Our Last trip together...

Our Last trip together...

A Story by Maria
"

My mom always loved the beach and in the year, 2013, we went to a beach resort with her and my daughter. At that time, I still had no clue about her cancer, and she never said a word.

"
   I will never forget 
those days, that we spent at the beach resort, 
with you Mom.  I can still remember your laughter, and how much you had  looked forward to the trip.
  You were on top of every little thing; the tickets, credit card, clothing, swimming suits, right amount of 
clothing and so forth.  I admit that during these times, I would get annoyed at you, but even then I would do as you say.  We would bicker back and forth about stupid things, yet in the end, once we arrived to our destination, all had been forgotten.
   And you were like a child, that could not wait to show us, all that was there awaiting for us.  We dropped off our stuff in the room, and picked where each would sleep, and since we already had our swimming suits on, we just grabbed the towels, and took off to the pools and sand.  We picked some chairs, and you laid down, as we made our way to the pool. You made sure to remind us about putting sunscreen on, and off we went.  I was marveled at everything.  And part of me wanted to be with you, but your granddaughter, was wanting to show me some things too. So, I let you know that we would walk a bit, and come back, and asked if you were ok.  As I look back, I can recall, seeing a hint of sadness in your eyes, yet you knew that we would not always be with you, so you smiled and told me to be careful.
   After some time, I went back and you were awake, I asked if you were thirsty, and you said that you knew where to get a drink, and off you went.  You came back carrying drinks for all of us, and we each took a sip, and I asked if you would go for a swim.  You said, you would in a bit.  I do recall, seeing you a tad tired, but you never said a word.  And than we took off  to the beach.  It was getting late in the afternoon, and the sun was starting to set.  We all got in, and you started swimming around and we would race you.
  Just before the sun set, I ran out and grabbed your camera and started taking pictures.  Both you and her would get annoyed at my picture taking.  And after that we got out to go get ready for dinner.  I never dreamed that this would be your very last time, at this resort, nor that you were living your last years upon this earth.
   I wish I could have done things differently and been more stern with your granddaughter to be with you more on this trip.  You cherished each moment, and we had a great time.  After we got home, I would always show you the pictures I took, and you would make funny remarks on some, and or congratulate me on some others.  And from the pictures I took, this one, was your favorite one. You loved it, and had wanted to have it printed out, and we never got around to doing so.  And in the end, from all the trips we ever made, this one last trip, that we made with you, will always be cherished above all others.  And God knew than that it would be your last time there, but we had no clue. You perhaps, had an inkling but never complained nor said a word about it being unfair.
   And so that day, I captured many things, but this one picture, you loved above all, and that in itself, make this one picture, worth more than a million a dollars, as you gave it your approval and were proud of my photo taking skills.  I love you so much, it still hurts, yet its been almost 7 months, since I last saw you and held onto your frail body, as your Soul was taken from this earth.
   Thank you for all that you taught me and its ok, I know now, why some things never were as they should have been and you did your best, in protecting me and my brother and even your granddaughter from much.
                    This picture was taken in Decameron Salinitas, Beach Resort, El Salvador, Central America.

© 2017 Maria


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

First, let me offer my condolences becuz such a loss goes on for a long time, I'm sure (((HUGS))) Your telling of the final scene is so bittersweet & suspenseful, going thru this without knowing the end was so near, I can't even imagine how that must feel, but in your writing you are clear in sharing how it felt. So many times we wish we could have paid more attention to this & that, when we are spending time with someone, but we never imagine it could be the last opportunity. You've painted this with all the feelings you must've felt . . . I'm sorry for the situation, but it led to an excellent piece of sincere writing! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 20, 2017
Last Updated on August 20, 2017
Tags: mother, love, family, memories, hurt, sadness, joy

Author

Maria
Maria

Fairfax, VA



About
I write from my heart, soul and mind. Sharing both past and present trials, that I have faced and or am facing. I believe strongly in God and the Bible, yet I respect everyone's views. I myself am no.. more..

Writing
My Punishment My Punishment

A Story by Maria


My Scars My Scars

A Poem by Maria