Prologue of a Warrior

Prologue of a Warrior

A Chapter by Brittany L. Engels
"

"Faolan" a warrior dog of the Firma Kero, is given a new mission that changes his life...

"

  This world is not the place it was once meant to be.  It’s a dying and desperate land, inhabited by dying and desperate creatures.   This world is filled with a darkness that infects the hearts and souls of those lost in its shadows.  But here in this place of hopelessness, of fear, and even torment, the wayward and the captives can see the chance for freedom… in the Great Dio.

 

That is exactly why I wandered through the dark world, far away from my rightful home in Promeso.  The Great Dio, who is my Leader, sent me out many years ago as a messenger and a warrior in His pack, the Firma Kero.  I am honored to be His servant and His captive.  By my own choice, I live my life not as I please, but as it pleases Him.

 

My work seemed simpler back when I had just begun, when I had no companions at my side.  I had all too quickly built a reputation as a hero, freeing any dog held captive by our many enemies.  I traveled wherever I wanted in those days, living the careless (though not truly care-free) life of a drifter between my missions.  It seemed like a wonderful life at the time, but, I don’t think I would ever want it back.  No, I much prefer my life as it is now.

 

I remember very clearly how things changed, but then it’s hard to forget something like that…  I had been staying in the FidoTerro.  The Roko Kero pack had been more than welcoming and let me stay on the land as long as I needed.  Their leader, Peadar, was known for being both fearless and wise, and I considered it a great privilege to stay with him as long as I did.

 

I enjoyed my time in the FidoTerro.  Not just because of the pack living there at that time, but, because I knew whose land it had been first.  Tor… the dog who found his way to Promeso without the aid of a guide… the warrior who fought Malvirto’s dark creatures and won… The land I was on was where he had founded his pack, the Daŭra Kero.  And it was where the legend of “Ardon”, a warrior who lived through battle and was brought back from death, was born as well.  That place was rich in our history, and being there made me feel somehow connected to the past.

 

Eventually, the time came when the Great Dio sent a messenger to me, saying, “Go, free those held captive, and free the souls who are bound in the darkness.”  I asked the messenger where I was to go and he told me, “Walk east, until you find them.”

 

At his words I left.  I didn’t take the time to tell Peadar and the Roko Kero that I was leaving.  I didn’t thank them for their kindness or share one last hunt with them. 

 

I was thinking only of getting to my mission, of reaching the horrid enemy camp and freeing the other Kero dogs.  I honestly believed I was being noble, the way I lived.  The Great Dio didn’t see it that way however.  Oh, I wish I could’ve seen then, what kind of trouble that mission would bring me…  For, if I could have seen what was coming, I might have at least slowed my pace.



© 2014 Brittany L. Engels


Author's Note

Brittany L. Engels
This this a sample of my new novel "Kaptito Kero". If you'd like to buy the full book you can find it at: https://www.createspace.com/4610324
You can also follow the Kero books at:
www.twitter.com/KeroWarriors
www.goodreads.com/PasiajKero
www.kerowarriors.blog.com/

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
Added on January 17, 2014
Last Updated on January 31, 2014
Tags: dog, wolf, wolves, fox, cat, animal, wild, love, grace, hope, fight, warrior, hero, rescue, bound, captive, broken, Savior, God, Lord, dark, kindness, esperanto, Christian, adventure


Author

Brittany L. Engels
Brittany L. Engels

GA



About
I have every intention of enjoying my life. -Job 33:28 (NCV)... I do enjoy my life, whether I'm doing what I love or doing what I must. What I 'love' (of course) is writing, I have a series of novel.. more..

Writing