What is Art?

What is Art?

A Story by Chloe..Across the Universe
"

a little girls asks this question

"

In your eyes, mind what is Art? We all have our own idea's these are a few of mine story form as usual.. many grammar and spelling mishaps I am sure though I have proofread it over and over...

Anna and her Granny were sitting on the front porch. Anna was reading a book, Granny was shelling purple hull peas. Anna came across a word she was not familiar with . 'Granny'? 'Yes, child'? 'What is this word and what does it mean'? "Let me see, child, I might have to go get my glasses'. Granny held the book out and the bright sunshine shone down on the word in question.'This word is art and well. it's meaning is different to each person.' Granny set her bowl of peas down. 'Come with me and I'll show you some things I call art.' Once inside Granny took Anna to the attic entrance. 'Child this attic is getting hard for me to climb into, if I fall you best help me up', she said to Anna with a chuckle. 'I will Granny'.' I will always help you up, m'am'. Anna loved her Granny with all her little heart.

They climbed the attic stairs and Granny walked to a big wooden chest. She opened it and gingerly lifted out a quilt. She unfolded it and spread it across an old sofa . 'Anna , my Grandmother stitched this quilt for me right before I married your Pa Paw, rest his soul'. Anna looked at the quilt with its many colors, all the intricate stitches and designs, each piece of fabric interwoven so perfectly. "Is this art, Granny, it sure is pretty.'. "To me it is art, yes Anna, to someone else they might just see an old quilt'."I think it is art too , Granny', 'it is so pretty, look at all the designs and colors, looks like a pretty rainbow'. 'Yes, it does child', her Granny agreed. "Anna let's go back downstairs away from this dust before I start sneezing', Granny said. 'You go first , Granny so I can watch and make sure you don't fall', Anna said. The two made their way back downstairs .

"What else is art, Granny'? "Come here child, look at this painting your Pa Paw painted me long ago'. 'I know that one Granny, the one with the blues skies and moonlight shining off the ocean'? 'Yes, come look'. Together they looked at the painting hanging in her Granny's bedroom above her bed.
"Granny, this is art too'? ' Sure is, child, you Pa Paw always wanted to be an artist but it didn't pay the bills so he stuck to farming'. 'Artist'? the little girl said. 'Yes, artist, that's a person who makes art, that person is called an artist'. ' You know the book you are reading, Anna'? 'Yes m'am'. 'You know the person who wrote it , that is an artist too'. Anna thought about this , a hand sewn quilt, a painting , a book, so this was art. "Is there anymore art'? ' Yes, much more'. "Let's go back to the porch and sit'. "Look at the sky, look at the trees with their leaves of red and brown, look at the sunlight, look at the butterfly's over by the Purple Irises'. Anna looked around and she said excitedly,' Art, art , who is the artist Granny'? ' This is the greatest artist of all from how I see things, Anna, its Mother Nature'.' She paints the sky, the trees . the leaves, the rain and snow, she is the aritist , child.' Anna looked at the colors that were so bright her eyes could barley take them all in . "Mother Nature sure is a good artist'. ' That she is love', her Granny agreed.

Granny and Anna sat in silence for a few minutes. 'It sure is quite Anna, go turn on the radio, please' . The girl did as her Granny said and went to the kitchen and flipped the dial on the radio till she heard a song that made her feet tap to it's beat. She skipped back to the porch where her Granny set shelling her peas. " I like this music, it makes me dance', Anna said as she hopped, twrilled  and threw her arms to the sky as the music flowed through her. Her Granny watched her with a loving smile on her face. Just then the song stopped and a song came on that made Anna stop dancing and go set down. The music was so sweet and so sad it filled her little body with a sadness she didn't recognize. 'Anna, do you know that when you danced, that was art'? 'That when the lady sang and the man played his guitar that was art too, and this song that makes you feel a sadness and remember things or people, it is also art'. 'It is , Granny'? 'Just like the quilt your Grandmother stitched for you and the picture Pa Paw painted, the trees and sunshine , singing and dancing, that is all art'? "Like I said child, to me it is art, to someone else , well, they may not think so lots of folks see art differently , some even see things you and I might think ugly as art, it is all in the eye of the person looking and hearing and feeling'. Anna thought awhile. She looked at the sky and heard the music .'Granny to me it is art too' , she proclaimed.
' Well , I guess we see art about the same'. ' Now , I'm finished shelling these peas, lets go have a piece of your Mom's apple pie'. Off they went to the kitchen. The pie set on the kitchen table, the crust was perfect, just brown enough and criss -cross lattice was perfectly in place. Anna looked at the pie and said, 'Granny this is art'. Her Granny laughed and said,' You learn fast child'. "I think I really like art, m'am, yes I do'.



     
 

© 2010 Chloe..Across the Universe


Author's Note

Chloe..Across the Universe
i'm sure you will find errors.. if not .. i did not write it! lol
hope someone might enjoy this ..

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I know this piece, you already posted on "old WC", yes? Beautiful, this is what I want to read to every child. Art is imagination, art is that what other would see as a creation what doesn't exist but.....is opening spaces... revealing a world... that could be.... My favorite lines were:

"She looked at the sky and heard the music .'Granny to me it is art too' , she proclaimed.
' Well , I guess we see art about the same'. " ---------------I suddently have to think about Sophie's world, the book by J. G. sweet it is how you painted my dear Chloe....

It was the greatest way of wasting space beautifullly....... ergo art.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This was an excellant peice of writing. so many different art forms in this peice. And I'm sure that Anna's conversation with her Granny resonates with many people and i'm sure that versions of it have been heard up and down and across the country. Iliked the scene in the attic. So many amazing paintings and pictures are gathering dust when they should be adorning walls. You have shown that even the most mudane of tasks can be an art form to someone who will look and admire, like the apple pie. To me art is creating something from nothing starting off with that canvas and creating weather you be a poet a painter a dancer a baker a sower. And if anyone does that they not only command our respect But our attention also
Excellant work Clohe

Posted 13 Years Ago


Loved it Chloe and my mouth is watering! Need apple pie now! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What beautiful parallels you have written here, you are so right about the artistic beauty in nature.
A gorgeous short Chloe xxxx

Helen~


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this is a sensuously innocent way with ording tht envelops the reader's heart an mind and ways that transport us to another place and time. and i could easily
envision the little girl asking her grandmother a sincere, yet simple question, this writing holds moral, and class, its heart touching, playful and absolutely
well written chloe, you did a marvelous job, I sincerely enjoyed reading this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I really like your story! I think Mother Nature created the most beautiful art of all. This story is a great explaination of what art is, and how it is based on personal opinion. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, I never thought art could be explained like that. I am an artist myself. You really depicted what art is in your own way. Nice style.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

loved it especially this part..."Like I said child, to me it is art, to someone else , well, they may not think so lots of folks see art differenty , some even see things you and I might think ugly as art, it is all in the eye of the person looking and hearing and feeling'. Anna thought awhile. She looked at the sky and heard the music .'Granny to me it is art too' , she proclaimed." sending to friends ,,ty Sunshine


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

What a wonderful story!!! I am sorry I had to skim a little but wanted you to know that I dropped in and I will come back to this to read when my mind is not on the fly and I can truly enjoy. I hope that you are having a wonderful Tuesday. I will most certainly come back to this and give you a more fitting review.

Blessings,
Lesa

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Interesting. Not usually the genre I read, but still quite interesting.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I know this piece, you already posted on "old WC", yes? Beautiful, this is what I want to read to every child. Art is imagination, art is that what other would see as a creation what doesn't exist but.....is opening spaces... revealing a world... that could be.... My favorite lines were:

"She looked at the sky and heard the music .'Granny to me it is art too' , she proclaimed.
' Well , I guess we see art about the same'. " ---------------I suddently have to think about Sophie's world, the book by J. G. sweet it is how you painted my dear Chloe....

It was the greatest way of wasting space beautifullly....... ergo art.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

374 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 5, 2008
Last Updated on May 9, 2010
Previous Versions

Author

Chloe..Across the Universe
Chloe..Across the Universe

Smalltown, USA, AR



About
Sometimes i feel like an alien in a strange land..can you relate? I love people and friends are just that to me , friends-if you request me as a friend it would be nice if you read something I have .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Poem A Poem

A Poem by Sean Allen