

 

James: Oh, come on. Stop being so dramatic. So you said some stupid things and here we are. The point is you regret it and you took the initiative to reach out to fix it. That matters a lot to me and I’m grateful for that. Plus, that Yoda line was pretty funny. (Smirks)

 

Evie: (Cheerful) Haha. It was, wasn’t it? Well, good. I’m glad we worked this out.

 

James: Same. Now come here. (James leans in to give Evie a hug, but she kisses him instead.)

 

Evie: (Whispering) So, you love me, huh?

 

James: (Stammering) Yeah. You’re MY Big Booty Judy.

 

Evie: (Smiling) Haha, Shut up! (Playfully slaps him on the shoulder.)

 

          (James wraps his arm around Evie and she nestles her head in between his arm and chest. He kisses her on the head and turns on the TV. She smiles. Curtain closes.)

 

 

The End

© 2018 Guardian Of The Lost


Author's Note

Guardian Of The Lost
1st play I've written.

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow holy s**t this f*****g sucks

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 3, 2018
Last Updated on May 3, 2018