Once we were lovers.

Once we were lovers.

A Poem by Nwang

         
                      As warning clouds darken the skies.
                      The woman, which is her
                      Stands across the road.
                  
                      As the dark skies burst open
                      With rains of change.
                      The red umbrella she holds,
                       That emerald jacket she wears,
                      Visible in pouring heavens.

                      She stands across the street;
                      Farther and farther away.
                      She looks at me,
                      I look at her.
                      (Once we were lovers, of a different time.)

                     As the light turns red;
                     As the distance between us decreases.

                    She recognizes me,
                    I remember her,
                    Memories flood:
                    And the dam of the past breaks,
                    Sinking the soul 
                    In a sea of heartbreak.

                    She found me,
                    I found her,
                    The traffic stops,
                   She moves towards me,
                   I move towards her.
                   (Once we were lovers, of a different time.)

                 The fulfillment of happiness,
                 The commencing of sorrow,
                 The feelings of guilt,
                 The anger, the hate,
                 The love, the loneliness.

                 Our eyes meet;
                 They speak volumes in seconds.
                 More than the conversations we had
                 While my  head rested on her lap.

                 The distance reduces,
                 We can hear each other breathe;
                 What feels like an eternity suddenly ends.

                 She walks past me,
                 I walk past her,
                 We are strangers, now
                 Like the other six billion.
                (Once we were lovers, of a different time.)

© 2016 Nwang


Author's Note

Nwang
Review!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is an interesting story that straddles reality & unreality. I like the way you include much descriptive detail & the way you impart a double meaning to such concepts as rain, distance, flood, & more. In the fourth stanza/couplet, distance is increasing, but in following stanzas, distance is decreasing . . . to me, this seems a little confusing. I like the number of times you repeat the parenthetical phrase (often poets feel the need to repeat something in every stanza, which feels too repetitive to me). Your last stanza is especially powerful with the phrase: "like the other six billion" . . . I can almost feel the hopefulness thru-out, then dashed at the end.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nwang

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the review. In the poem the protagonist in his mind wants to the woman to be far away, th.. read more



Reviews

Wow this poem is amazing, it has a deep meaning about love & the distance after heartbreak. It's a poem I can read over & over again. Something I can definitely relate to! Sad but brilliant. Your poems are extraordinary!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Nwang

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your lovely review!
Such a stunning piece here! It hurts to be emotionally detached from the person you've physically chosen to be in a relationship with. I've often had thoughts of wanting to be further away from who I am with...but I know he stays with me for many reasons, even if I don't happen to understand them to their full extent. Being emotionally detached is often more dangerous to a relationship than actual cheating. You told a compelling story, I truly enjoyed it! Keep up the good work!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Nwang

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the review. ^_^
The loads of emotions can flood in, in just a few seconds. The read felt as if it was sequence of a movie. so well portrayed. What if feels like, when the precious moments of the past come in front of us. Yet, little we can do except for cherishing them. I love this poem.

Posted 7 Years Ago


What a brilliant description of distance and love....I just liked it... It's not a new thing of course but the kind of sentences you hv formed here sound amazing... The expressive ways of describing her, the climate, the deep feelings and especially the distance is just unbelievable... I am surprised by your way of writing.... I truly have begun to fall in love with your writing style... it's awesome as the way of adding words like flood, emerald jacket, other six billion etc show good emphasis. great job dear!!!
Anindita : )

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Anindita Janhabee

7 Years Ago

I had been to Kolkata just 2 months back and I wrote many poems there. those ones I am going to post.. read more
Nwang

7 Years Ago

Of course, it will be my pleasure.
Anindita Janhabee

7 Years Ago

I hv unloaded 2 chapters of the book.. try reading. plz feel free to share your views...
This is an interesting story that straddles reality & unreality. I like the way you include much descriptive detail & the way you impart a double meaning to such concepts as rain, distance, flood, & more. In the fourth stanza/couplet, distance is increasing, but in following stanzas, distance is decreasing . . . to me, this seems a little confusing. I like the number of times you repeat the parenthetical phrase (often poets feel the need to repeat something in every stanza, which feels too repetitive to me). Your last stanza is especially powerful with the phrase: "like the other six billion" . . . I can almost feel the hopefulness thru-out, then dashed at the end.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nwang

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the review. In the poem the protagonist in his mind wants to the woman to be far away, th.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 4, 2015
Last Updated on August 2, 2016

Author

Nwang
Nwang

kolkata, west bengal, India



About
"When you can't change the world and you don't want to change yourself. The only thing you can do is create a new world." I write to express myself, my views and my opinions. So this is my world. .. more..

Writing
Ties that bind Ties that bind

A Story by Nwang


Branded Branded

A Poem by Nwang


Boundaries Boundaries

A Poem by Nwang



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Syringe Syringe

A Story by Anthony Wayne