Carolina (Prompt 1)

Carolina (Prompt 1)

A Story by Patient X
"

Dance with me, Carolina.

"
Her name was Carolina. She was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. Hair like midnight, eyes liquid gold, I could stare at her for eons. Dancing was her method of expression. Like an angel, she would flit around a ballroom, spinning round and round, leaving each individual she passed in a trance. 

"Who is that?"

"That's Carolina" 

A face never defiled by makeup, she was a vision. Always in the most beautiful gowns. If you were blessed with the gift of joining her for a dance, you were mesmerized. They say her touch was electric, an explosion of feeling. Nothing like it. I was never so lucky. I tried fruitlessly to catch her eye, her interest. She was bigger than me. Bigger than us all. A supernova. 

It was a crisp September evening when I decided to follow the goddess home. Filled with desire, intoxicated, I needed more of her. She didn't even sense my presence...

Her pale white legs seemed to glow in the moonlight as she gracefully walked down the deserted street. She was floating on air. A true angel. At one point I almost reached out to check her beautiful back for a set of feathery white wings. Sweet melody filled my ears as she began to hum a little tune. Her seductive lips opening and closing ever so slightly. Enough to drive me insane. God, I wanted her. 

Then she started to dance. 

We had come to a small park. Hiding in the shadows, I had yet to be discovered. She assumed she was alone. Slipping off her heels, her tiny white feet sunk into the dewy grass. Under the light caress of moonlight she danced. Oh how she danced. No partner was suitable for her. A true cut above the rest. Her willowy arms spread, she spun and spun. Her sparkling emerald gown splayed in a tornado of fabric. Eyes closed, she smiled into the night. Truly content. I had never been more in love.

The desire to join her overwhelmed me. From my place in the shadows, I ached for her. To be the one she smiled at. To see in those golden eyes the same emotion I felt for her. My angel. My Carolina. Dancing to her own melody. She didn't need anyone else. Didn't need me. 

I couldn't look away. My beautiful ballerina, dancing under the stars. She was perfect. 

I had made my decision. She would be mine. 

Emerging from the shadows, I prayed she would not run. Use those legs for dancing, Carolina. Eyes still closed, she did not see me. As I grew ever closer, a slight breeze sent me a whiff of her perfume. Lavender. I could not take it any longer.

I did not wish to frighten her. To take that sparkling smile off her angelic face would be the death of me. Her backed turned to me, we were mere feet apart. She froze, my presence was known.

"Hello?"

That voice sent shivers down my spine. 

"Hello, Carolina"

She turned around and blessed me with that gorgeous face. In her fiery eyes I saw confusion.

"How do you know my name? Who are you?"

"Silly questions, Carolina"

I reached out to cup her perfect cheek. She pulled away, no longer smiling. 

"Have you been watching me?"

"You're a beautiful dancer"

Those deep eyes grew wide. I had frightened her. 

"Thank you, but I must be going. It's late"

She shot me a smile, this one fake, and turned to leave. You can't fool me, Carolina. I quickly grabbed her thin wrist, my hold tight. I wouldn't let my angel fly away from me. 

"May I at least have this dance?"

I gave her my best smile and watched as her resolve quickly faded. She was too kind, a true angel. 

"I suppose one dance couldn't hurt"

Nothing could hurt more than if she didn't give me one. 

I don't know what type of dance the princess was expecting me to ask for, but any would satisfy. I wanted nothing more than to be close to her. 

"Dance with me, Carolina"

We danced. My hand on her waist, I felt the electricity. My body was an inferno. She had closed her eyes again, but mine were glued on that face. She was perfection incarnate. Our bodies moved together to an ancient melody. I had never felt more at peace. More in love. She started to pull away, parting her long lashes to open her eyes.

"I really must be g..."

I silenced her with a kiss. The moment our lips met I knew I could never go back. She was the sweetest thing I had ever tasted. Irresistible. Neither fighting back or giving in, she sighed into my mouth. I'd never heard a sadder sound. Taking her silky locks into my fingers, I gently pulled back her head and gazed upon her porcelain face. Her eyes took me on a journey. They were full of mourning. We stared at each other. 

"I love you, Carolina"

The lips that moments ago were on mine now remained motionless. She continued to stare. I saw pity. I took her elegant hands into mine.

"You're an angel, Carolina"

I felt her hands slipping out of my fingers. She was pulling away with a sad smile. 

"It's time for me to go home"

At first I let her go, following her only with my eyes. Still awestruck I had touched a piece of heaven. I had kissed her. The moonlight danced on her shining black locks as she walked away from me. 

No. Not my angel.

Running towards her, I yanked her back by her hair.

"You can't leave me, Carolina"

I pulled her to me, felt her fragile little heart beating rapidly against my chest. She was scared. Our rapid breaths mingled together in a dance of their own. 

"Please"

That one word was filled with so much sorrow and fear that I almost let her go. Almost let her fly away. Almost. Making sure I had a good grip on her, I slipped a hand into my jacket. Her face was against my shoulder, so she didn't see how beautifully the moonlight glinted off the knife. I pressed her tighter to me, moaning at how right it felt. She was crying now. I couldn't bear to see her cry. Not those eyes. I traced a line down her perfect leg with my blade. Her entire body tensed. 

"Shhhhh. It'll be alright, Carolina"

I gently brushed her hair off that milky white neck. Spoiling myself, I pressed my lips to it and tasted her. She was delicious. I could feel her shaking. 

"Don't cry, my angel"

It was time for her to go home. Where she belonged. I would respect her wishes. I would not follow.

"Time to go home, Carolina"

Sinking the knife into her perfect neck, she didn't make a sound. Her warm blood washed over me. I let her body fall, her final dance. She was home now. In heaven. With all of the other angels. Looking down at her lifeless body, she was still perfect. I had set her free. She was better than the rest of us. We didn't deserve her. 

I left her there, in the park. On her dance floor. The world would be darker without her, but it's what we deserved. 

Walking down the streets the next day, I ran into two women in animated conversation. Some may have called them pretty. They paled in comparison to my angel. I leaned in to listen.

"You'll never guess what happened in the park where we used to take Tim when he was a kid"

"You're right. I'm awful at guessing. Just tell me. Wait. The one where he broke his arm jumping off the swings? I think Todd told me he saw the police there this morning. Is everyone alright?"

"Well, you didn't hear it from me, but a little birdie told me that a woman was found there this morning"

"What? Like a missing woman? Oh! Did they finally find Earl's wife? It's been years..."

I rolled my eyes. No one could speak with as much eloquence as my angel. 

"No. This woman wasn't living. They think she was murdered. Apparently there was blood everywhere. No weapon though. That's about all I know. They just found her this morning."

"That's awful! It could have been any one of us! I just walked past that park yesterday!"

Oh, don't worry. It would never have been you. You aren't special. Don't make me laugh. 

"I know. It's frightening to think about"

"Well does anyone know who she is? Is she from around here? Was it some w***e? I saw a documentary about the dangers of prostitution. So many of those poor women get killed. It's terrible"

"Her identity hasn't been released yet. She's a Jane Doe. Just some woman"

I couldn't bear to listen to their ramblings any longer. 

"Her name was Carolina" 

© 2015 Patient X


Author's Note

Patient X
Written for a contest.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really enjoyed this! I liked being inside the mind of the killer. It was interesting because I didn't hate him. Even though he had done such a terrible thing, I still wasn't annoyed by him. Great job.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Marvelous story, I didn't expect the guy to just leave her there. I really like how it is written, cheers.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

355 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 14, 2015
Last Updated on June 14, 2015
Tags: carolina, dance, love, obsession, stalker, murder, shortstory, contest, death

Author

Patient X
Patient X

IL



About
Tell me a story. more..

Writing
Bearald Bearald

A Chapter by Patient X


Snuggles Snuggles

A Chapter by Patient X


Mary Mary

A Chapter by Patient X