The Gift That Binds

The Gift That Binds

A Story by Omegax45
"

The worth of a gift depends on its meaning. For two young children, it could mean so much more than what it was originally intended.

"

The Gift That Binds

By Omegax45

 

 

  It was the day before Valentine’s Day.  A day to celebrate love of all kinds.  Of course, the stores hade such a big deal of it that the holiday was exaggerated, the gifts flashier and more expensive as each year passed.  However, lovers from all over simply spend the day with each other, enjoying one another’s company. 

On such a day, a young boy was running down a sidewalk, a plastic bag of money in his small hands.  He was only eight years old, an age some would say that did not know what true love was.  To the child, however, it was not about love at all that he was about to do what he came to do.  It was about a very important event that would take place tomorrow.

He entered the small shop and finds what he was looking for.  The elderly man running the shop looks up from his newspaper to see the shy boy showing him the item in question and the money.  Chuckling with a soft smile, the elderly man takes the money and gives the young boy his change and a receipt.  Thanking the man, the young boy runs home.

 

* * * *

 

The next day, there was no school, so the young boy wraps his gift and leaves his home.  He holds the gift carefully and protectively, as if it was the greatest treasure in the world.  He was heading to the park, where he was to meet up with someone.  However, there was a group in his path…and they spotted him.

There were a group of children in a grade higher than his own.  They were notorious for beating up on younger children and stealing from them.  The young boy hadn’t expected to run across them today, and he knew they were eyeing his gift.  Clutching the gift tightly to himself, he began to run.  He tried to evade the group and reach the park, where there would be adults to protect him.  However, he wasn’t fast enough.

 They had him on the ground, hitting him with their fists before repeatedly kicking him.  The young boy whimpered in pain, trying to curl up as best as he could while protecting the gift.  They eventually pried his arms away and grabbed the gift from him, laughing and telling how pathetic he was.

 Suddenly, a shout was heard and the group ran away, terrified to get in trouble.  Two adults helped the young boy to his feet while another chased the group.  The adults asked him questions, but the young boy could not answer them, his eyes dripping with tears and his throat full of sobs. 

 They took his gift.

 

* * * *

 

The young boy was returned home and his wounds bandaged.  His mother was making him lunch while his father was out, shopping for groceries.  It didn’t matter to the young boy.

He had saved a lot of money for that gift.  He was supposed to give it to the one he was meeting by the lake today.  Today was the last day to do it.  He could see it now:  That person was still waiting, thinking he had ditched.  That person must hate him.

He tried not to cry.  Crying was something men don’t do.  He just had to tell that person he was sorry and what happened.

He just hoped that it was not too late.

 

* * * *

 

His mother refused to let him out of the house.  She was afraid the group would attack him again.  He tried to explain, but she wouldn’t let him out.  The young boy tried sneaking out, but his mother caught him and kept him in his room.  He was trapped in his own house, thanks to that group.

The sun was beginning to set, indicating the end of Valentine’s Day.  The young boy felt like crying again.  He missed his chance.  The person waiting for him must hate him now.  Doesn’t want to see him again.  Upon morning that person will get that wish.

His mother called for him.  It must be dinner time.  Sadly, he heads downstairs, only to find there was no smell of cooked food.  His mother was also by the open door with his father.  Curious, he walks up to the open door.

Standing by the porch was a couple and their child, a young girl.  She was the same age as him and appeared concerned for the young boy’s bandages.  The young boy looked shocked to see the person that he was going to meet earlier today and was about to walk up to her when he remembered the stolen gift.  He hesitated, unsure if he should go meet with her.  His father held out something for him.  The young boy’s eyes widened in shock:  it was his lost gift!

 His mother had told his father what happened and the elder talked to the parents of the group of children that attacked his son.  They had returned the gift to him.  Happily, the young boy took the gift and walked up to the young girl, handing her the gift.  Smiling softly, the girl opens the gift to find a small box inside.  Within the box was a pendant with a small green stone set in a heart.  Her eyes lit up with joy and she thanks the young boy, giving him a kiss on the cheek.  She then gives him a gift and he opens it to find a ring inside, a matching stone in the center.  He thanks her for the gift and they have a few words before the young girl left.  The young boy places the ring on his finger and smiles, then his eyes become sad.

 The young girl was moving tomorrow.  Her family was heading far away.  He would not see her again.  All he has of her now is the ring…and the memory of her.

 

* * * *

 

A young man walked to the shores of a lake, dressed in a high school uniform.  On his pinky was a ring that appear to be to tight for his hand, but he didn’t care.  It was a memento of someone he loved in his youth.

Ten years have passed since that day.  The group of children had been grounded for what they did to him, but they tried to get their revenge.  However, the school had become weary of their bullying and threatened to expel them if anyone reported to them of their abuse.  Needless to say, they left everyone alone.  The young boy had grown, working a part-time job to earn money for college and playing on his school’s soccer team.  They had won a few championships and he even earned a scholarship, but he wanted to become a doctor, so he declined.  Some called him a fool, but he wasn’t really passionate about the game.  It was a pastime to him.

Another concerned that had many after him was his lack of a girlfriend.  He had refused the hands of many, not even bothering to go to dances or proms.  When asked why, he would tell them that he was waiting for someone.  When they asked who, all he would say was a special someone.

He knew his chances of seeing her again were slim.  He didn’t know where she lived, so he couldn’t send letters or call her.  He had kept the ring, wearing it almost all the time.  He had fallen for her, yet she wasn’t by his side.  He didn’t find any other girl attractive.  It was her and only her.

He sighed and went to leave.  Graduation was tomorrow and he had to be ready for his mother’s sake.  As he turned, his eyes caught something.  Turning, he saw it was a young woman, wearing a simple school uniform and smiling at him.  His eyes widened.

He knew this young woman.  She had changed over the years, but there was no denying that it was her.  That hair.  Those eyes.  It was the same one he had said goodbye to all those years ago.

Around her neck was the same necklace he had given her, the green stone shining bright.

 

THE END

© 2011 Omegax45


Author's Note

Omegax45
Something sweet for the holiday. Happy Valentine's Day.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

awww...this is so cute! luv it! =D

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
1 Review
Added on February 9, 2011
Last Updated on February 9, 2011

Author

Omegax45
Omegax45

CT



About
I have published my second book in the series after three years: Hell's Detective: Lust. It is available now on Amazon Kindle and soon to be available as a paperback. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Omegax45