Hidden in Sight

Hidden in Sight

A Story by Mia Steele
"

A bizarre scary story that tells the tale of a young boy and the monster he doesn't know has been hidden right near him.

"
Sitting in the small suburban-house bedroom on the second floor, there was a boy- twelve years old- on the bed. Anyone looking in from the carved wooden doorway would have agreed at the statement that there was a single person in the room. The boy, too, would have declared confidently that he was the only one in his bedroom (and considering his age, he might have rolled his eyes too). 
However, if a doctor had been able to do a sonogram test on that bedroom on that day, he would have found two heartbeats being emitted from the confines of the small adolescent child's bedroom.
Tommy had just come home from school, and the only thing on his mind was that he had to have one of his parents sign the test he had failed (long division was just too hard). He didn't notice the ruffled bed sheets, or the odd water spill near his bedroom window. He threw his backpack angrily at the wall and sat down on his bed, getting comfortable. His plans for the day were to make playlists of horrible music to listen to and blast once his parents got home, and after they looked at his quiz- although he was also considering just forging one of their signatures. They would kill him if they knew how bad he was doing in math class. They wanted him to become a doctor or something one day (yeah, right). 
Once he was lying down on the bed, he realized with some annoyance that the bag of chips he had hidden in his room was on the other side, by his never-ever-used desk. So he trudged to the other side, grabbed the chips, and then slunk back down into his place. He thrust headphones onto his ears, and couldn't hear the sound of the breathing underneath him that became increasingly audible as time went on. 
Dinner came- tonight Tommy was happy with their supper, though- usually he is bored by it and can't wait to leave, but tonight his mom had ordered four pizzas to celebrate something at work that Tommy didn't pay attention to. He devoured the pizza before secluding himself in his bedroom again. He stayed up for hours- at least to the extent that a twelve-year-old would stay up- before starting to get tired, and passing out in the middle of his bed, over the covers, surrounded by his open laptop and half a bag of potato chips. The room remained still for a few minutes after that, until the being from under his bed began to move, and try to leave from its temporary home. It was too large to get out comfortably. It banged and jostled, but Tommy didn't stir (as most prepubescent boys tend to do). 
The creature finally crept out from under the bed, and reached its head out to look at Tommy sleeping atop the bed. He licked his lips, taking in the boy's curved bone structure, thick brown hair, and long ears more than any other details.
But before the creature could finish, the door opened and Tommy's mother and father walked in. The creature slithered back quickly into its refuge.

They crept in as silently as they could, not wanting to disturb. If Tommy or the creature beneath heard them, surely they would be in a state of panic. The woman then nodded to her husband in agreement, and the man leaned down under his sons bed, and used his large forked tongue to grab and strangle the creature underneath, who had been sent there by a mysterious stranger to "protect" the child without him knowing, since he had no idea the kind of "danger" he was in. 
His "parents" then leaned over him and sniffed in the precious wisps of pizza and chips- fatty foods that made the taste of human all the better. Where were his real parents? Already devoured. He was the last to go. The creature had failed, but the two monsters in place of regular human citizens would not. They opened up their mouths and allowed themselves to fully consume the child- soul, meat, and all. It was delicious.

© 2015 Mia Steele


Author's Note

Mia Steele
I know it's weird, possibly too stupid. Tell me if that's so!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow. I am speachless. I felt like I was holding my breath the whole time. I kinda had an inkling that some thing was off, with the parents...the boy was having trouble with long division, and they don't bother, to take the time to teach the poor child. The monsters! Haha I really enjoyed this.. thrilling and engrossing read. Thank you!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mia Steele

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for this insightful review! I'm glad you were able to get into the story- that's t.. read more



Reviews

Wow. I am speachless. I felt like I was holding my breath the whole time. I kinda had an inkling that some thing was off, with the parents...the boy was having trouble with long division, and they don't bother, to take the time to teach the poor child. The monsters! Haha I really enjoyed this.. thrilling and engrossing read. Thank you!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mia Steele

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for this insightful review! I'm glad you were able to get into the story- that's t.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

270 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 14, 2015
Last Updated on November 14, 2015
Tags: monster, boys, strange, unlikely, scary

Author

Mia Steele
Mia Steele

About
Young- but not too young. Tall- but not too tall. Spent most of my childhood writing a book series in notebooks that in end was just about me with another name- like a diary. So I realized I might .. more..

Writing