Chapter 8 Betrayal

Chapter 8 Betrayal

A Chapter by Matthew Ian Herrawood W
"

This is different from the original but I hope my changes have paved the way for more excitement with my plans for this book.

"

Chapter 8

Betrayal


I woke the next day to the sound of humming. I clambered out the back of the wagon and turned to my left the direction of the Humming. Irana was kneeling there building a small fire. I looked up at the sun directly overhead. I was no expert but I could judge the time of day to within an hour unless it was midday when the sun was directly overhead like now. I walked over to where Irana was and sat down nearby, just listening to her hum. It was slow and peaceful and made you feel like crying with joy. And when she finished a great sadness came over me that she had finished.

“That was beautiful” I breathed. She smiled.

“Thank you… it’s an old song the meaning lost in time but the story is quite interesting. You only heard the end which is happy but there is sadness and pain anger and confusion riddled through the earlier parts of the song. It’s one of my favourite tunes.” She told me “what about you. Are there any songs from your world you like to sing or hum?” I thought for a moment “there’s a few but nothing like what you just did songs are mostly done for fun not to convey a message”

“sing one” she said “please!” I thought a moment but only the words of one song came to mind. I started to sing putting on my best Scottish accent.

 

 

“Ohhh A fine wee lass, a bonnie wee lass,
Is bonnie wee Jeannie McColl;
I gave her my mother's engagement ring
And a bonnie wee tartan shawl.
I met her at a waddin’
In the Co-operative Hall
I was the best man
An’ she was the belle of the ball.

The very first nicht I met her,
She was awfy, awfy shy,
The rain cam' pourin' doon,
But she was happy, so was I.
We ran like mad for shelter,
An’ we landed up a stair,
The rain cam' poorin' oot o' ma breeks,
But och I didna care.”

Irana Laughed and started to clap the beat singing the chorus copying my Scottish accent perfectly. When I finished, I caught her a bit off guard by repeating the last two lines of the chorus to end but she clapped politely. I stood and did an exaggerated bow and regretted it was only now that many other song lyrics and tunes were now coming to mind. I sat down again and then asked Irana a question.

“where are the others?”

“I don’t know what you mean” Irana said a wicked glint coming into her eyes. I decided I’d play along for a bit.

“Daniel Ryan Emily and Amy… where are they?”

“You can’t see them?” Irana asked. “there in plain sight.” Something clicked in my head. And I resorted to a classic line.

“their behind me, aren’t they?” Amy’s unmistakable smothered giggle broke out behind me. It turned into a sound of surprise as with a quick glance I noted her position and grabbed her hand pulling her forward as I jumped up then my arms encircled her waist.

“Ello sparky” Emily said passing me as I kissed Amy on the cheek.

“More like sleepy” Daniel told her then turned to me “Its lunchtime you know. Which reminds me” he turned to Irana “what you got for lunch I’m starving and it smells good!” it was then I noticed the smell. It had started while I was singing, I realised, but I hadn’t really registered it until Daniel had mentioned it.

“A Broth with Vegetables and Venison” Irana said. “Matthew has been sharing songs from your homeland with me, may I hear another?” Amy started to sing Respect by Aretha Franklin but when she paused for a moment I started to sing Respect by P!nk. Irana knew from the lyrics sung by Amy and then me that we were both singing two different songs about the same thing and laughed along with everyone except Amy who turned and tilted her head up to me and stuck her tongue out. Suddenly the forest Exploded with sound. Bandits ran out of the shadow of the dense trees with weapons raised high I immediately let go of Amy and while the others drew their swords my hand grasped empty air. I looked down at my waist realising I hadn’t strapped my sword belt on and my weapon was still in the wagon which was about four or five meters away and already bandits were between me and it.

“Uhh guys…” They spared me a glance before Daniel spoke.

“Stay behind me and watch my back I’ll head toward the wagon, that is where you left your sword right?” he glanced at me again and I nodded then the first of the bandits reached us and Daniel started swinging with an upward slice cutting one from hip to shoulder. “If someone’s behind me tell me and drop” Daniel yelled over the clash of metal. I watched Daniels back occasionally looking at the distance to the wagon which we were moving towards at a painfully slow rate. Suddenly two bandits who seemingly came out of nowhere started to attack Daniel and we stopped moving completely before we started moving back Daniel only just managing to parry the flurry of blows. “You’ll have to continue by yourself Matt I’ll be here for a while” I didn’t answer but started running dodging between swords and people. I leapt forward stretching out my hands as the sword I had seen out the corner of my eye aimed at my knees its passed under me. I landed on my hands and rolled coming up instantly. A Tall bandit was standing in front of me legs spread. I was just out of reach of the longsword he was wielding. He smiled menacingly at me and was about to take a step when I flashed him a cheerful smile. He stopped, hesitating. Then stood in shock for a moment as I, his unarmed opponent ran at him. At the last moment, I dropped into a perfect slide tackle. I slid right between his legs but caught each ankle in my hands pulling him down to land hard on his face. I was right next to the cart now and pulled myself up and in. I scooped up my sword and stepped out again I took one moment to survey the area Irana was fighting with efficiency and it took me a moment to realise she was using an arrow like a dagger again. The space around her was free of enemies for a moment and she fired the arrow she had used like a dagger and then another arrow at a separate Bandit hitting both then she returned to fighting up close with an arrow. Amy was nowhere to be seen but Bandits were mysteriously dropping and I figured she was the cause Ryan was in the thick of everything Enjoying the adrenaline rush from the danger but I could tell he was carefully calculating where to put his feet so as not to be in too much danger from multiple enemy’s. Daniel was in the most trouble still fighting the two bandits that had stopped our progression to the cart.

“hinrkixn” I Mumbled stepping forward then with a flick of my wrist I slashed one bandit in the back dropping him but I didn’t stop there, with a simple twist of my wrist the sword flowed fluidly into my next attack dropping the second bandit. Daniel nodded thanks to me and moved off revealing Kyilpx who was glaring at me holding, of all things, a battle axe. Suddenly he jumped at me, the powerful Two handed axe swinging towards my left. I stepped forward quickly sheathing my sword raising my hands just in time to catch the handle of the battle axe. The force jarred both my arm’s sending them numb, but somehow, I still managed to hold onto the handle. I twisted it over my head managing to turn it and ram the head into Kyilpx’s stomach but it didn’t seem to faze him he just grabbed the handle near the head and ripped it out of my hands. I ducked and rolled away drawing my sword as I came up but its only use was offence. I could not use my sword to block or parry the powerful Blows delivered by a Battle axe. He swung at my side again slightly lower than before instinctively I jumped and surprising even myself summersaulted and landing on the handle pushing it down into the ground but Kyilpx didn’t release the axe and heaved it up causing me to stumble back. He took advantage of my stumble and swung again at me. I quickly lifted my feet so I dropped using the landing to regain my balance and spun sword out as the axe passed over my head blowing my hair slightly. My sword Sliced One of Kyilpx’s Legs open and he grunted in shock then turned and ran surprisingly fast despite the newly acquired limp. The bandits seeing Kyilpx run disappeared back into the trees quickly.
“Stop Irana” I heard Surine say I looked over to see her firing arrow after arrow in the direction Kyilpx had gone, Surine Holding out a hand in a placating gesture.
“Irana stop!” Surine said more forcefully. He grabbed her bow but that was a mistake. With a growl, she turned and punched him in the nose. Surine stumbled back letting go of the bow and despite it being futile Irana fired her last two arrows once again looking in the direction Kyilpx had gone. Her quiver exhausted she stood there panting for a moment then slumped to her knees head bowed shoulders shaking as Surine embraced her hiding her from view.



© 2017 Matthew Ian Herrawood W


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on February 14, 2017
Last Updated on February 20, 2017


Author

Matthew Ian Herrawood W
Matthew Ian Herrawood W

A Town, South Australia, Australia



About
A Introduction to my Realm Trilogy About the Author Matthew W is 24 years old (November 1 2016) and lives in South Australia. He has been writing and reading for a long time. Because he was su.. more..

Writing