Hostile Takeover

Hostile Takeover

A Story by Nila M.

Deep within myself I am a silent witness to the cold number crunching of my own mind. In my darkest hours I have sought refuge in angels and demons. This integral part of me seems to have run amok and now only seeks its own strange purpose. And I am here, trapped inside with it. Subject to its tempestuous moods and turns.

Some days it is pensive and quiet and allows me to rest and work. Other days it is mad and maniacal and seems to want only darkness. It casts dreary and frightening images of my own ruin across the landscape and will not allow for any peace.

I have initiated a sort of dialogue in the past, but it refuses to listen to reason and scoffs at pleas of compassion. While it is affable and kind to others, its main goal is to torment me. I find this odd as we both must share this space together. This space and time.

It has been withdrawn lately, and for a while has only offered minor negative viewpoints. But maybe it is just resting and collecting its strength for another attempt at the coup.

I have taken residence in a small wooden cabin on the banks of the Rio Hondo. I left all my things at the house on Chicory Street and have avoided town for quite some time. I can not respond properly in conversation and have lost the desire to spend time near others.

At present, I am watching three riders and ponies in the distance navigate the muddy banks of the river. They seem to be moving north to south, but are more or less dim figures to me. The wind blows softly and trees shake their leaves.

As night approaches I feel some relief. I will sit on the porch in my small wooden chair and wait for the stars to ascend. I wonder what the riders see, when they see me.

Before Camille died, she warned me that people often misconstrued intentions, as their own were frequently questionable. But I didn't take to heart what she said. My involvement in the events of the town was only initiated under the best of intentions. Had I known what I know now, I would have kept quiet in the house on Chicory Street. The avarice of men it seems knows no limits.

The riders have turned to the east and now I can make out a face. Stan Pitkin is leading the other two, and they're coming this way. I helped save his daughter two years ago during a flash flood that came tearing down the valley, pulled her from the muck at the last moment. It's a shame how things can turn out. I should have known better than to involve myself in these disputes when it concerns money and pride. By the time the three men are within shouting distance Stan is already reaching for his Winchester. I could run but it would not matter. At least it will quiet that demon in my head. I close my eyes and wait for it.

© 2015 Nila M.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a very well written piece. You seem to say more with the absence of story. I've always liked that kind of writing. You leave the reader to fill in the blanks, and it creates very robust set of characters and setting. I also very much like your description of the internal struggle. Well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nila M.

8 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and commenting! I also liked the gaps in the story, I like the idea of filling it.. read more



Reviews

WOW! I love this! Your story starts out vague & I was imagining “it” as being my own bipolar disorder, which could be described quite a bit like you’ve done here. But then your story gradually moves from a cerebral jaunt to more of a movie-like scene of impending consequences. I love the way you hint at things, leaving plenty to the reader’s imagination. I love the way your story is so short & yet it conveys so much. This is the perfect short vignette for today’s online readers with short attention spans. I live near a wilderness along the central coast of California, so I could “see” everything as if looking out my window past my computer monitor. I love the fatalistic ending – so powerful! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


Nila M.

5 Years Ago

Thank you very much! I'm seriously going to read what you wrote above when I'm feeling down about my.. read more
I like this one too. I like all your pieces here on WC. Nila you leave room for the reader to envision the narrative as they perceive and interpret it. I read an original voice in your writing. A rarity these days. As I do with my own writing, keep revisiting your pieces from time to time and see if they reveal more to you over time and then retell the story. I'm always surprised when a month or a year later, my stories "magically" reveal more. Thats when you know ya got a winner. Keep posting.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Nila M.

5 Years Ago

I'm so happy to hear comments like yours, thank you. It can be difficult encapsulate big ideas in sm.. read more
Wow really great story...I love that's it's so unpredictable. I absolutely loved that it was dark, well done

Posted 7 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
BL
Ththis is a great opening for a story and definitely needs to be continued. I like the character and place names you have used, they will help create a strong framework for your story as and when it progresses. Your characters need to escape and hide makes me as a reader want to find out more about him and seek him out, which indicates you have good writing skill. Also there are more openings than closures here which need finishing off, I like your descriptions of nature and your surroundings.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Intriguing. You open a number of storylines here...I wonder if it is part of something or it stands alone ?

Posted 8 Years Ago


Nila M.

8 Years Ago

It was originally part of something else but I started not to like it so I just used the images I li.. read more
This is a very well written piece. You seem to say more with the absence of story. I've always liked that kind of writing. You leave the reader to fill in the blanks, and it creates very robust set of characters and setting. I also very much like your description of the internal struggle. Well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nila M.

8 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and commenting! I also liked the gaps in the story, I like the idea of filling it.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

696 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 29, 2015
Last Updated on November 9, 2015
Tags: Short, story, fiction, stories

Author

Nila M.
Nila M.

CA



About
I live in California. I love reading, writing and playing music. more..

Writing
Becoming Becoming

A Story by Nila M.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fragrant party Fragrant party

A Story by Woody


mistrust mistrust

A Story by Woody


Squaw Squaw

A Story by Samuel Dickens