He must be something special

He must be something special

A Story by merinxd
"

Lucy is left on her own after the war & she needs to find a job. Luckily for her she has a rich stranger looking out for her. Most call him the Earl of Lytton, but his name is Matthew, & he has plans.

"

Lucy was from a working family that laboured and toiled. Before 1914 her brother, Ben, worked at the docks while her father was a foreman at the biggest industry in town. The sky was filled with smog and the air was black from the coal; which was good. During that time Lucy’s family needed money, and coal meant there was food on the table. Then the First World War came and the lives of many were turned upside down. Lucy's family suffered like others, with rations, the loss of their home, loss of income, and the death of loved ones. Lucy was thrust out of school and into the workforce. Like her mother, she had to find means of supporting herself. It was 1915 when Ben and her father left. Her brother made it all the way until 1917, where the rats and disease took the men's lives just as much as enemy fire. He died a hero and a leader. She didn’t know about her father’s demise.

Lucy missed them both very much.

In a matter of years, Lucy's family went from being whole and steady, to being incomplete and on the brink of seeking unsavoury means.

Then things started to look up. Almost magically, her mother was offered work in a scullery in London; there wasn't a position, nor was there room for Lucy. They wrote often these days, and perhaps she would ask her mother to visit.

It was strange how circumstances could change at the drop of a hat. Before, Lucy had nowhere to stay and nowhere to work. She prayed for help. She prayed for Ben…and he listened.

The agency contacted Lucy a week after her mother’s departure on behalf of a Matthew Lytton �" The Earl of Lytton. Lucy wasn’t certain what job she was being hired for but she accepted the invitation gratefully. She knew the man that was requesting her; he was Ben’s comrade. Her brother depicted Matthew as a man of honour, and a good friend. He had mentioned that Matthew was of means, but he didn't say how wealthy he was.

Lucy realised just how wealthy the Earl was when she first saw Lytton Estate. The land was massive and the manor stood tall. Lucy missed her carriage from the station and consequently had to walk to the fringes of town. Luckily, no strangers stopped her and she got there without a fuss.

Lucy found her way to the Lytton Estate before dinnertime on August 12, 1919; her letter of employment requested her arrival on that date, and Lucy was pleased to make it.

The air was cold and typical for that time of evening. She could still see the manor in the soft light, and boy was it a sight! The great, hulking, stone building was shaped rather rectangularly; it was basked in the golden pink hues of the retreating sun; it was beautiful. In the heart of winter she was certain this place would still be a wonder.

Lucy was taken in through the servant’s entrance and she reported to the housekeeper. The butler was present and he seemed like a nice chap.

Lucy marvelled at the extremely loud harmony that was achieved in the scullery. The cook's assistant was quick and sharp-witted, as was the head cook. There were kitchen hands that flitted to and fro following orders like it was an art. It was a lively kitchen, but it still looked much safer than working in top house. Lucy would rather stay with her own kind, though she suspected that she would be hired as a maid, despite her education; she was considered quite pretty with her blonde hair and blue eyes, and no manor wanted unsightly help.

That night the housekeeper gave Lucy a questioning look that suggested she was unsatisfied. Her superior, Mrs Tidwall, went through the rules, which were agreeable but rather strict. Lucy ate her bread and butter, and was sent to her bed. She had to share with two girls until ‘arrangements could be made’, Mrs Tidwall said.

Strangely enough, Lucy wasn't set to work. The servants avoided her, in fact, and the housekeeper declined to give Lucy occupation to pass the time. She spent many hours walking the grounds and reading the same book over. There was a library upstairs but Lucy did not venture there; she wouldn't dare.

"Excuse me Ma'am, may I ask if I'm to work today?" Lucy asked Mrs Tidwall politely, with her head lowered in respect. She had waited until there was no one around.

"When the Master returns." Came the housekeeper's reply and Lucy nodded in acceptance. She had heard those words before, and she hoped that Matthew would come back soon. Of course, when she met him she would not call him by his given name; that would be grounds for termination.

It took five long days for the Earl to appear. Lucy was fretted over and lectured at length about how to address the Earl. Her airs and graces were looked at, and she was given a new set of clothes. She learned the correct manner in which to sit, stand, to speak only when spoken to, and the correct way to curtsy.

And so it was with trembling hands that Lucy entered the upstairs sitting room. It was bright up there, and the drapes reached the high ceiling magnificently. The room was filled with royal red, and gold fringed the walls. There was a grand piano in front of the bay window, and Lucy looked at the instrument longingly; she wondered what it would be like to learn.

A throat cleared and she remembered why she was there.

Slowly, her gaze shifted to the cream coloured settee, where a man sat. His hands were folded in his lap and he had one leg crossed over the other, as gentlemen seemed to do. His suit was crisp and a deep grey, and his waistcoat was a darker shade; it highlighted his black hair perfectly. This man wasn't like any that she had seen before: his hair was long and although he had a timepiece and shined shoes, he didn't feel like the other toffs she had seen.

Though, to be fair, Lucy's experience was minimal.

His dark gaze was sharp and his jaw was angular. This man was a beauty all of his own, and Lucy imagined that he had broken many hearts.

She felt a flutter in her chest as a smile rose to his face.

"Hello, Lucy." The master spoke and Lucy felt guilty for hearing him. His voice was rich and velvety and did something to her that she couldn't explain.

Lucy knew that it was customary to reply in greeting, and she curtseyed to the best of her ability. Lowering her head she responded,

"Good afternoon, sir."

"Are you well?" He asked.

"I'm well sir, thank you very much for asking." She said meekly and the Earl made a clicking noise with his tongue.

"You're afraid of me." He frowned and stood.

With a slow fluidity, Matthew approached Lucy, who was standing at the edge of the room.  

"You needn't be." He said, stopping in front of her. They were at least three feet apart and Matthew reduced it by taking another step forward.

He held out his hand for her to take.

"Would you like to sit?" He motioned to the settee. "I have some things we're to discuss."

Lucy looked from the Earl to the sitting area. She only just noticed the tea that was waiting to be served, and Lucy felt anticipation in her bones.

She was starting to think that this wasn't a typical meeting.

Still, she could not risk losing this position, or the opportunity to learn more about her brother's comrade.

"Okay." Lucy addressed Matthew, and her hand slipped into his, which was held up in front of her.

The Earl was ever the gentleman as he led her to sit. He requested the maid pour their tea before he dismissed her from the room.

They were all alone.

He took a seat across from her, sitting back regally. Matthew clicked his tongue in thought and gave Lucy a look the she would categorise as confusing.

"It would please me if we were to talk freely." He said.

"I can do that, sir."

Matthew nodded once, noting her acceptance, and he frowned.

"Your brother called me by my name."

Lucy wasn't sure if he was implying that she call him so as well, but she would act as if he had, "I'm sorry, sir. I couldn't possibly."

Matthew's eyes narrowed and his chin tilted upwards as he observed her. He didn't speak and Lucy wondered if she was in trouble.

"I think you have misunderstood my reasons for bringing you here." He said eventually.

Lucy felt confused.

"The agency contacted me." She said. Lucy was beginning to feel perplexed.

"I apologise." He said. "I must confess that I have been keeping an eye on you since my return to England. As you know, the agency contacted you on my behalf. However, you are not here as staff."

Lucy was even more confused. She was relying on this job and if he wasn't going to give it to her, what was she doing here? She felt despair start to fill her. She'd lost her father and brother, and her mother was so far away.

Lucy really needed this job.

"Please sir, I really need this position. As you know, my father and brother passed in the war and I am on my own." Lucy couldn't believe that she was on the brink of begging, but she had to implore him; this was supposed to be a sign from Ben.

The Earl frowned, and his lips thinned. Lucy felt afraid that he was going to tip her out, but he didn't.

Instead, Matthew shook his head, and his hair fell over his eyes. He brushed it back and let out a short sigh.

"Lucy, I'm going to be explicit." He warned. She could tell that the Earl was not a man of patience; if she were to stay, she'd have to remember that.

Matthew didn't stay where he was. He got up and rounded the low set table. He sat down beside Lucy, and turned to face her. His expression was as straight as his posture. 

"Your brother sacrificed his life for me." Matthew explained. He frowned as he remembered. "Before the end, I made Ben a promise that I'd look after you."

There was a pause and Lucy realised that she had forgotten to breathe. Her heart clenched at the memory of Ben.

"I haven't brought you here to hire you.” Matthew continued on. “You're my guest, but I will be frank in saying that I have intentions."

"Intentions?" Lucy asked.

What did the Earl mean?

His jaw tightened and loosened, and he tilted his head to look her in the eye.

"You may not come from wealth or prominence, but you are beautiful and your brother was my truest friend. You might not be able to love me, but I'm sure that you could care for me…what I mean to say is -" He took a breath. "I should like to make you my wife."

"I �"" Lucy stammered, and her heart was beating fast. For a moment she could look only at the generous man in front of her.

"This is unexpected." She decided upon, and it felt like an understatement. She had heard about women marrying into money but she never imagined that she would be one of them. Lucy always thought she'd marry for love...

The Earl was patient and he let her think for a moment. Lucy felt safe in this place, even though she had only been there for a short time. She didn't know this man, who her brother died for, but Ben must have thought Matthew something special.

Lucy frowned.

“May I ask you how do you feel about women in the workforce?” She asked.

Matthew smiled a small smile and he spoke honestly, “I think that we do what we do for necessity. If a woman is required to work, she must work.” He paused. “If you were to be my wife you needn’t work. However, if there is an endeavour or a cause that you would like to take up, I see no harm in it.”

Lucy nodded. It could be worse, plenty of men would have laughed and dismissed her.

“And our relationship?” She questioned. “Would you care for me?” For Lucy, this was very important.

Matthew met her eyes, and he spoke deliberately, reaching for Lucy’s hand that lay upon the lounge. His fingers were warm.

“I would care for you, Lucy. I would love you, even…in time.”

“In time…” Lucy repeated. Yes, time changed everything. A few years ago life was completely different. Perhaps things would be different in a few years as well.  

Like being in love…

Lucy looked to Matthew’s face and took in his beauty; he was handsome in a way that other men were not. The Earl had long lashes, angular cheekbones, and a sharp nose. He would breed beautiful children. She met his eyes, which were a deep brown that seemed almost black, and Lucy made a rather impulsive decision.

But it didn't feel wrong.

She repeated, "In time…I think I could love you." Lucy paused, wanting to offer an explanation. "My brother saved your life, and he spoke of you fondly. I'd like to trust you.” Lucy looked down to where his hand held hers.

She squeezed his fingers.

Matthew's surprise was quick and he looked at her so deeply that Lucy felt naked. When he found what he was looking for, he smiled.

"Perhaps we could start with something small. My name is Matthew." He said, smiling charmingly.

Lucy felt nervous as she replied, "Good afternoon, Matthew. I'm Lucy."

Matthew's smile grew.

"Lucy -" He said it like he was hearing it for the first time; her name was almost a question upon his lips. She liked the way it sounded.

"That is a beautiful name." Matthew said.

Lucy smiled, and as she thanked him, she wondered where they would be in a few years time.

 

© 2015 merinxd


Author's Note

merinxd
This story has not been betad. I hope you enjoy :) Thanks for reading.
This is my first period style fiction so I hope I did okay!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
Added on March 9, 2015
Last Updated on March 14, 2015
Tags: romance, 19th century, fiction, general audiences, short story, practice

Author

merinxd
merinxd

Townsville, QLD, Australia



About
I'm a fiction writer who started writing fanfiction in the Harry Potter fandom. I study History and English at university. I write romance mostly and enjoy different genres. Erotic fiction is some.. more..