On The Balcony

On The Balcony

A Poem by Michael Iam Bone
"

This poem is a reflection upon life's meaning. To set the tone, please listen to this in the background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb-fQ_9UUMo

"
Life...

But a fleeting moment in the passage of time, I can't help but wonder...

How much does it really matter?...

These hands... what are these hands for?...


I look outside atop my balcony, and I look down upon the masses in the square.

They walk, they talk, they eat, they sleep... And I think...

I think of their struggles. I think of their worries. I think of their fears.

"Is this life?" I ask myself, "Is this the fate of the many?..."

I look up towards the buildings, and through the windows, I see men.

But these men, these men... are sleeping?... They're dreaming...

I continue my gaze farther up, eventually reaching the tops

Of the illustrious buildings that tower above the square.

I squint harshly against the sun's glare that reflects against the windows,

Managing to peer inside of one of the large buildings.

A group of men stand there. They seem... angry... distressed. They too are looking out their window.

One of them then gestures towards the square, causing one of the other men to storm out of the room.

The rest of them stop for a moment, but then carry on, talking to each other for quite a while.

This begins to lose my interest, and eventually I realize I have been staring into the buildings for quite a long time.

I decide to watch the square again, but after looking down I discover everyone has already left!

Curious to know what time it is, I quickly turn to the sky, and notice that it is nearly twilight.

I smile, for it is my favorite time of the day, and anticipate the sight I'm about to behold...


...The sun beckons, wishing his dutiful goodbye, and kisses the horizon,

His final rays bathing the earth's sky with lavender and gold.

The moon hearkens, slowly and silently fading into the sky to take her brother's place.

The sun, just before leaving, is given but a moment, and brushes her cheek before fading beneath the earth...


I watch this amazing spectacle, counted in minutes, experienced in moments, never stopping.

It seemed to last but a second, and yet... I would rather have that one second than a lifetime in the square...

It was then, on the balcony, that life no longer was a mystery, nor a struggle.

Rather, it was an opportunity to savor.

© 2017 Michael Iam Bone


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I felt I was there with you on that balchony. I can relate to this so well..I guess every writer would. Those moments you just look around you and a tiny grain of dust brings so much word to spill into ink...Deep.I enjoyed this.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

237 Views
1 Review
Added on October 30, 2016
Last Updated on February 19, 2017
Tags: Society, Life, purpose, meaning, moon, sun, twilight, time, poem, poetry, struggle, Majority, Corruption, Greed, Love, Nature, City, Happiness, Greek, Mythology

Author

Michael Iam Bone
Michael Iam Bone

Altoona, IA



About
I am a writer, and I currently write mostly poetry. I hope to expand and do more later on to improve my craft and have more material to share with others. I would be glad to receive any input or advic.. more..

Writing