For Angie

For Angie

A Poem by Midnight Shadow
"

A poem I wrote for my love, my life, my wife...Angie.

"

Nerves like I’ve never felt before…
Screaming, shaking, soft serenades gone askew.
Her eyes lock into mine
Turning my words into whispers…
Stealing my breath.
Words.
I’m usually able to wield them wildly with an air of abandon.
But now they fail me.
No subtle combination of consonants or vowels can encapsulate the intensity of my feelings.
The warm April air surrounds us.
Stale and still, in the parking lot of Pancho’s.
What was to be our last good-bye…
What to say?
To tell her anything of my heart’s wishes would be a betrayal…
To tell her of my tears from the nights before at the mere thought of this farewell,
Tears flowing beyond my will for hours into the beginning breaths of the morning.
To tell her about the length of my longing and the depths of my desire…
To tell her these things would be to abandon the bond of friendship formed between us.
To selfishly surrender the one string tying us together, even if, for too brief a moment.
To tell her this, would be asking her to choose me.
To let go of her impending future.
Turn her back on promises set to be made and vows yet to be taken, and choose me.
me.  
Me?
A scarred shadow of the soul mate I know that I am.
A fractured fit to her indescribable nature.
…She breaks from my eyes as I stir in my silence…
Moving in…
Her arms are like tender waves of angelic bliss enveloping me warmly as she pulls me into her.
And I am lost further beyond the articulation I was so counting on to convey the truth of my love.
But there is something forgiving and familiar in her embrace.
…The heart beat skipping in unison with my own.
…The breathe drawn short.
…The linger.
Oh my gods, the linger.
So many verses, countless in volume and eloquence, could be written on this lasting lingering embrace.
Too beautiful for the world in which this magnificent moment occurred.
And my breath found a whisper…
“I never want to let you go.”
The words escaped passed my insecure judgment and sprang off of my tongue and beyond my lips.
Carrying so much with them out into the newly blowing breeze.
Suddenly my words were met with a whisper from her…
“I know.”
My heart stops!
Blood thins into vapors and every inch of my flesh ripples and grows cold!
She draws back and again our eyes meet.
I recognize in a second the look reflecting deep within them.
She leans into me once more and her lips press firmly against mine…
I’m lost in the moment to good to be true…
…Still waiting for my breath to return ten years later!
 

© 2008 Midnight Shadow


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I can't stop smiling. This is simply beautiful and the imagery is vivid and heart wrenching. You crafted your words wonderfully to show such a deep love that's very hard for a person to find. Excellent job man!

Posted 16 Years Ago


What a beautiful tribute to your wife and the love you share! I love the pacing of this poem, it gave your writing the feel of being in that moment, when everything is happening so quickly and your heart is pounding, but oh how you don't want that moment to ever end. So much passion in this...gorgeous from beginning to end.

I found these lines to be particularly stirring and beautifully described -

"So many verses, countless in volume and eloquence, could be written on this lasting lingering embrace.
Too beautiful for the world in which this magnificent moment occurred.
And my breath found a whisper�
"I never want to let you go.""

Gorgeous just gorgeous.

Posted 16 Years Ago


This is a beautiful poem!! i really enjoyed reading it. you really showcased your love for your wife in this piece. my favorite line would have to be "still wailting for my breath to return ten years later" so beautiful!
keep on writing
laceyjane

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 2, 2008
Last Updated on March 4, 2008

Author

Midnight Shadow
Midnight Shadow

Manitou Springs, CO



About
I'm a married, vegan, writer who scribbles scripts, pens poems, and has nearly completed novels. I've got a furry family of four, and we live at the base of Pike's Peak in Manitou Springs Colorado. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..