Chapter 9 City Kasara

Chapter 9 City Kasara

A Chapter by Matthew Ian Herrawood W
"

The 5 have reached Their first Human occupied city in the world of Germo. This is the City Kasara

"

Chapter 9
City Kasara

 

“So, what’s going on again?”
“Ryan” Amy sweetly said in reply “your thick.” Emily Daniel and I Sniggered While Ryan fumed then Emily tried to explain.

“the general idea I get, from what Surine said, is that Elves share some kind of special connection to elves they grew up with. They can be friends or enemies but the choices they make have a big emotional impact on each other. While Surine didn’t grow up with Kyilpx, Irana did so when it turned out he was attacking us she got really mad Tried to kill him and trying to do that to someone she grew up with really upset her.”

“that’s about what I got” Daniel said running and hand over his mouth and down his neck.
“anyway” Emily said. “Surine is the fastest runner out of Irana and him, so he is going to report Kyilpx’s betrayal to the Qweex. He thinks Irana will be fine now so she will continue with us and he will try and catch up as soon as possible, he thinks he will reach the Qweex about the time we Reach a city called Kisara or something.”

“Kasara” I said emphasizing the ‘Ka’.

“Right Kasara, so he thinks he should be able to catch up with us just before we leave Kasara if we stay awhile and if not then in the next city on.”

“great another weirdly named city.” Ryan complained “What’s that one called?”

“Actually, Surine didn’t say, you Dolt” Amy told him as Surine wandered over.

“I’m going to head back to the Qweex now but before I do a word about Irana. Do not Mention what has transpired. She is okay and may be quiet but she will likely be moody and any mention of Kyilpx will distract her and that could be very costly. I do not want to see you or my Love hurt when I return” I Paused for a moment in shock before voicing my one worded question.

“Love?”

“Surine Are you blushing” Emily Squealed in delight.

“Ohh do tell are you and Irana an Item Surine?” Amy asked but his expression changed to one of confusion.

“I am Familiar with the Word Item but not in these terms” he said.

“Are you two in a relationship” I clarified

“In our world people tend to talk about others who are in a relationship they become an “Item” of conversation” Daniel explained.

“Well I suppose there is no hiding it yes we are in a relationship but as far as I know no one has talked about us being together except those organising the bonding.” My jaw dropped.

“You’re getting married?!”

“I believe that is the term you humans use but we are getting of track here”
“oh no” said Amy “I believe we are perfectly on track”

“Is everything ok?” Irana had wandered over and Surine cast her a plea full look

“I revealed our secret my love and now they hold me prisoner with questions” A small smile twitched at her mouth but she remained silent. After a moment Surine continued “I really must go now” he reached out taking Irana’s hands and pulled her to Him “as must you all” he directed at us before Kissing Irana Lovingly. When they broke apart a moment later I just heard Surine whisper “stay safe” and with that he dashed off. Irana looked after him then shook herself and headed for the wagon

“Come” she said simply and we followed Amy teasing Ryan about how uncomfortable he had been at Surine and Irana’s kiss.


A week passed Irana noticeably quiet but slowly returning to her old self. We didn’t come across anymore bandits and according to Irana made good time. On the seventh day around midday I felt the cart curve to the left slightly before coming to a stop. We heard Irana bang on the side of the cart twice indicating she wanted to talk to us but to be cautious as there were others around. We clambered out the back emerging into a clearing just as another cart passed us on the road a little to our right heading in the other direction.

“what up Irana?” Emily asked.

“See that bend in the road just ahead?” Irana said pointing to where the trees again condensed to be separated only by the road. We all nodded muttering a confirmation. “Once we pass that Kasara will be in sight. By rights were it not for the trees we would be able to see it now. From this point if anyone asks you are my children Girls you are staying safely hidden from other boy’s eyes in the back Boys you are Unskilled but armed determined to protect your mother and sisters should they need it. Surine is my husband…”

“Not yet!” Amy cut in quickly. Irana just smiled and started her sentence again.

“Surine is my husband but he had to stay behind and hopes to catch up with us in the city. I will call you all by your Germish names. Amy, you are Paj (pa- ((pa as in Paper)) J), Emily you are Eaimj (eye-mmm-jay), Daniel you shall be known as Gpxiem (Gp ((sounds like Gap without the A)) zi-em), and Ryan, Hjpx (had-j-Picks), Matt you are…”
“Apkkriez (App-Kree-ez)?” I guessed having translated my name already. Irana Smiled at me and nodded

“Yes” she affirmed “now girls in the back, Boys I’m afraid two of you walk you can fight over who rides upfront.” Ryan Daniel and I rotated who rode and who walked and despite having to slow the pace so the walkers could keep up, we made good time. I was lucky enough to be the first one to ride with Irana on her left while Daniel and Ryan walked at the back either side of the carriage. As a result, Irana and I were the first ones to see Kasara.

“Holy mother of mercy!” I breathed. Amy obviously heard me exclamation as a moment later I heard someone clamber out the carriage before the vacant space Beside the front of the carriage Exclaimed similarly.

“Holy…” I heard Amy’s voice.

“Amy Run ahead but stay hidden if no one approaches from either direction Emily can take a quick look” Irana said. A few minutes later Emily, as the last to see the city, stood just as awe struck as Ryan and Daniel had been moment before.

“It’s just so… so…”

“Big” Ryan finished Bluntly for Emily.

“It’s bigger than big Man” I told him

“Its Friggen’ Enormous!” Daniel said. Emily just nodded mutely. Kasara lay before us Tree’s had obviously been cleared away to build it but how long it had taken I couldn’t have guessed either side of the city stretched far into the distance. Surrounded by a massive wall a Magnificent building that looked Very official was prominent in the middle of what appeared to be a perfectly square shaped city.

“Irana how big is Kasara?” I asked Irana thought for a moment

“”it takes approximately 6 hours to travel from one side to the other by horse. The main road which runs straight through the central building…” she indicated the Official looking building “…has Inn’s at approximately 30 minutes walking intervals. It’s also split into 9 areas with its own officials for each area. Kasara is one of the biggest City’s in Germo. Now Emily, Amy, Back in the cart! It time we move on.” Irana Started the cart moving slowly Down the slope toward Kasara only picking the speed up slightly when we felt the slight jolt of Amy and Emily returning to their place hidden from view.


“Woah there” one of the guards said grabbing hold of the horse’s reins “where do you think you’re Going?” we had finally reached the city I was lucky enough to again be riding next to Irana (who had rounded her ears to appear human) resting my Tired feet. The sky was starting to darken with the onset of night and the guards were preparing to shut the City gate for the night.

“I simply wish to enter the city good sir” Irana answered.

“I’m afraid you’re going to have to camp out here tonight we are closing up” he replied.

“Please sir I…” Irana began but the guard cut her off angrily

“I said no!”

“and I said Yes” another voice said. We all turned to see another guard coming over. “lay off them Somkox. We haven’t closed up yet and there is no one else behind them, we can let one more in” Somkox grumbled but moved off as the other guard came closer. “sorry about Greg Somkox he doesn’t like deviating from his original orders. Normally we wouldn’t let you in but normally the gate would be closed and about to be locked we are running a little late today”

“Six” Irana said.

“I’m sorry?” the guard said puzzled

“You said you could let one more in but there are Six of us sir” Irana responded. This puzzled me Irana was behaving like she didn’t understand what the guard had said but I kept this thought to myself as the guard laughed and responded

“I am Adam not sir. I only count four of you”

“My daughters are in the back of the wagon” Irana Responded

“Ah I see” said Adam “well you can all go through but just before we let you in as some of you are armed I am going to need your names and to check How Beautiful your daughters are” He backed away as I immediately stood hand on hilt. I was not going to let him use Amy or Emily (mainly Amy) as pieces of eye Candy.

“Sit down Apkkriez” Irana said forcefully. Adam slowly edged closer. “apologise. Now.” Irana was doing very well as a scolding mother so I called on my training as an actor.

“sorry” I said in my best begrudging voice. Irana gave a sigh of exasperation and turned to Adam.

“I’m Sorry while all my sons are protective of their sisters Apkkriez here is the most”

“No harm done Lad” Adam said “It was just a little joke. We must check the back of the cart to make sure you are not bringing anyone or anything into the city that you haven’t told us about or that you shouldn’t” I stayed silent Looking away to hide a smile. I was really enjoying Irana’s performance. Adam after a moment signalled 3 guards to check the back of the cart and Irana told him our Germish translation names and then once the 3 guards confirmed that only a few weapons and 2 girls were in the back of the cart Adam waved us through the gate. Halfway through Irana stopped.

“Adam!” she called and the guard turned back “My husband Surine will come through sometime in the near future could you let him know how many days behind us he is?” Adam nodded

“I’ll circulate it among the guard, we will tell him” Irana thanked him and set the horses into a trot but stayed silent until we were out of ear shot.

“your instinct to protect the girls is commendable Matt but try and keep yourself in check least you give us away” I nodded.

“Why did you act dumb?” I asked her.

“You are referring to me telling the guard there are six of us when he clearly meant one more group not one more person?” again I nodded. “It is an unfortunate but ultimately true fact that most men like women that are stupid and therefore easily controlled and innocent. In acting the way I did, he was more concerned with reprimanding the first guard that approached us as to whether we would create any trouble in the city. It is likely that apart from the message for Surine he will completely forget us by tomorrow morning.”
“makes sense. I’m glad you said MOST men” Irana raised her eyebrows at this. “Ok” I said “I suppose I find a girl that’s a bit Ditsy or a little clumsy Somewhat endearing but I like the girl’s intelligent” There was loud bang on the wooden roof of the cart.

“S**t. Ow” I heard Amy say who had obviously banged her head. Irana looked at me one eyebrow cocked.

“Amy is a bit of self-proclaimed klutz. But she is intelligent too!”

“Thanks Matt! I think your Sometimes Intelligent too!” Amy called. A smile crept onto my lips at Amy’s teasing remark. Irana made a shooing motion with one hand as we approached an Inn

“Go inside with Gpxiem and your sisters. Get a table and pay for 2 rooms for the night.” I nodded getting Down “Hjpx!” Irana called to Ryan “help with the horses” she told him as a young boy ran forward to lead the horses to the stable. Daniel, Emily, Amy, and I stepped through the inn door and were greeted by a comfortably warm room with a dim light from a roaring fire and people sitting at tables listening to a Minstrel playing a soft tune. Daniel went to speak with the inn keeper While I surveyed the room, Emily and Amy Stood slightly behind me playing the role of Mild mannered somewhat shy sisters. Most of the inn’s occupants were weapon less and the few men that did have weapons on their person wore only daggers on their hip. There was an assortment of tables that seated 4 and benches that could seat 6 (Or 8 if you pulled a chair to each end) comfortably. Daniel turned finished talking to the inn keeper and I nodded my head at a bench partly hidden in shadows at one corner of the room. We sat down Emily and Daniel on side backs to the door. Amy slid in next to me Facing the door. Without looking she grabbed my hand under the table and held it lightly. I gave her a hand a gentle squeeze and we sat together hand in hand until the door opened again to admit Ryan and Irana they both stood at the door for a moment until I raised my hand. Ryan pointed it out to Irana and they made their way over Irana sliding in next to Amy.

“Daniel unless you have told the Inn Keeper otherwise we are no longer one Family” Irana said. “Daniel what did you tell him?” I noticed the use of his proper name.

“I said if there was any food There are six of us and we would like some and I would also like 2 bedrooms with 3 beds each.” Daniel told her “He said they have two beds each and a spare bedroll. He also said he would charge full price for use of the beds but half for the bedrolls and we negotiated a price”

“Good, Amy Emily you are still my Daughters but the boys are not your brothers.

Boys your mother passed away a number of years back and I Am a friend of your fathers and you have known the girls your whole life becoming close friends…”

“And more” Amy said jumping then Then quickly kissed my cheek. In response, I put 2 arms round her resting both hands on her far side shoulder and pulled her towards me before placing a firm kiss on her lips. As usual the world disappeared for a brief couple of seconds as our lips touched and our eyes closed. As I pulled away I saw a slight frown crease Irana’s forehead.

“Uhh go on” I said to her. Irana shook her head and continued.

“You Boys are close friends and have some training with weapons I asked your father If you boys would like to travel with us as guards. You boys jumped at the chance to spend time with the girls and myself and Get a bit of money from me for your services though unlikely you would have to do much”

“you have really thought this out, haven’t you?” Daniel said.

“Recent events have called for it. We will also use our proper names from here on. Irana said then went quite she didn’t say anything more to us for the rest of the night only nodding in thanks when a Teenage girl brought our meals to us and a few quickly exchanged words with innkeeper after the meal in which she collected the keys to our rooms she simply threw one key to Ryan and then headed up the stairs that lead to the dorms while the rest of us stayed to listen to the minstrel. She surprised us a few moment later by coming back down and over to us.

“Watch or friend in the opposite far corner carefully” she said before again retreating up stares I stayed Facing the same direction but flicked my eyes to the corner Irana had indicated. Sitting there was a Silhouette most features indistinguishable and not enough to know if it was a man or woman but two things were clear the eyes that were watching us and the fact that whoever it was they were the only other person in the room with a sword.



© 2017 Matthew Ian Herrawood W


Author's Note

Matthew Ian Herrawood W
This is a Compleated Chapter not the teaser i had up before. I feel its Possible i rushed this chapter at the end having written it more than 3 times previously. I have edited out somthings from previous versions that havent been seen That I didnt Think worked but its made the chapter shorter than i would of liked. But it finishes with mystery and its long enough for a chapter... thoughts?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on February 27, 2017
Last Updated on March 2, 2017


Author

Matthew Ian Herrawood W
Matthew Ian Herrawood W

A Town, South Australia, Australia



About
A Introduction to my Realm Trilogy About the Author Matthew W is 24 years old (November 1 2016) and lives in South Australia. He has been writing and reading for a long time. Because he was su.. more..

Writing