Fairy Fright

Fairy Fright

A Story by Melissa Kesead
"

This is the sequel to Triumph At The Castle of Malin

"

FAIRY FRIGHT

 

By

 

Melissa Kesead

 

 

 

 

CHAPTER ONE

 

 

 

          King Daniel’s reign in the Castle of Malin in the beautiful land of Brish was going perfectly.  Twelve years have passed by since the war that orphaned him and destined him to be King.  The evil sorcerer from across the sea and his armies were never heard from again, but Daniel thought of them often.  He frequently sat and wondered, “Where did the people and animals go when they were killed in battle?  And where did my parents go?  He knew that the people in the villages thought of the war too, and were saddened by it.  But at the beginning of the second year of his reign, there was overwhelming joy as the Queen gave birth to twins.  They were beautiful children, crowned with ebony hair and faces adorned with eyes of green.  They were identical in every way except one was a boy and one was a girl.  The Prince they christened Matthew and the Princess Melisande. 

          The kingdom rejoiced with a weeklong celebration, brining royalty and commoners alike from neighboring provinces.  The fairy kingdom also rejoiced because King Daniel was their friend and they would now have new playmates to teach the wonders of their world to. 

          The fairy music echoes throughout the kingdom and all around the flowers responded by opening their buds and smiling on the children, and the sapling and ancient trees alike in the forests stretched their branches and waved their leaves.  Everywhere happiness reigned.  Everywhere, that is, except for a little grove in the middle of Faerfern Forest.  There Farrinda lived, shunned by the other fairies for her unfairylike qualities and dark demeanor.

          “These royal brats will regret the day they were born, and the spark of happiness they brought to our kingdom will die as surely as they will.  This I swear!”  Farrinda tee-heed and did a little dance in the middle of her ugly little house and then sat down to plan.

 

CHAPTER TWO

 

          Years passed and Matthew and Melisande grew into beautiful children.  They obeyed their parent’s every wish and were perfect in their manners when at royal functions.  Almost weekly the twins visited the fairy kingdom and Brim, Elsander, Trassa and Jern, their fairy friends. 

          All of the fairies were much smaller than the eleven-year-old children, standing only two feet tall.  Even though they were between the ages of eighty and one hundred years old, they were mere children in their world.  Their hair was still silver instead of iron colored like the adults, and their eyes were varying shades of purple.  They would play with the heirs for hours on end.  A few hours in their land, though, were days to men, and several times a fairy would be sent to the king to let him know that his children were in safe hands.

          This became part of Farrinda’s evil plan.  She knew about the children’s visits to her homeland and how secure she felt with the fairies.  She schemed and thought and thought and schemed, ironing out details and time schedules and the like.  When she finally had it perfect she tee-heed and danced a little dance, her matted black hair twirling around her.

 

CHAPTER THREE

 

          Months flew by and soon September was upon the land.  The leaves on all the trees had turned beautiful shades of red, orange and yellow and colored the ground like a patchwork quilt.  It was a time of change.  It was also Matthew and Melisande’s birthday month.  On the fifteenth day of September they would turn twelve-years-old. 

          The day before the event the castle was bustling with activity, everyone trying to get things done for the birthday celebration.  The twins, not being able to help, felt as if they were in the way and went to see the fairies.  Farrinda had guessed that they would come and had set up her trap where the children would certainly see it. 

          She changed her appearance so cleverly that not even the elder fairies that had banished her would have recognized her.  Her matted black hair had become long and flowing, its silver color brighter than any star; her dirty brown skin was now creamy white and soft as a rose petal; and her shapeless and stained clothing had become a dress fit for a fairy princess, made from golden butterfly wings.  As soon as Farrinda could sense the twins, she sat down upon a log and began to cry, tears that sparkled like diamonds rolling down her cheeks.  All around her the flowers and branches bent themselves with sadness for the lovely fairy in distress.  When the children reached the edge of the forest they heard her sobs echoing through the trees.

          “What do you suppose that is?” Matthew asked, listening to the peculiar sound.

          “I believe it’s a fairy crying,” answered Melisande, walking faster.  “We must see if we can help.”

          They hadn’t walked far into the woods when they saw her.  Neither one of them had ever seen anything so beautiful and couldn’t take their eyes off of her.

          Melisande walked up and knelt down beside her.  “What’s wrong beautiful fairy?  Why are you crying?”

          Farrinda looked up at them and the sadness in her violet eyes made them think she was even more beautiful than when they first saw her.  “I’m lost and can’t find my way home.  Can you help me?”

          “Of course we can.  We have friends in the fairy kingdom and we know the secret password to enter your world.  Come on!”  Matthew shouted, happy that they could help.

          The three of them walked hand in hand, deeper and deeper into the forest.  When they reached a certain point the fairy stopped and looked around.  “I remember now!  I know where I am.  Thank you so much for walking me this far.  I have a little cottage just a few steps that way.  Would you come in for some yum cakes and brooma tea?”

          The children laughed and smiled at their new friend, nodding their heads and they answered, “Yes, we’d love to.”

          Farrinda led them to her hut that she had transformed into a charming cottage with ivy-covered walls and dainty little furniture.  As they sat down to tea, Matthew was sipping when Melisande heard Brim and Trassa calling them.  Matthew had already drunk the tea and was under Farrinda’s spell, but Melisande rushed out the door to say hello to her friends, unaware that her brother was in danger.  Once outside the door the spell was broken and the cottage turned back into the shabby hut made of twigs and dead leaves.  Through the doorway she was Farrinda as she truly was and screamed in fright.

          Matthew was slumped in his chair, unable to move as the spell took him over.  Soon the hut faded and then disappeared from sight as the fairy worked her magic.  Melisande, frightened and confused, ran to tell her fairy friends and then to the castle to tell the king.

         
 

 

CHAPTER FOUR

 

          As Melisande unraveled her story from beginning to end, King Daniel became more and more worried.  Brim, Elsander, Trassa and Jern, along with a few Elders, had come with Princess Melisande to hear the full story and to offer whatever help they could.

          “Her story is not as unusual as you may think,” sighed Randar the Elder.  “I am one of the founders of the Council of Elders that banished Farrinda from our kingdom.  Hers is a tale laden with sadness.  When Farrinda was born she was the most beautiful baby kingdom had ever seen.  And as the years passed, she grew into a stunning child.  Her silver hair was as soft as silk and shone brighter than moonbeams; her skin was smooth and creamy white; and her violet eyes sparkled like amethysts.  By the time she was of a suitable age to marry, the news of her beauty had spread far and wide.  One day King Blackmorte, a powerful sorcerer from across the sea - the very one whom you defeated – came to ask Farrinda for her hand in marriage.  Farrinda at once refused, repulsed by the idea of marrying someone so evil.  King Blackmorte became enraged at the thought that someone would refuse him and cast a spell on her, changing her into the ugly, vile thing she is now.  We had no choice but to banish her from our kingdom because she became an evil fairy, bent on mischief.”

          Randar continued.  “When King Blackmorte returned home and  began his invasion of the country for revenge, Farrinda became his accomplice and put a spell on us so that we were powerless to help you win the war.  And ever since the day you won and freed both the human kingdom and ours, she has been bent on revenge.  That is why she set that trap and succeeded in taking Prince Matthew.  If we do not find where she has taken him, I am sorry to say that I believe he will be changed into a creature like her and be lost to you forever.”

          King Daniel and Queen Alexandria vowed to save their son no matter what the risk, and though she was forbidden to help, Princess Melisande also made this vow.  She was determined to play a part in Farrinda’s defeat and to break the spell that ruined the little fairy’s life.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CHAPTER FIVE

 

          An hour later the search party was standing in the woods hunting for any trace of Farrinda or Prince Matthew.  Nothing was found.  As the sunlight waned and night began transforming the land, the dejected group returned to the castle to await daylight.

          After the party returned, Princess Melisande waited until the castle was still to be sure everyone was snug in their beds.  When all was quiet she made her way to the dungeon and crept through an old escape tunnel that led into the forest.

          As she reached the spot where the hut had stood, a feeling of dread crept over her and she sank to her knees and sobbed, feeling the loss of her twin.  Then frustration and anger replaced the sadness and she pounded the earth and cried out, “Farrinda!  Farrinda!  I demand that you give me back my brother.  Farrinda!  I know you were good once.  I know that the fairy princess we saw was really you; what you really look like deep down inside.  Farrinda!”  She pounded the earth harder than before.  “I’ll fight if I have to.  I won’t let you take my brother away from me!  Never!” 

          As the last word escaped her mouth she struck the ground one last time and for the first time heard the faint echo.  “It’s hollow underneath,” she whispered.  “I’ll save you yet, Matthew.  I swear it.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CHAPTER SIX

 

          She crept back to the castle and slept a troubled sleep, her mind reeling with different plans and varied solutions.  By keeping busy during the day she avoided suspicion, having told no one of what she had found.  She returned the same time that night with pick and shovel and set to work.  The digging seemed to take forever, but there was no turning back.  A hole opened beneath her and for a moment she hesitated, long enough to write a plea to her father.

                    Follow me if you must, but know this:

                    I will not give up my place in this mission.

                    I am closer than anyone else to my brother

                    and to the fairy kingdom.  I believe I am

                    best qualified.  Please understand me.

                             Melisande

          Having made her plea she left the note under her shovel and dropped into dark, unknown territory.  When her feet touched bottom she heard the ground seal up above her and a strong gust of wind tore the note from under the shovel, tossing it into the forest.  Farrinda knew she was there.

 

CHAPTER SEVEN

 

          Brim, Elsander, Trassa and Jern sat huddled together in their meadow place, contemplating the situation of the missing prince.

          “You know Melisande will go after him.  She’s like that, you know.”  Trassa nodded her head in affirmation of her statement, her silvery hair falling into her eyes.

          “Yes, yes.  We’ve forseen that”, Elsander barked, feeling the need to take command since he was the oldest at 98 ½ years.  “We must do something to help the child.  She doesn’t know what she’s dealing with.  Fairy magic is one thing, but fairy magic gone bad…I shudder to think of what could happen.”  Elsander shuddered for emphasis and turned toward Brim.  “Well Mr. Smarty Pants, got any bright ideas? You seem to voice your opinion often enough, you’d think you were a genius.  What do you have to say for yourself now?  Hmmm?”

          Brim glared at Elsander and his lavender eyes flared briefly with anger.  It seemed the eldest never missed a chance to pick on the youngest.  “As a matter of fact, I do have an idea”, Brim answered with a smirk.  “I suggest we give Melisande some tricks of her own to use.”

          “You mean like rainbow beans and hornet hair?” Jern asked the others, slightly confused.

          “Among other things”, Brim explained.  “She needs to find the mirror of Galanor sooner than anything else; then she can show Farrinda what she really is like, underneath her blackness.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CHAPTER EIGHT

 

          Princess Melisande crept about in the inky black of the tunnel, the candle she carried having long ago ceased its flickering light.  She had no comfort but her waning confidence as she groped her way along, praying that she would reach her brother in time.

          Rounding a sharp curve she saw a flash of light and gasped, afraid of what it might be.  She edged closer and saw that it was a mirror; a magical mirror with a light that shone from it’s very depths.  When Melisande grasped it, the light brightened and a beautiful face appeared, one that she had never seen before.

          “Melisande”, the woman said, “I am Galanor, Enchantress of the North and friend of the fairy folk.  This mirror enables the beholder to see the truth in all situations and in all people.  When you find Farrinda, you must persuade her to look into the mirror.  Then and only then will you have the chance to break the spell and free your brother.  But beware, beauty is not always in the eyes of the beholder of the mirror.  The evil in her will not like what she sees.”

          “But how will I get her to look into the mirror?  She’ll know it’s a trick.”

          “Use all your knowledge and the gifts that the people of the fairy kingdom have bestowed upon you.  Trust what is in your heart.”  The voice faded and the face as well, but the light shone forth like a beacon of hope in this pit of despair.

          A she walked through the tunnel she talked to herself, trying to remember what gifts had been bestowed upon her and her brother.  Gifts that the fairy kingdom has bestowed upon me and Matthew.  Hmmm.  We have the password to their kingdom.  What else do we have?  We haven’t used them in so long.  Let’s see.  I think there was a spell to make us invisible and one to make us tiny.  That’s all I can remember.  Oh, I hope I can recall all the words to the spells.

          She murmured and mumbled as she walked along, the mirror making a soft glow on the tunnel walls and floor.  Finally her words formed a rhythm and she slowly faded from sight.  The mirror, still held in her now invisible hand, seemed to float along by itself.

          Not a minute had passed after she had become invisible that a small troop of black creatures came toward her, their leathery wings rustling and their sharp claws clicking on the stone floor.  The leaders carried long spears and stood more upright than the rest, while the others carried nets and ropes and walked slightly stooped over, not worthy of an upright stance.

          Melisande jerked back in fear and pressed herself against the wall, trying to avoid the creatures.  At the last minute she remembered the mirror and stuck it under her shirt, putting out the glaring light that would have given her away.  The troop passed her without a glance and disappeared down the corridor.

          That was too close for comfort, whispered Melisand to herself.  I wish my fairy friends were with me.  As she said that she noticed a small package appear in the middle of the tunnel.  She knelt down and opened the attached card.

“So you found the mirror. Good for you! We knew you would.  You remembered how to become invisible too. We’re proud

of you!  In the package you will find some rainbow beans and hornet hair. Each color of bean has instructions for its use.  The

hornet hair makes whoever you throw it at unable to move.  Good luck!  Brim, Elsander, Trassa and Jern.”

          Melisande opened the package and put the contents into the pockets of her breeches.  Then she moved on.

 

 

 

CHAPTER NINE

 

          Farrinda felt her presence and sneered.  Why couldn’t she have gotten both brats at the same time?  It annoyed her that her plan had failed.  King Blackmorte had taught her to plan so as not to fail.  Yet he had failed.  He had lost against his own creations!  She alone had survived the war.  She had lived in solitude, seething with hate for King Daniel all these years until she had finally devised the plan to kidnap the children and make them like her…evil.  But then she had missed the princess.  She would have had her, too, if those fairy fruits hadn’t been calling her.  Oh well, she’d have her soon enough.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CHAPTER TEN

 

          King Daniel reviewed his soldiers, searching for their strengths and weaknesses.  He only wanted the best on the search for his daughter and son.  The only clues they have to Melisande’s disappearance are the shovel and pickax that they found in the clearing in the woods.  King Daniel wasn’t sure if Farrinda had gotten to her somehow or if she left on her own in search of her brother.  Perhaps he would never know.

          Jern flitted along, her silver hair trailing her like stardust.  She bobbed and weaved between the flowers and tree branches in her miniature form like a racecar driver on a slippery track.  The message to the king she had tucked in a little satchel slung over her slim shoulder.

          It seemed she always got stuck with delivering messages, but she really didn’t mind.  She liked the glamour of the court and all the beautiful people but she liked the humans more.  Jern only made a fuss in front of the other fairies so they wouldn’t think she was soft.  Smiling at her secret, she flew faster. 

          King Daniel was drilling his soldiers when she arrived.  She made a slow circle around his head before alighting on his shoulder.  She handed him the piece of paper smaller than his fingernail and then murmured a spell and the paper slowly grew larger until it once again became normal size.  The Queen had been told of Jern’s arrival and stood at her husband’s side, awaiting whatever news the little fairy had brought.

          Princess Melisande’s now smeared words loomed out from the page, calling to her father.

                  

“Follow me if you must, but know this: 

                    I will not give up my place in this mission.

                    I am closer than anyone else to my brother

                    and to the fairy kingdom.  I believe I am

                    best qualified.  Please believe me.

                             -Melisande”

 

          King Daniel read the words aloud and then handed the page to the Queen.  He started to give out the soldiers’ orders when Jern gently tapped him on the shoulder and handed him another note, this time from the Council of Elders.  As the page slowly enlarged, a puzzled expression crept over the King’s face, then one of understanding.

                  

 

“King Daniel-

                    The council has met and discussed this problem

                    At great length.  We feel that Melisande would

                    Do best if left on her own.  We are helping her

                    As best as we can.  We feel that you would only

                    Hinder the progress she is making.  We can only

                    Tell you how we feel.  You must make the final

                    Decision.  On behalf of the Council- Randar”

 

          King Daniel knew the fairies were right.  What could he do with soldiers and guns against a fairy and her magic?  Melisande knew what she was up against and had the fairies’ help.  They could only wait.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CHAPTER ELEVEN

 

          Prince Matthew struggled inside the spell.  Unable to move our to speak, his mind still sought for a solution, a way out.  Farrinda paced back and forth in front of him, studying the changes that had taken place since he’d been with her.  His once silky black hair had become dull and lay around his face like a jagged frame.  His fingernails had grown and become sharp like animals.  But light still shone in the recesses of his eyes.  Farrinda knew it wouldn’t be long until that light went out and she tee-heed and spun around Matthew, her laughter echoing madly about the room. 

          The princess walked slowly, feeling invisible eyes watching her every step.  She soon found that the hallway she was in ended and the onlyway out was through a doorway.  But which one?  There were seven different doorways, each a different color, shape and size.  She stood there a moment, unable to decide what to do, when she remembered the rainbow beans in her breeches.  She reached into her pocket and pulled out a handful.  Reading each carefully, she settled on a bright yellow one.  It read: “When there is confusion or doubt, break me open, I’ll help you out.”

          Melisande broke open the bean and before her eyes the bean became a meter.  But not any ordinary meter, oh no.  It became an A-1, fairy guaranteed danger meter.  She picked it up and pointed it at the blue door and the needle registered EXTREME DANGER.  Frightened she moved the meter on the light green door.  MILD DANGER it said.  The red door registered GREAT DANGER and so it went until she came to the white door.  NO DANGER read the meter.  Melisande opened it and walked through. 

          The room she walked into was her own bedroom; at least an exact replica of it.  The sheer pale pink netting that fell softly around her bed glowed faintly in the moonlight that streamed through her open window; the tapestries adorning her walls added a feeling of warmth to the spacious room; a few dolls were scattered on ledges here and there, gifts from her parents; and her favorite rocking chair over by the window…

          “Mother!” Melisande cried as she rushed toward the figure of the Queen, rocking in the chair in the corner.  She was holding the note that Melisande had left when going after Matthew.  “Oh, Mother.  I’m so glad to see you!” she shouted with joy.  “Mother?”  At that moment she realized that this was all an illusion and that Farrinda had succeeded in making her waste precious time.  She walked through the room and opened the bedroom door, entering the black tunnel once again.

 

CHAPTER TWELVE

 

          As she walked within the blackness, the mirror of Galanor her only light, she heard someone whisper.  She quickly stopped and flattened herself against the wall, forgetting that she was still invisible.  Silence.  Then it came to her again.  She couldn’t quite make out the words, but the voice sounded distinctly familiar.  She walked farther, cautiously looking for any signs of Farrinda, and listened intently for that voice.  It came to her again, and this time she could hear what it said.

          “Melisand”, Matthew cried inside his head, “help me.”  He concentrated hard on reaching his sister, his twin.  He thought that somehow their closeness and the things that they had learned from the fairy people would allow her to hear him.  It was his last hope.

          Already his skin had darkened to a pale black and his arms had lengthened until his pointy nails scraped the floor.  Wings had forced their way out of his back and lay folded along his body.  The only thing that remained unchanged was the light that still shone in the depths of his eyes.  And even that was getting steadily weaker.  He could only hope that she would hear him before it was too late.

          “Matthew!” Melisande whispered when she recognized the voice.  “Where are you?”  As she walked farther his voice got louder and she realized she was hearing it in her head.  She stopped and concentrated.  “Where are you?” she asked again, only this time in her mind.  There was only silence.  Melisande tried again, concentrating harder this time.

          “I’m not sure”, came the reply.  “I think I’m in a room off of the tunnel.”  Melisande walked faster through the tunnel, each step bringing her closer to her brother.  The tunnel became darker and darker the closer she got, a black fog billowing around her until she could barely see, even with the Mirror of Galanor held out in front of her.  Soon she had to top; the fog became so thick she couldn’t see anymore.  She remembered the rainbow beans and reached into the pocket of her breeches.  The beans in her hand were a variety of colors and she read them one by one to find the right one that would help her.  She settled on a brilliant purple one.  It’s tag read: “Strong wind.  Need a gust?  Break me open, in me you can trust!”

          Melisande broke open the bean and threw it in front of her.  Suddenly a breeze sprung up and that slowly turned into a gale.  It blew and blew, remaining in front of her so she could walk behind it.  It blew away all the fog that had blocked her way and continued to blow so that it couldn’t come back. 

 

          She heard Matthew calling to her and knew she was very close to where he was.  “Matthew, is Farrinda with you?” she asked, knowing that if she wasn’t, she would be soon.

          “No”, he answered, hope in his voice because he felt her near.  She walked slowly, knowing she could easily miss the door in the darkness.  She felt she was getting closer.  Closer.  There it was, carved into the side of the tunnel, barely noticeable.  She opened the door and walked in.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

 

          Matthew sat facing the door, his arms and legs bound to a chair in the middle of the room.  He watched Melisande come through the door and saw the look of shock that came over her face.  She wasn’t ready to see him like this.

          “Matthew?” she asked.  “Is that you?”  She walked a few steps closer and looked into his eyes.

          “Yes, it’s me”, he whispered, “barely.  Look what she did to me!”

          As those words came out of his mouth, Farrinda appeared through a back doorway  “Now I’ve got you both!” she laughed.  “You’ll never go home.  You’ll both be my servants forever!”  She danced a little dance and tee-heed at Melisande

          Before Melisande could move toward Farrinda, Matthew jumped up from the chair, the fake ropes disappearing in a puff of smoke, and grabbed her, his claws digging into her arms.

          “Matthew!” she shouted, “What are you doing?”

          The light that had shone in his eyes had now completely gone out and he whispered, “I’m getting you for my master.”

         

“Your what?  Matthew, no!”  Melisande struggled inside his grasp, but he only held her tighter.

“How do you like your brother?  A pretty little thing, isn’t he?”  Farrinda grinned, showing her pointy teeth.  “Soon you’ll look just like him.  Twins until the end, eh?”

Melisande stretched her fingers out, feeling her pocket.  She was able to get her fingers in just far enough to reach one of the beans.  Not knowing what it would do, she reached back and crushed it into Matthew’s pocket.  Almost immediately he began to scream.  He clawed at his pocket to remove the bean, but it was too late.  The bean was a blizzard and instantly froze him into a big block of ice.

Farrinda couldn’t believe what she had done.  She had doomed her own brother to certain death.  How could she?  Why would Melisande do such a thing?

          Because she was deep in thought, she didn’t see the Princess reach into her pocket again for the hornet hair.  Before Farrinda could do anything, Melisande threw it at her.  She was immediately rooted to the spot.

          “What have you done?” she screamed.  “I can’t move!  I demand that you let me go!”

          “You haven’t let me brother go, why should I let you go?”

          “Oh, you rotten child.  I’ll get you for this!  You’ll never have your brother back to normal unless you let me go!”  Farrinda tried and tried, but the only thing she could move was her mouth.

          “Okay”, Melisande said.  “I’ll let you go if you’ll look into this mirror.  Deal?”        

          “It must be a trick, he?  I’ll look into the mirror and there’ll be no more Farrinda.  It’ll put a spell on me!”

          Melisande sadly shook her head.  She felt sorry for the little fairy and just wanted to make her normal again.  “Remember how happy you once were Farrinda?  Remember how beautiful you used to be?  Remember how good you were?  I just want to make you happy.  All you have to do is look in the mirror and I’ll let you go.  Okay?”

          Seeing that she really had no other choice, Farrinda agreed.  Melisande brought the mirror to her and Farrinda gazed into it.  Galanor’s Mirror glowed with alight and within it shown a face more beautiful than anything Melisande had ever seen.

          “That’s not me!” she cried.  “Look at me!  That doesn’t look anything like me!”

          “That’s how you really look, Farrinda, deep down inside.  That’s the

 

real you”

          “No!” she screamed.  But even as she screamed she peered closer to the mirror, looked closer at the beautiful fairy inside.  “She’s…  She’s beautiful”, she finally whispered.

          “So are you”, Melisande told her.

          “Am I?  Really?” Farrinda said and turned toward Melisande, the hornet hair spell broken.

          “Yes, you are.  And I like you.”

          “You like me?  How can you like me after all I’ve done to you and your brother; to your family?”

          “Because I know it wasn’t the real you.  This is the real you.”  Melisande held up the mirror again so Farrinda could see into it, and Farrinda smiled.  At that moment the evil spell was lifted and before her stood the fairy she and Matthew had met in the forest.

          “Thank you!  Oh, thank you so much!  How can I ever repay you?”  Her voice sounded like little bells as she spoke.

          “Is there any way you can help Matthew?  Will he stay like this forever?”  Tears as big as marbles rolled down Melisande’s cheeks and landed on Matthew’s frozen body.

 

          “Hush  now”, Farrinda whispered.  “Everything will be just fine.”  She bent over Matthew and touched her finger to one of Melisande’s tears.  A warm red light glowed from the spot she touched and soon covered Matthew from head to toe.  The ice vanished into thin air and Matthew opened his eyes.  Farrinda reached or Melisande’s hand.  When she grasped it, the love and affection flowed through the little fairy and into Matthew.  Before their eyes he was changed back into her brother once again.

          “You’ve helped me so much”, Farrinda said.  “Is there anything else I can do to make it up to you?”

          “Just come with us to the fairy council”, Matthew said as he stood up from the floor.

          “Okay”, she said.  “I know I must go there and face everyone for what I’ve done.”

          “They’re not going to punish you”, Matthew replied.  “They’ll just be glad that you’re back to normal again.”

 

 

 

 

 

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

 

          The three of them walked out of the tunnel and into the sunlight.  As soon as they were outside, Melisande called her friends.  “Brim!  Trassa!  Elsander!  Jern!  We’re here!”  In moments they appeared, and the council was with them.

          Randar spoke.  “I believe we should take this matter before the King.  I’m sure he’ll want to see his children.  He’s waited a long, long time.”

          When they reached the castle the twins ran inside, calling to their parents.  “Papa!  Mama!  We’re home!”

          When the King and Queen finally arrived, the children couldn’t believe how old they had become.  King Daniel had a long beard reaching down to this chest and it was mostly gray.  Queen Alexandra’s hair was pur white and her wrinkles showed her age.

          “They hugged their children fiercely and told them how much they loved them.  It was a dream come true.

          “But why have you grown so old?” the children asked.  “We haven’t been gone very long.”

          “Oh, but you have”, they replied.  “If you’ll remember, fairy time is

 

much different from our own.  You’ve been gone 35 years.  We thought we’d never see you again.  We’re so glad we were wrong.”

          The King and Queen forgave Farrinda and were glad to see that her evil spell had been broken and she was good once again.  They held a weeklong celebration for the Prince and Princess and the fairy kingdom rejoiced.  Once again, peace ruled the land.

 

 

         

                  

 

 

 

         

 

 

                  

 

 

 

 

© 2009 Melissa Kesead


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
Added on March 16, 2009
Last Updated on April 14, 2009

Author

Melissa Kesead
Melissa Kesead

Key West, FL



About
I am a wife and mother of two young children who give me ideas for books constantly. I live in Key West, Florida and when I'm not writing I enjoy fishing, lobstering and being on the water whenever p.. more..

Writing