Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Mister Suede
"

A description of the history of Fractured Reality, hidden in a bit of narrative.

"

            SEPTEMBER 27, 2277

    PROJECT BACKDRAFT’S ACTIVATION

 

 

                        The machine truly was magnificent; Kurtis couldn’t deny it. It had taken years of hard work and research (not all of which were in a row), but Project Backdraft had finally been completed. The machine before him, if all went according to the decades-old specifications and blueprints, would be able to create a rift in the fabric of the universe, enabling man to travel through time and enter entirely different dimensions.

                        Kurtis Bontrager was one of the only surviving physicists left, gathered by the remnants of the human race in order to revive the project. The intent of Backdraft, in the beginning, hadn’t originally been military in the slightest, and in fact was intended simply for observational purposes. The chance to accurately and confidently record history was one that historians throughout time would have given anything for. This machine would allow for the most accurate historical data in, ironically, history. Had it been allowed to continue, it would have changed nearly everything.

                        However, a cataclysmic event late in the year 2189 that became known as the Great Catastrophe stopped Backdraft dead in its tracks. A nuclear war that threatened much of the world erupted, caused by rising animosity between the militaristic and extremely violent terrorist cell known simply as Vyper, and the United States of America. The excess radiation and relatively huge effective blast ranges of the highly advanced nuclear weaponry left the entire world in disarray, the few survivors moving into deep underground bunkers. The effects of the attacks were devastating. Human society completely collapsed, and any creatures that survived the attacks mutated rapidly through their generations. When the human survivors finally resurfaced, nothing was the same.

                        The impact was instantaneous: Living on Earth became a constant struggle for survival. Between consuming heavily irradiated food and water, to fighting off hordes of mutated organisms, humanity began to lose hope for a better future. That was, until the few surviving scientists were told of the abandoned schematics for the so-called Project Backdraft, scavenged by a tech-savvy looter that was scrounging the wasteland. It was quite possibly the only way to ensure the safety of the human race, a wormhole generator that would, theoretically, allow its users to move between time and space. Though it was a longshot at best, the desperation of humanity had finally reached its limits, so they immediately set to work. Humanity united under one common goal: Escape their current reality in every literal sense of the phrase.

                        And Kurtis was standing in the very room where it had been recreated.

                        Kurtis took in the dimly lit metallic room, filled with computer screens, consoles, and exposed wire and cable strewn about. In front of him stood the machine, a huge, arc-shaped metallic structure, with two large console screens on each side. Looking to his right, he saw Eliza Strong. She was one of the few remaining physicists, and was heading the project along with him. At a safe distance from the arc, lining the outer wall of the room, was the closest that humanity could come to ‘official representatives’ at that point: people that were trusted mainly because of reputation and stature.

                        Eliza turned to address them all. “Hello, everyone. It’s finally time to unveil Project Backdraft. We’ve waited long and worked hard to achieve this; if all goes according to plan, we will have ensured the safety and longevity of the human race for, hopefully, many more years to come,” she said, turning around and touching a series of dropdown menus on the touchpad. She turned her head to Kurtis, gave him an encouraging smile, and then put her hand on a large activation lever next to the console. Kurtis did the same. “The road here has been difficult and fraught with hardships, but we prevailed before and we will again. With Backdraft at our side, we’ll be able to inhabit entirely new worlds and free ourselves from the confines of this desolate wasteland,” she gestured toward the large arcs with both hands, “So… Without further adieu, let’s start it up.”

                        Kurtis and Eliza both tightened their grip on the levers, nodding to one another. After a quick glance around the room, they began the brief countdown. “3… 2… 1… Start,” they said in unison.

                        Kurtis and Eliza slammed down the levers, and then stepped back. For a few seconds, all anyone heard was the soft whirring of the electronics around them, and then the lights went out, followed by a loud clunk. The consoles lit up, the loading procedures activating, software initiating. And then it happened.

                        The arcs lit up, edges glowing a bright, bright blue, brilliant as the sky. In the center, a large, circular, dark purple shape appeared, slowly growing. Kurtis stared, open-mouthed. This is really happening… We really did it…

                        What they discovered on the other side of the portal was unlike anything they had ever seen.

                        A world completely unlike their own, with flora and fauna that was foreign to any in recorded Original Earth history. There were animals that, against all of science’s rules, could teleport seemingly anywhere. There were plants that appeared to have minds of their own, and animals that, by all accounts, should not have been able to fly were taking to the air more gracefully than anything mankind had ever encountered. New Earth, as the colonists had unanimously dubbed it, was strange. The foreign life frightened and unnerved its new inhabitants, and it took a very long time for them to sufficiently study it.

                        Following that, however, a full-scale colonization commenced, as inhabitants of the apocalyptic Earth gave in to their desire to rebuild and recuperate, and establishments popped up all over New Earth’s unexplored lands. For a long time, they went by unnoticed. With their focus on establishing a functional home, the survivors rebuilt civilization over the course of five and a half decades before getting their first taste of the kingdom that waited across the sea. Without warning, the medieval kingdoms from other unexplored lands sent their forces in shoals, believing their might more than enough to crush the newcomers. They were wrong.

                        The survivors retaliated in kind, allowing the New Earth Coalition, the survivors’ only functioning military at the time, declared martial law. The will of the military became the highest priority. A world of hope and possibility became the largest battlefield that humanity had ever fought upon.

                        The war began.



© 2015 Mister Suede


Author's Note

Mister Suede
Should be relatively finished, but WILL likely be subject to minor edits and such in the near future. Review it fairly and honestly, please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

at first I kind of thought, this is a lot of information to take in straight up. but having read it all it seems as though this is going to be an epic story and I'm keen to read more. I think what you've written in the prologue, although grand and chock full of information, seems to all be necessary to the story, so if it is as epic as it looks then its worth it. you've obviously put a lot of research into what your writing about too which adds credibility to your audience (in that the explanation's haven't been dumbed down to the point where it's a little juvenile). so far so good, looking forward to the first chapter.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mister Suede

8 Years Ago

Thank you! I try to stay true to Science-Fiction in that most of the Science-Fiction bits are at lea.. read more
Liddy Magregor

8 Years Ago

no worries, I like the ideas you've come up with, a new world, it all seems very original to me but .. read more



Reviews

It isn't too bad. The plot seems like once it picks up it could be interesting, but you make a few mistakes that will probably come out with editing. for example:
"Though it was a longshot at best, the desperation of humanity had finally reached its limits, so they immediately set to work. "
You describe humanity's desperation as something that hit a fever pitch, and then say they started work immediately. its murky language. Overall, theres some sports that need some tightening up, but as you say, its a work in progress. Try to say as much as you can with as few words in the future, you might be able to avoid that kind of murky stuff. Good stuff nonetheless.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Well that's no good at all. Out of one war and into another. Still, they would have advanced technology on their side, so let's see how this goes, yes? I'm incredibly intrigued, and I don't agree that there's too much. It held no more information than that of a video game intro, though I don't mean to compare beyond that point. I usually take a moment to comment on any grammar or spelling errors I see, but aside from one misuse of there, their, they're, I've got nothing! This prologue flowed nicely, and the imagery was as brilliant as a picture. Very well done!

Posted 8 Years Ago


at first I kind of thought, this is a lot of information to take in straight up. but having read it all it seems as though this is going to be an epic story and I'm keen to read more. I think what you've written in the prologue, although grand and chock full of information, seems to all be necessary to the story, so if it is as epic as it looks then its worth it. you've obviously put a lot of research into what your writing about too which adds credibility to your audience (in that the explanation's haven't been dumbed down to the point where it's a little juvenile). so far so good, looking forward to the first chapter.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mister Suede

8 Years Ago

Thank you! I try to stay true to Science-Fiction in that most of the Science-Fiction bits are at lea.. read more
Liddy Magregor

8 Years Ago

no worries, I like the ideas you've come up with, a new world, it all seems very original to me but .. read more
I really like science-fiction, and this looks like the start of a great story. You provided a good introduction to the story by establishing the time period and history. I am interested in the story, and i will read the next chapters later.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mister Suede

8 Years Ago

Thanks a lot! The prologue went through quite a few revisions before it got to where it is now, so I.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 22, 2015
Last Updated on September 22, 2015


Author

Mister Suede
Mister Suede

About
I'm just a guy with too much time and nothing better to do. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Dawn Dreamer