Loneliness

Loneliness

A Story by Nathan Thompson
"

In the film 'Collateral Beauty' a guy meets the personifications of 3 abstractions, Love, Time, Death. And it got me wondering what other abstractions might say to us.

"

Do you hear that sound? You can I know. It’s the sound of waves of different non-sounds all together. Sounds that, at some point, like everything, had an origin but that has now been lost to suffocation and distance and now is nothing more then something to fill in the noiselessness. Or it may be the cacophony of sounds made by wires and speakers in a box. That is the sound of my voice.

And as for what I look like, I am just on the edge of vision. The shadow on the wall. The light reflected on a pool of water. Or I may be the flickering lights of a bunch of wire and lights in a box. That is the sight of my body

I can cripple and give the air a chill that no radiator can warm, or I can be the slow warmth of allowing you to collect your thoughts and silence the nagging worries that have been draining you of strength all day and now, no one one to bug you, no one to witness you, you can relax.

I am loneliness, I admit it, but I am also solitude. I am with you when you need someone to talk to. I am also there when you need some personal space.

I can also be with you in a crowded room when you don’t know anyone. I can be with you at a party you didn’t want to go to, holding your hand while you hold weak drink in your other.

I’m not here to hurt you. I’m the unappreciated companion, but that is all I am. I don’t want to make you cry. I hold the hands of dying people. When there families are there, they don’t understand. And beneath the fear, there is the knowledge that they are alone.

You need me. You need to feel me every now and then. You have to not hate yourself when I am around, you have to not feel guilty when you want to blow off your friends for being with me. You need to accept that at some points in your life I might be around a lot and that’s ok. You have to not let me make you do stupid things when I make you sad.

Don’t worry. You will learn when you need to let me in.

© 2018 Nathan Thompson


Author's Note

Nathan Thompson
taking requests and these will hopefully get longer

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on March 17, 2018
Last Updated on March 17, 2018
Tags: loneliness

Author

Nathan Thompson
Nathan Thompson

Manchester, United Kingdom



About
Well, hi there all...erm...I'm Nathan, I'm 26 and I live in Manchester, England (for the people who consider England too small a country to know where it is, it's that weird shaped one just above Fra.. more..

Writing