Windows of the Soul

Windows of the Soul

A Story by Nathan Thompson

 

Our eyes, what perfect instruments they are!

    How they react to light, how they react to darkness.

    They help us read the works of great men now gone, how they allow us to look upon a beautiful painting and help us understand the mind of the artist. How can anything allow us to view nothing but an assorted collection of paint upon old paper, and yet the paints imprint on the paper allows us to see what the artist was thinking?

    They truly are incredible things, spheres of insight. Have you ever looked into the eyes of one you love? Truly looked? Seen all there is to see? Have you marvelled at the multitude of colours there? Have the counted the eyelashes? Have you wondered what sights those eyes have seen? Have you wondered what the one you love thinks when they look into yours?

    I wish I could see through the eyes of all people that is and has ever been.

    Would I see all the wonderful, incredible things that man has seen through the years? Would I see the birth of all men and women? Would I see the world from the highest peak of Everest and see the beauty of the Himalayas, or would I see the world from the moon, two perfect views of the world, from two completely different places, both so unique that they have never been shared by the same person. If that person were to exist one day, that person would - without doubt - be someone to be envied beyond all others.

    Would I see every painting every painted? Would I read every book ever written? Every film ever made, every game ever played. Every statue every sculptured, every building ever built, every breathtaking sight ever seen? 

    Or would I see the twisted, evil, terrible sights that have been imparted on our poor eyes since the dawn of civilisation?

    Would I see war, the greatest of humanities crimes, would I see the countless millions that have suffered because of the evil and miss-guided minority?

    Would I see the murders of the most innocent of victims, the children that die at the hands of those that supposed to care about them the most?

    Would I see through the eyes of both perpetrator and victim of all of these atrocities?

    Would I see infection running rife through the streets of all cities, would I watch as The Plague cripples Europe?

    Would this gift be a curse or blessing? Would it raise us above our own sense of placement in this world, or would it destroy us, sending our consciousness back into the furthest reaches of our minds, where we could at last be safe from the terrible images that would assault us?

     Hmm, perhaps my wish is flawed.

     As always, there is too many questions and, as always, never any answers.

     Would this gift, enable me to find the answers?

     Catch twenty-two.

© 2008 Nathan Thompson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Gifts are queer things. We must take the good with the bad to understand the true measure.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Some brilliant questions here.
The eyes that see and yet can be so blind. Well thought out written piece, makes one think if we would find our answers.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Hmm, perhaps my wish is flawed.

As always, there is too many questions and, as always, never any answers.

Would this gift, enable me to find the answers?

Catch twenty-two.................interesting concept, awaiting your answer

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 10, 2008
Last Updated on August 7, 2008

Author

Nathan Thompson
Nathan Thompson

Manchester, United Kingdom



About
Well, hi there all...erm...I'm Nathan, I'm 26 and I live in Manchester, England (for the people who consider England too small a country to know where it is, it's that weird shaped one just above Fra.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Lucid Lucid

A Chapter by TL Boehm